The Student Room Group

AQA Business Studies Unit 2 (BUSS2) Revision thread.

Scroll to see replies

dime_piece
Hey, could someone bullet point their answer to the questions bellow:

Evaluating the extent to which a business has control over its marketing mix
Factors that will determine the success or otherwise of a new product

They are the only marketing questions which i cannot answer!

well a business has to take certain consideration espacially external factors which put a constraint on how much control they have over their marketing mix some of these factors include:
Legal factors-such as bans on certain forms of advertising or certain products etc

Economic factors- Eg peoples disposable income varies all the time depending when the economy is in a boom or a recession this can have massive impacts upon their marketing mix

Political-taxes will be set on certain goods meaning there will be a limitation on the extent they can alter their price.

You can then apply each point to the case study and say how they may have to change their marketing mix and what limits what they can do etc etc and the impacts that will have short term and long term which are evaluative statements.

For your second question, Success of a product could come down to the level of R&D market research to see if customers want the product, promotion strategies to extend the product life cycle. How much competition is out there if its imitative innovative or just the new version of an old product( cant remember what thats called). Quality control could be a factor poor quality can lead to poor products and therefore poor customer satisfaction and hencethe success of the product. ermmm dont know what else i can put for this one

I know its not great dont even know if its right or not but hope it helps anyway
Reply 61
Ramin Gorji

I know its not great dont even know if its right or not but hope it helps anyway

That's what I would say, so I think it is right :smile:
Reply 62
Does anyone have any past papers for buss2? I know there are a few on the AQA website, but does anyone have January's?
Reply 63
Here is the specification because someone was asking for it :smile: (taken from tutor2u)

Finance

Spoiler

People in Business

Spoiler

Operations Management

Spoiler

Marketing and the Competitive Environment

Spoiler

Reply 64
Hey MagicDust:smile: umm, are those all the formulas ? because i have learnt them all :biggrin: and are you sure the first two are before tax, i thought net profit was after everything has been taken
Reply 65
GeniusLad
Hey MagicDust:smile: umm, are those all the formulas ? because i have learnt them all :biggrin: and are you sure the first two are before tax, i thought net profit was after everything has been taken

Hello :smile:
Yeah pretty sure, but I'll check my other text books :smile:
Reply 66
GeniusLad

The others seem not to mention it :p: I don't think it really matter to be honest, but at AS level I think the point is you don't have to worry about tax so it doesn't get overly complicated :smile: But I could be wrong!
Reply 67
Okay thankyou ever so much anyhow :smile:
Hey, is anyone using the AS-Level business Studies AQA CGP revision guide for thier exams??
Reply 69
How would you answer this ?

Two Seasons Ltd was originally a single store in Northampton selling sports
equipment and clothing. As the business grew, it focused more on winter sports
equipment. By February 2008, the company had 13 stores in towns across the
Midlands.
Two Seasons Ltd ’s Managing Director, Stuart Roberts, has a simple business
model. The company’s stores are located on, or just off, high streets in towns. It
targets middle-market customers for sports clothing, rather than the high volume,
low price segment of the market which is dominated by giant retailers such as JJB
Sports. As well as sports equipment and clothing, Two Seasons Ltd sells a range of
urban streetwear. The company claims to be the only retailer in the UK to sell this
combination of products and uses it as a unique selling point (USP). Two Seasons
Ltd offers outstanding customer service and its customers frequently recommend it to
friends.
The company has recently opened a new store in the Westfi eld shopping centre in
Derby. This is a smart (and expensive) retail environment and up-market from the
company’s usual locations. Stuart Roberts admits that the Derby shop is very different
in that it is an expensive location. “In the fi rst few weeks, we were getting 7000
people a week coming through the door, compared to our normal 2000 to 3000.”
However, success has come at a price. The cost of opening the Derby store was
£260 000, whereas a new store in a cheaper location in Birmingham was opened at a
cost of only £30 000.
The success of the new store in Derby has persuaded the company to develop further
expansion plans. These plans will mean opening new stores in shopping centres such
as Derby. This is expensive but should increase revenues. On the basis of the Derby
store, opening four new stores would cost approximately £1 million and, despite the
company being profi table over the past fi ve years, this could mean borrowing large
amounts from the bank.

1 (a) Calculate the net profit margin that Two Seasons Ltd would have forecast for
2007–2008 (Figure 2).

