The Student Room Group

A2 aqa geography june 2011 official thread

Scroll to see replies

Has anyone got the Jan 11 paper and ms for unit 4A? :smile:
Original post by Ark-Angel
Ah now you see you will be well on for full marks using that. As I said I used London Gateway (which I then incorrectly named the London Docklands cos I am a fool) and therefore may struggle a bit more.

Yeah which is really unlucky really.
even though our textbook had more than yours did on it, i'm pretty sure most people who sat that exam in my school yesterday didn't even know there was a difference between the types of regeneration projects because we hadn't learned it in lesson.

One guy told me after that he did LDDC as well, so I don't know how it's all going to go down.
Original post by hownowbrownowl

One guy told me after that he did LDDC as well, so I don't know how it's all going to go down.

That's the point though I didn't actually do this I did the London gateway and named it incorrectly (or in my memory I named it incorrectly and in the real world I didn't). As I said my teacher hypothesises that London Gateway would be ok (even if the links are tenuous) I just need an examiner who is paying attention enough to note my naming error.

Apart from that I think the exam was ok, but if I miss the A* by a few marks I'll know where to look :frown:
Original post by jacky_12
I was thinking that as I walked out of the exam, then I realised I've got it for the next 3 years of my life cause I'm doing it at uni :L

yeah im not. international politics for me althought i will miss the geo :smile:. not the teacher though:mad:
Haha I don't even know what the London Gateway is!
Oh boy, to be honest I'm just glad the exam is over now.

4 topics to study, 3 topics to write about in 2.5 hours has made my hand feeling week and shake pretty much all day yesterday.
I think they should have just either split the exam up or reduce the amount of topics studied to be honest.
Original post by lizolove
Know the feeling. I revised EVERYTHING. All of it in so much detail and spent so much time on bigger questions, only to find that the 10 markers were on aspects that were covered over 3 lines in the textbooks. How does they expect us to write a page of something when we are taught just 3 lines from a book?!

The syllabus needs to be a lot more specific, I just hope my essay was worth enough to bring up my marks.

Weather? That section was a joke.

It's the worst exam out of the ones i've sat, at least they cover a range of points on the specification. The SQs is more pick a page and we'll test people on that! :/

Thanks to this I probably won't get into uni, irony being my geography exam preventing me from doing a geography degree!
Yes that helps alot thanks :smile: realllly need an A!
Original post by makingamemory
Weather? That section was a joke.

It's the worst exam out of the ones i've sat, at least they cover a range of points on the specification. The SQs is more pick a page and we'll test people on that! :/

Thanks to this I probably won't get into uni, irony being my geography exam preventing me from doing a geography degree!

Resat my other module in order to get a high A, I was only a few marks from an A to start with. Revised all of April and May for it, only to ensure that Module 3 went well and I could get my A for university, and they go and do that.
Seriously planning to complain if my overall mark isn't an A. (Need an A).
It's so cruel that such limited topics came up as the questions and in June last year there were the easiest questions EVER.
Reply 1588
Original post by Natti

Original post by Natti
Sorry this might have been asked already but reading through has just confused me.
I did the WC essay and i wrote about city challenge, UDC's and site and service etc. People on here have said that they wrote about waste and transport management? does this mean i was wrong? this is quite worrying!!

I did the plate tectonis SQ and messed up the minor extrusive qs i wrote about normal extrusive! ggggrrr

The conflict SQ were ok though.

We came to the conclusion that each essay is going to be quite different.. When planning/managing urban areas you could talk about housing, transport, waste, community facilites etcc... In mine I spoke about mainly housing (Sao Paulo, Manchester Hulme - City Challenge) then a brief 2 senteces on transport (London Underground Network & Manchester Women Only Cabs, and how the CMDA (calcutta metropolitan development authority is replacing mud tracks with concrete roads and paths, which can be compared to *any MEDC city*'s attempts to pedestrianize the area and generally make it safer.

I just emphasised the facts that Appropriate Tech. must be specific to that particular urban area, name dropped some stuff like cost-benefit analysis and analysing urban profiles before making planes, communicating with the local community etc.

Hopefully I did write about the correct things here, as I can safely say I could not have got more than 10 marks for both Section A/B.
Reply 1589
Original post by Bee0076

Original post by Bee0076
We came to the conclusion that each essay is going to be quite different.. When planning/managing urban areas you could talk about housing, transport, waste, community facilites etcc... In mine I spoke about mainly housing (Sao Paulo, Manchester Hulme - City Challenge) then a brief 2 senteces on transport (London Underground Network & Manchester Women Only Cabs, and how the CMDA (calcutta metropolitan development authority is replacing mud tracks with concrete roads and paths, which can be compared to *any MEDC city*'s attempts to pedestrianize the area and generally make it safer.

I just emphasised the facts that Appropriate Tech. must be specific to that particular urban area, name dropped some stuff like cost-benefit analysis and analysing urban profiles before making planes, communicating with the local community etc.

Hopefully I did write about the correct things here, as I can safely say I could not have got more than 10 marks for both Section A/B.

Thanks, that has actually made me feel much better, I was really scared because so many conflicting things have been said on here.
Original post by hownowbrownowl
I did Hulme City Challenge Partnership and focussed on that as an example, using details I learned about City Challenge to fit in with the case study of Hulme.
That one was easy for me because Hulme was also our case study of the inner city decline (along with Liverpool) so I just tied in bits and bobs of the two topics together.

My book was by Barker, Redfern and Skinner and was actually ok in some places..

i did hulme city too, just remember the name not much more
so made most of the details up -> will i get penalised?
Err well only if they sound outlandish as you could have found newer data than the book to reflect in what your saying. If your data is obviously wrong ie the number of houses is 200 and you put 2536641 then yes.
They will penalise you if they notice - if not be pleased that you got one over on AQA
Original post by Lucy05
Heyy, I did this essay and talked about transport, waste, housing and pollution so I talked about Curitiba and Sao paulo as well! I used London docklands instead of hulme but they're similar. Haha you've made me feel a bit better!

hehe! you made me feel better !!!
what did you talk about? i kind of just said the the level of economic development affected like the housing, and that curibita did really well on becoming sustainable with good transport but sao paulo is basically a flop
i didnt really get the qu, as stupid as that sounds.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Helen18
Rightt overall I've got 226 points so far and need 54 points to get a B overall (280 points) does anyone know how many marks that means i need to get in the exam just gone yesterday? please cos I'm panicking

i think you need around 28/90 which is gooodd! you'll get that dw!!
Reply 1594
Hi,

Im glad to have got the exam out of the way, 2 and half hours not only gets your hand but your sodding back too!

I did the Development and Globalisation essay, thought it was fairly straight forward question but struggled for case studies apart from China and India and bit of Asian Tigers. With me doing Business, it was good but I kinda wrote it all in Business terms and forgot about Geograhpy which Im worried about, found it hard to link it to the environment and that, oh well, wrote 3 and half pages, hoping for around 25/40 realistically.

Relieved to see others struggled with WC short question in some ways, the diagram was hard to comment on, plus wasted 10 mins on the key as it was so similar colours, kept writing how good the 'West half' was and just used Centre, West, South etc as words. Talked about Hull for urban decline as live there and yes its a ****hole in most places. Used Hulme City for last bit, where is it though, I said it was in London, I think im wrong?? Also made up all the figures, built 2000 homes, created 1500 jobs, I bet they didnt but oh well!

Revised loads on Weather, shame I still couldnt do any of the questions, that map was hard, and had to bottle it as mind went blank on atmopshere so did Volcanoe questions, which I havnt revised, talked out my arse there, hoping for sympathy marks. Last bit, just wrote about different lava types at different margins, struggled really, overall hoping for least a D to get me a B overall. Hope you all get good results :smile:
need 74/120 for a A. what do i need UMS wise?
Reply 1596
Original post by fusion12345
i did hulme city too, just remember the name not much more
so made most of the details up -> will i get penalised?

I don't think they will penalise you. When David Redfern (the man who wrote the exam) came into our 6form he expressed that they don't negatively mark. So the worst case scenario will be they will just ignore it.
Reply 1597
Original post by JFinn237

Relieved to see others struggled with WC short question in some ways, the diagram was hard to comment on, plus wasted 10 mins on the key as it was so similar colours, kept writing how good the 'West half' was and just used Centre, West, South etc as words. Talked about Hull for urban decline as live there and yes its a ****hole in most places. Used Hulme City for last bit, where is it though, I said it was in London, I think im wrong?? Also made up all the figures, built 2000 homes, created 1500 jobs, I bet they didnt but oh well!

I did pretty similar to you with the WC questions, Hulme is in Manchester btw. I made up facts too, I think I put they built 3000 houses, but reading this I think it was more like 300 lol. Ahh well, it's done now, atleast they can see you've got the right idea about what it did.
Hmmm...I was looking at the mark-scheme for when separatism last came-up. It seems to get the higher marks you need to show some sophistication of the example through location and/or time. For example the separatist consequence question, I suggested that the PIRA insurrection had the clear consequence of 1,800 people or so losing their lives but it ultimately over time resulted in the Stormont assembly and the political power sharing deal that has in a way, strengthened the union and lessened the separatist pressure in a sense. I hope that's the sort of stuff it was looking for in-order to access level-3...

- Curtis
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by SAMIR.NASRI
need 74/120 for a A. what do i need UMS wise?

I think that is the ums, as thats out of 120 and the exam was out of 90. I don't know what that works out as in raw marks, other than last year 59/90 was the A I seem to remember.

Quick Reply