The Student Room Group

potential 2012 optometry applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jodieeee....
Well done! I'm waiting on cardiff and Plymouth also.

Do you mean you're offer is AA in science or maths. And it was AAB.
Coz my offer is AAB

Thankyou! :smile: I already have an A in english lit but I'm taking bio and chem modules so I have to get an A overall for both of them -.- was hoping for them to be a little lenient aswell as Aston (Birmingham being my home town) would be my firm so having an insurance with the same grade requirements isn't too worthwhile :/
I might call them to double check :smile:
Where would you like to go..?
Original post by I<3Gul
Thankyou! :smile: I already have an A in english lit but I'm taking bio and chem modules so I have to get an A overall for both of them -.- was hoping for them to be a little lenient aswell as Aston (Birmingham being my home town) would be my firm so having an insurance with the same grade requirements isn't too worthwhile :/
I might call them to double check :smile:
Where would you like to go..?

Oh I see! Yeah I think its cuz the standard offer is AAB the two A's in science or maths, but coz you have an A in your non science/maths you still need the 2 A's I'm exactly like you. Well I don't have an a2 level but I mean my doss subject I'm predicted an A so my offer is effectively AAA same as aston. Which is why I can't decide my insurance.
I really really really want to go to cardiff. Always have. But I haven't heard anything yet :frown: :frown:
Plymouth is my hometown so that's a possible insurance but again, I havent heard from them :frown: good things come to those that wait? Haha
Reply 362

Yayy!! Aab?

Yea well AB as i already have A in maths :smile: well done!
TSR username: Screamingduck
Date application sent: 23rd September
Predicted/acheived grades (state if predicted or achieved alongside grades):
GCSES: 7A* 2A 1B
AS Levels AAAA (biology, chemistry, maths, french)
Predicted A2: A*A*A*A*

Only applied to Cardiff for optom. Applied to 4 medicine degrees (dont hate me :smile:) and optometry is my back-up. Personal statement didnt have anything really optom related so it was a complete longshot. No interview yet, only an acknowledgement.
(edited 12 years ago)
Sorry I've been gone; busy. Nice to see everyone's offers.

Just got an email to check track - wondered if it would be GC, but nope. It was Manchester rejecting me. Knew it would happen; my grades aren't good enough anyway.
Original post by TheWorldEndsWithMe

Just got an email to check track - wondered if it would be GC, but nope. It was Manchester rejecting me. Knew it would happen; my grades aren't good enough anyway.

I know what you mean I wish gc would get back in contact, getting really impatient:frown:. Sorry about Manchester :smile:
Original post by hannahmac4
I know what you mean I wish gc would get back in contact, getting really impatient:frown:. Sorry about Manchester :smile:

Maybe they're like Ulster and don't look at the applicioms until after Jan 15th?
Also, do you know if GC interview? I can't find a definitive answer anywhere. ._.

Anyway. A bit gutted at getting rejected but I'm obviously not a high enough caliber to get in. (Though I didn't really like the place when I visited, lol).

Sorry to hear about Manchester :frown: if you don't mind me asking what are you predicted etc? Where else have you applied? Sorry if this is all on the stalking page.
Original post by screamingduck
TSR username: Screamingduck
Date application sent: 23rd September
Predicted/acheived grades (state if predicted or achieved alongside grades):
GCSES: 7A* 2A 1B
AS Levels AAAA (biology, chemistry, maths, french)
Predicted A2: A*A*A*A*

Only applied to Cardiff for optom. Applied to 4 medicine degrees (dont hate me :smile:) and optometry is my back-up. Personal statement didnt have anything really optom related so it was a complete longshot. No interview yet, only an acknowledgement.

Don't think you need to worry about a back up with grades like that :tongue: :tongue: good luck
Sorry to hear about Manchester :frown: if you don't mind me asking what are you predicted etc? Where else have you applied? Sorry if this is all on the stalking page.

I don't know what I'm predicted. The school won't tell us on case we start 'begging' for being predicted higher (although occasionally a teacher will tell you if they like you enough). I think it's ABB (maths at an A -although I'm working towards an A*. Doing loads of extra work etc- and biology and economics as Bs). So not what Manchester wanted anyway, but I know I would've done REALLY well at an interview. :/

But tbh with my work ethic for biology I reckon I'm going to end up doing Orthoptics or end up in clearing desperately trying to grab a place somewhere.
Maybe they're like Ulster and don't look at the applicioms until after Jan 15th?
Also, do you know if GC interview? I can't find a definitive answer anywhere. ._.

Anyway. A bit gutted at getting rejected but I'm obviously not a high enough caliber to get in. (Though I didn't really like the place when I visited, lol).

Probably (15th) :frown:
No GC don't interview, spoke to admissions at open day and they said that they don't interview, I think, if anything, they sometimes invite successful applicants to an info. evening :s-smilie: not sure for definite tho.

Hopefully we ll hear something positive back soon, good luck x
Original post by hannahmac4
Probably (15th) :frown:
No GC don't interview, spoke to admissions at open day and they said that they don't interview, I think, if anything, they sometimes invite successful applicants to an info. evening :s-smilie: not sure for definite tho.

Hopefully we ll hear something positive back soon, good luck x

Yeah, hopefully hear more soon! Ulster haven't even sent an acknowledgment.
Reply 372
Original post by britchick
I e-mailed City now more than 2 weeks ago about this problem, and all they've replied with today is

"Dear Catherine

I will ask for your records to be updated.

Kind Regards."

Lol. What on earth is that meant to mean? My entry requirements will change? My application is going to be reconsidered all over again?

Can't be as worse as mine! I phoned them the same time I got the offer (around 6 weeks ago) and they told me to send my certificate so I did :smile: two weeks later though they send me an email saying they will change it to AAB (so far so good) BUT they ended up changing it to AAA! LOL so I phoned them again and they apologised saying it was a mistake and they will change it again :confused:
It's been two weeks since they sent that and no reply yet :frown: kind of fed up to be honest! :angry:
Reply 373
Anyone go to the aston open day on Wednesday? How was it?
Reply 374
Heyy all :smile:

I'm taking a gap year this year to reapply for uni and resit a few exams and stuff :smile:
At AS I got AABC (sociology, maths, bio, chem) then at A Level I got ABC in the latter 3. I've been predicted AAA though so hoping for the best after January exams :smile:
I've applied for Aston, Plymouth, City, Cardiff and ARU (in order of preference). Only sent off my application 2 days ago so haven't heard anything yet (although have impatiently checked my inbox at least 100 times :P)
Just wondering if anyone else is taking a gap year ? Also how long on average after sending your applications did you hear anything?

Cheers
Ang
Reply 375
Original post by n_123

Hey I didn't go on Wednesday but I went a couple months ago. Definitely my favourite uni out of the ones I've seen, such a nice campus and everyone there were so lovely. The thing I went to was just an informal campus tour so we didn't get to see the optom department but I spoke to one of the lecturers and it sounds like a place where they're more than happy to help you if you're struggling with the course :smile:
Gutted I didn't get to see the optom dept but they have this virtual tour if you haven't seen it yet :smile: http://www1.aston.ac.uk/lhs/virtual-tours/optometry/
Original post by n_123

I went.
Cardiff was my all time favourite but now I'm considering aston as my firm! And I've wanted to go to cardiff since I was little!
**** you cardiff. At least have the decency to reply to my email after you reject me :angry:
Original post by anglloydo
Heyy all :smile:

I'm taking a gap year this year to reapply for uni and resit a few exams and stuff :smile:

Cheers
Ang

hey!
I'm a reapplicant and for me it's taken just as long as first time applicants to get my offers :smile: iv had three offers, anglia, Bradford and Aston but I REALLLLLY want Aston <3
Original post by I<3Gul
hey!
I'm a reapplicant and for me it's taken just as long as first time applicants to get my offers :smile: iv had three offers, anglia, Bradford and Aston but I REALLLLLY want Aston <3

Hmm negged cos I'm a reapplicant? go for it if it makes you feel better (A)

Quick Reply

Latest