Figure 2: Two Seasons Ltd, forecasts for expansion plans

Forecast turnover 2007–2008 financial year - £10.4 million
Forecast net profits 2007–2008 financial year- £275 000
Total number of new stores planned for 2008–2011- 10 –12
Ramin Gorji
well a business has to take certain consideration espacially external factors which put a constraint on how much control they have over their marketing mix some of these factors include:
Legal factors-such as bans on certain forms of advertising or certain products etc

Economic factors- Eg peoples disposable income varies all the time depending when the economy is in a boom or a recession this can have massive impacts upon their marketing mix

Political-taxes will be set on certain goods meaning there will be a limitation on the extent they can alter their price.

You can then apply each point to the case study and say how they may have to change their marketing mix and what limits what they can do etc etc and the impacts that will have short term and long term which are evaluative statements.

For your second question, Success of a product could come down to the level of R&D market research to see if customers want the product, promotion strategies to extend the product life cycle. How much competition is out there if its imitative innovative or just the new version of an old product( cant remember what thats called). Quality control could be a factor poor quality can lead to poor products and therefore poor customer satisfaction and hencethe success of the product. ermmm dont know what else i can put for this one

YAY! Thanks for the reply (I was very hopeful)!
GeniusLad
How would you answer this ?

Two Seasons Ltd was originally a single store in Northampton selling sports
equipment and clothing. As the business grew, it focused more on winter sports
equipment. By February 2008, the company had 13 stores in towns across the
Midlands.
Two Seasons Ltd ’s Managing Director, Stuart Roberts, has a simple business
model. The company’s stores are located on, or just off, high streets in towns. It
targets middle-market customers for sports clothing, rather than the high volume,
low price segment of the market which is dominated by giant retailers such as JJB
Sports. As well as sports equipment and clothing, Two Seasons Ltd sells a range of
urban streetwear. The company claims to be the only retailer in the UK to sell this
combination of products and uses it as a unique selling point (USP). Two Seasons
Ltd offers outstanding customer service and its customers frequently recommend it to
friends.
The company has recently opened a new store in the Westfi eld shopping centre in
Derby. This is a smart (and expensive) retail environment and up-market from the
company’s usual locations. Stuart Roberts admits that the Derby shop is very different
in that it is an expensive location. “In the fi rst few weeks, we were getting 7000
people a week coming through the door, compared to our normal 2000 to 3000.”
However, success has come at a price. The cost of opening the Derby store was
£260 000, whereas a new store in a cheaper location in Birmingham was opened at a
cost of only £30 000.
The success of the new store in Derby has persuaded the company to develop further
expansion plans. These plans will mean opening new stores in shopping centres such
as Derby. This is expensive but should increase revenues. On the basis of the Derby
store, opening four new stores would cost approximately £1 million and, despite the
company being profi table over the past fi ve years, this could mean borrowing large
amounts from the bank.

1 (a) Calculate the net profit margin that Two Seasons Ltd would have forecast for
2007–2008 (Figure 2).

Figure 2: Two Seasons Ltd, forecasts for expansion plans

Forecast turnover 2007–2008 financial year - £10.4 million
Forecast net profits 2007–2008 financial year- £275 000
Total number of new stores planned for 2008–2011- 10 –12

NPM% = NP/REV x 100
= (275,000/10.4mil) x 100 = 2.644230769 = 2.64% to 3sf
Reply 72
Thankyou!! is sales revenue the same as revenue and is that the same as just sales?
Yes, they are all the same thing!
Reply 74
Is there any way we can set up anything better than this thread for revision? Im only on this site to discuss my exams and help people :P Particularly in business Im predicted an A but am aiming (and should get) for an A* so if anyone needs any further help, PM me!
Davott
Is there any way we can set up anything better than this thread for revision? Im only on this site to discuss my exams and help people :P Particularly in business Im predicted an A but am aiming (and should get) for an A* so if anyone needs any further help, PM me!

I would love to be in your position right now (im predicted a B but would love an A*). How are you currently revising for BUSS2? Do you have any word of wisdom:p:
Reply 76
dime_piece
I would love to be in your position right now (im predicted a B but would love an A*). How are you currently revising for BUSS2? Do you have any word of wisdom:p:

Everyone hates my answer to that question.

Open the spoiler as long as you promise it wont annoy you :P

Spoiler

Reply 77
Davott

Spoiler

This is the same as me... although I have also revised lots... Because I NEED an A. As in or I will cry :p: haha. I am 3 marks off an A for economics A level and I didn't revise last year... Hopefully I can pull that up in my retakes this summer :rolleyes:
Davott

Spoiler

Nice :yep: (and no it didnt annoy me), i think its too late to do it this year but i will definately try it for next year!
what does outsourcing mean?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending