Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
If it's about me...

Geology & Petroleum Geology - Aberdeen Uni
Geography and Geoscience - Aberdeen Uni
Environmental Geoscience - Edi
Earth Science - Glasgow
Environmental Geoscience - St. Andrews

I don't really believe I'll get an offer from St. Andrews, but I now I will regret if I don't apply... (;
Question:

How come scottish people are only applying for scottish unis? (predominantly) is this connected to the tuition fees in england?
Reply 82
Original post by Captain Hindsight
Question:

How come scottish people are only applying for scottish unis? (predominantly) is this connected to the tuition fees in england?

Exactly, Scottish Unis are free for us while English Unis cost 27k. Imo Scottish Unis are good enough that its just not worth the money unless you can get into a really top top Uni in England.
Original post by Nat400
Exactly, Scottish Unis are free for us while English Unis cost 27k. Imo Scottish Unis are good enough that its just not worth the money unless you can get into a really top top Uni in England.

this government is really messed up tbh
scottish unis for you are free, whereas if i wanted to go to scotland for a 4 years course it would cost me 36K

it is messed up in the sense that it has restricted you from applying to england and has restricted me from applying to scotland
Applying for French and German at:
Oxford Uni - Do not think I will get an offer but know I will regret it if I don't try :/
Durham Uni
Bath Uni
Warwick Uni
Bristol Uni

They are all quite high but sadly there are few unis that do both french and german in the course I want :frown: means I have to do well or retake the year I guess
Reply 85
Applying for biology/molecular biology at:
St Andrews
Durham (St. Chads)
Bath (got an offer last week!)
Warwick
Royal Holloway
Reply 86
Question:

Also likely due to Advanced Highers, which are needed to apply to most English unis, not being compulsory in Scotland. Most people just sit Highers which pretty much restricts them to applying to unis in Scotland. But it's probably mainly due to the fees. Personally, unless you're applying to Oxbridge, or a uni really good for the subject (like engineering at Imperial), or only a few unis do the subject you want, then to me it's just a waste of money if you can get just as good an eduction for free.
Reply 87
Computer Science at:
Imperial
Bristol
Warwick
Southampton
Birmingham
Question:

I don't think it's necessarily related to tuition fees in England, although that is no doubt a large factor for many.

I think it's more to do with advanced highers being necessary for applying to English universities, and the general crazy high offers that they'll the give to advanced highers applicants (many want AAA as they equate advanced highers to A-levels).

This would mean a very difficult and stressful sixth year as opposed to a more relaxed one that those who are applying to Scottish universities and thus will be getting offers based on highers will have. Many will also want to go to university after fifth year, too.

And regarding advanced highers, many schools do not offer very good provisioning for them as they are not mandatory. In my school if you wanted to do any advanced higher other than maths or physics you had to basically teach yourself as the school just didn't have the resources.
Reply 89
Business studies/Management probably at:
Strathclyde
Heriot Watt
Glasgow
Aberdeen
and Edinburgh Napier as a back up (last) option

if any other business/management future student here, please feel free to pm me :wink:
i am a reapplicant but applying for medicine at:
aberdeen
edinburgh
dundee
glasgow

and medicinal and biological chemistry at edinburgh :smile:

(my grades are AAAAAB at higher and ABB at adv if anyone wants to know!)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 91
Hi,

I'm applying at:
University of Abertay Dundee - Forensic Sciences

Edinburgh Napier University - Forensic Biology

Glasgow Caledonian University - Forensic Investigation

University of Greenwich - Forensic Science

Robert Gordon University - Forensic and Analytical Science (first Choice :biggrin:)
I've been a bit.. optimistic, and now my forms sent away I'm panicking. I applied to Edinburgh, Trinity college, Durham, Saint Andrews and Glasgow( I think) to do French. Just realised that I might not get into any of those courses :L
Reply 93
Original post by KhalilaAmatullah
Whoop I'm doing psychology aswell :smile:)

You may get an unconditional for Dundee aswell, their minimum entry requirements are ABBB.

Well I already applied last year and deffered it, I was predicted ABBB at higher and applied to:
Edinburgh - (I withdrew)
St Andrews - rejected
Dundee - conditonal
Calidonian - (I withdrew)
Strathclyde - (I withdrew)

I for AAABC in the end :smile:

If you're wondering why I withdrew so many it is because I wanted to move away from home (I live in Glasgow), so my main choices were really Dundee and St Andrews, and since I got a big fat NO from them since my predicted grades were too low... Dundee was my next choice and I got a yes from them :smile:

I'm so excited but so nervous to move away :frown:

This is interesting! I'm hoping for an unconditional for Stirling, they're asking for BBBB :smile: I'm currently doing a couple more highers and an advanced, so I may get conditionals for my other choices - though if I'm honest I would be happy with Stirling! I'm kind of expecting to be rejected from some, but as long as I get something!
Original post by cncll
If it's about me...

Geology & Petroleum Geology - Aberdeen Uni
Geography and Geoscience - Aberdeen Uni
Environmental Geoscience - Edi
Earth Science - Glasgow
Environmental Geoscience - St. Andrews

I don't really believe I'll get an offer from St. Andrews, but I now I will regret if I don't apply... (;

There seems to be so few people applying for Environmental Geoscience! It's definitely the course for me, and I'm going for Edinburgh, Durham, Bristol, Royal Holloway and Birmingham...
Reply 95
Original post by daviddd!1994
I got AAAAA in my fifth year and am torn between Geography and History :s-smilie:.

History :biggrin:
Question:

Yes for me... I would rather study at college or go into employment than pay that sort of money for an education!

If I had the choice between a Scottish uni and Oxford/Cambridge, I would still take the Scottish uni, even if it had a low reputation. A degree is a degree at the end of the day, yes I would pay a couple of thousand to study at Oxford/Cambridge but 9,000 a year is just mental!
Reply 97
Original post by peterfoster
There seems to be so few people applying for Environmental Geoscience! It's definitely the course for me, and I'm going for Edinburgh, Durham, Bristol, Royal Holloway and Birmingham...

Fewer people applying - better for us :biggrin:
Reply 98
Anyone wanting to go to Herriot Watt? Think it's gonna be my first choice if i get an offer.
Reply 99
Original post by Inlineadam
Anyone wanting to go to Herriot Watt? Think it's gonna be my first choice if i get an offer.

Not sure whether it'll be my first choice but I'm applying there aswell. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest