The Student Room Group
University of Buckingham
University of Buckingham
Buckingham
Visit website

University Of Buckingham

Scroll to see replies

Original post by paul.walker9090
I hope the campus and accommodation rooms are decent. I was reading on other posts that its really good with academics but sucks with the social scene. Apparantly, most students are international and it aint good for us guys cuz not many good looking girls attend!!

I know right haha plus I been to the village, it's tiny, one of the smallest places I have ever been. When you applied, what did you send off exactly?
University of Buckingham
University of Buckingham
Buckingham
Visit website
Original post by Silver Aurora
I know right haha plus I been to the village, it's tiny, one of the smallest places I have ever been. When you applied, what did you send off exactly?

I sent my application to them on the 13th of December. I emailed the admissions department two days ago, asking them for an update on the status of my application, she said its still in progress. I'm kinda shocked, they require 3Bs and I am predicted A*A*AAA!!
I sent my application to them on the 13th of December. I emailed the admissions department two days ago, asking them for an update on the status of my application, she said its still in progress. I'm kinda shocked, they require 3Bs and I am predicted A*A*AAA!!

It is a bit shocking but I guess they're small and have to try and attract as many as they can...
It is a bit shocking but I guess they're small and have to try and attract as many as they can...

I think I might go and visit the campus and have a look around the place, don't wana waste 2 years!!!
Reply 24
I think I might go and visit the campus and have a look around the place, don't wana waste 2 years!!!

yeh i went to visit it, before term time started. im going to visit it again to see what its like when students are around. tbh social life is dead, but im hoping to be driving because milton keynes is only 15 minutes away.

im studying economics and french, already have my offer and is probably 99% going there. i think they take longer to reply to non ucas applications, but then again Law is very competitive and i know someone who still has not got their reply for that course there.

I just wanna be in and out of uni, 2 years, do a masters and start living life. But hey i guess everyones different
Reply 25
I am only interested because of the short 2 year length of the Law course. I heard there are a lot of international students who don't speak english, is that true? Also, i was reading on other posts that the girls are really ugly and don't relax, party etc!!

I want to know about this aswell, don't want to waste two years.
Also, anyone with any idea if the two years actually benefit greatly?

Yeah, there's a few non-English speakers but then they hang amongst themselves so you're unlikely to encounter them. The university does appeal to the highest bidder.

As for the two years, you'll find it's exceptionally cost effective. Also, living costs will always be greater than you can plan for. The dead social scene means you'll save tonnes of cash on going out, because you won't.

My honest recommendation is that if you can afford the conventional three-year route, with the new fees obviously (but this place will also increase them, because they can) go for that. The two-year degree means no summer holidays and spending it in this dead-end town, whilst watching your friends having a great time. The social aspect is just as important; motivation, contacts for the future etc.

Original post by BrownBarbie

I just wanna be in and out of uni, 2 years, do a masters and start living life. But hey i guess everyones different

If you want to get the degree done in two years and then move on in life, then this is the place for you.
(edited 12 years ago)

It's tiny, hardly any decent shops and the Uni is in two parts of the town. Socially it looks dead
Reply 27
I have applied to Buckingham. My school seemed to turn a bit sour when I asked them about Buckingham. Reluctantly, when asked what's wrong with Buckingham they said 'why would you go there when you have gotten better offers'. My thoughts are this: With the rise in tuition costs for those entering this year, consumers are going to expect more and I don't think most uni's are going to give any more than prior years despite the cost. Buckingham, to my way of thinking, affords more. The low student/teacher ratio alone makes it worthwhile. One year less of tuition makes a big difference to me. But still, the reaction from my school was discouraging. I found out later that the new deputy head went to Buckingham!! go figure. Anyone else encounter a bias against Buckingham? If so, please comment. thanks
Original post by frank1
I have applied to Buckingham. My school seemed to turn a bit sour when I asked them about Buckingham. Reluctantly, when asked what's wrong with Buckingham they said 'why would you go there when you have gotten better offers'. My thoughts are this: With the rise in tuition costs for those entering this year, consumers are going to expect more and I don't think most uni's are going to give any more than prior years despite the cost. Buckingham, to my way of thinking, affords more. The low student/teacher ratio alone makes it worthwhile. One year less of tuition makes a big difference to me. But still, the reaction from my school was discouraging. I found out later that the new deputy head went to Buckingham!! go figure. Anyone else encounter a bias against Buckingham? If so, please comment. thanks

They might of thought you said Buckingham University rather then the University of Buckham. One is good and the other is bad.
Hey there guys,

I went there for an interview a few weeks ago. I think the night life is pretty dead up there, but the university is excellent for study purposes. There's literally nothing to do there, so you have to study really - you have no other option.
Reply 30
Hi Guys
I'm thinking of applying to buckingham for Business Management this year and I was just wondering if you can give me some insight into how the workload is weekly? as i will be playing rugby semi-professionally as well and will like to know if you think I would be able to keep up with the work whilst training?

thanks!
aha i know, it's very small. MK is nearby but I just don't like the vibe of it, been there hundreds of times, can't imagine a good nightlife there tbh.
I guess so but theres only like a 1000 people at the uni, so small :\
Law, you?

The nightlife in MK is pretty much the best you'll get in the area - that or Watford if you're willing to travel. Just avoid Wycombe.
Reply 32
Hello, I just got an offer from Buckingham and I'm thinking of making it my safety.
Is it as dead as people make it out to be? I'd rather not be stuck for a couple of years with complete hermits. I don't want to be studying 24/7, I'd quite like to make some friends too!
Reply 33
Original post by maitai
Hello, I just got an offer from Buckingham and I'm thinking of making it my safety.
Is it as dead as people make it out to be? I'd rather not be stuck for a couple of years with complete hermits. I don't want to be studying 24/7, I'd quite like to make some friends too!

Hi Maitai I'm currently applying at the moment and I'm wondering what you are expected to add to the
Other Information
Please enter any other information you wish to include to support your application (500 characters max)
section on the application?

Thanks alot
Reply 34
Original post by ReggieS
Hi Maitai I'm currently applying at the moment and I'm wondering what you are expected to add to the
Other Information
Please enter any other information you wish to include to support your application (500 characters max)
section on the application?

Thanks alot

I wish I could help, but unfortunately I applied to Buckingham through UCAS so I didn't have to do those.
What I would add to that though is just previous experiences etc. that could possibly show your history as well as interest in the subject you want to study!
Original post by kiss_me_now9
The nightlife in MK is pretty much the best you'll get in the area - that or Watford if you're willing to travel. Just avoid Wycombe.

Watford? That's ages away hahaha :\ If you go Watford might aswell just head into London :\
Watford? That's ages away hahaha :\ If you go Watford might aswell just head into London :\

Hence the 'willing to travel' part. Yeah, head into London if you want to pay London prices :/
Reply 37
How is the workload? im looking to do a Business and Management degree but i was wondering if i would have time to do extracurricular activities i.e. rugby and training on a weekly basis?

thanks
I got my offer now! Not sure if I want to accept though.
Reply 39
I got my offer now! Not sure if I want to accept though.

Yeah, I know exactly how you feel. I'm having serious second thoughts of even putting it as my safety :/

Quick Reply

Latest