The Student Room Group

Physics A2 2 - 25th May 2012

Anyone else sitting this exam?

I'm dreading the last question, because it could be about anything :frown: but everything else is generally okay

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by ms607
Anyone else sitting this exam?

I'm dreading the last question, because it could be about anything :frown: but everything else is generally okay

Yup I'm doing it. Not looking forward to it though :frown:
Reply 2
ugh, so worried about this exam... just gonna have to practice indefinitely until the day of the exam :frown: but I also have chemistry A2 2

nightmare aaaaaaaaaaa
Reply 3
Original post by ms607
ugh, so worried about this exam... just gonna have to practice indefinitely until the day of the exam :frown: but I also have chemistry A2 2

nightmare aaaaaaaaaaa

Same!! For the first time I actually feel more confident about the chemistry exam than I do for the physics one :s-smilie:

I've been doing a load of old spec papers to get a feel for the type/style of question that could come up.

Really dreading the particle accelerator and capacitor questions and fingers crossed nice magnetic field one comes up!!
Reply 4
Original post by Who_Is_It?
Same!! For the first time I actually feel more confident about the chemistry exam than I do for the physics one :s-smilie:

I've been doing a load of old spec papers to get a feel for the type/style of question that could come up.

Really dreading the particle accelerator and capacitor questions and fingers crossed nice magnetic field one comes up!!

the bad thing about the particle accelerator is the amount of information you need to remember for each of them :frown: but I guess that can be a good thing if you have a photographic memory..!

I'm scared of something like a complicated electric field question coming up.. or as you say, a difficult capacitor question

Also... since they seemed to really like CRO's in the practical, I have a feeling they may ask about them in the exam, perhaps describing the structure of them (electron gun and deflecting plates) :frown:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by ms607
the bad thing about the particle accelerator is the amount of information you need to remember for each of them :frown: but I guess that can be a good thing if you have a photographic memory..!

I'm scared of something like a complicated electric field question coming up.. or as you say, a difficult capacitor question

Also... since they seemed to really like CRO's in the practical, I have a feeling they may ask about them in the exam, perhaps describing the structure of them (electron gun and deflecting plates) :frown:

Yea, most electric/gravitational field questions that have been on the new spec have been OK, nothing too difficult. Have a feeling they might throw a curve-ball for this one :s-smilie:

I'm not sure if they would put CRO in again cause CCEA know that anyone doing the practical would obviously doing module 5 cause we can only do it in June. Maybe they'll cut us some slack and keep it off :tongue:
Reply 6
Yea, most electric/gravitational field questions that have been on the new spec have been OK, nothing too difficult. Have a feeling they might throw a curve-ball for this one :s-smilie:

I'm not sure if they would put CRO in again cause CCEA know that anyone doing the practical would obviously doing module 5 cause we can only do it in June. Maybe they'll cut us some slack and keep it off :tongue:

heh, you sure you know CCEA? :P

I'm expecting a question describing faraday's law, or lenz's law (or both!) which should be straight forward

as for the final q at the end, in 2010 it was some random mechanics one, 2011 lenses, so god knows what it could be this year, maybe some sort of electricity one? :frown:

No idea what this exam is like time-wise too, hopefully we won't have to rush!
Reply 7
Original post by ms607
heh, you sure you know CCEA? :P

I'm expecting a question describing faraday's law, or lenz's law (or both!) which should be straight forward

as for the final q at the end, in 2010 it was some random mechanics one, 2011 lenses, so god knows what it could be this year, maybe some sort of electricity one? :frown:

No idea what this exam is like time-wise too, hopefully we won't have to rush!

Haha that true, probably a stupid thing to say about CCEA :rolleyes:

Hmmm lens's law hasn't been on the new spec yet so that has a high chance of coming up. Also, proving the law of gravitation is consistent with Kepler's law hasn't been on the new spec either so that's another probable question... :s-smilie: I dont think conservation of charge, lepton or baryon number has been on it yet... talking about field lines, wordy questions on geostationary satellites are other possibilities...

Hate synoptic (at least its not one of those massive comprehension question that were on the old spec!!) I hope its not an electricity one, I'm hopeless at it :frown: Another mechanics one or even something like waves would be nice :tongue:

Or the quantum physics stuff!! Forgot about that!!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
I am also taking this nightmare of an exam. Does anyone know any good places for practice questions?

I'm finding it difficult to find questions for all the topics since the old spec papers are quite jumbled up.
Reply 9
I'm taking this exam as well, unfortunately. Am definitely not looking forward to it!

Particle accelerators, fundamental particles and gravitational fields should all be okay, hopefully, and capacitors will probably be okay as long as they don't throw us a curveball question (I'm not putting my faith in this after the CRO question on the practical <_<), but the electric field and magnetic field questions may as well be dutch x__x. Actually, I do german as well, so I'd probably have a BETTER chance of understanding them if they were!

And the synoptic questions are just evil D= They wouldn't be so bad if they didn't require so much detail, but...

@Puttycat1 - I've just been going through the papers on the CCEA website as well, sorry I can't be more help.
Original post by Lucevar
I'm taking this exam as well, unfortunately. Am definitely not looking forward to it!

Particle accelerators, fundamental particles and gravitational fields should all be okay, hopefully, and capacitors will probably be okay as long as they don't throw us a curveball question (I'm not putting my faith in this after the CRO question on the practical <_<), but the electric field and magnetic field questions may as well be dutch x__x. Actually, I do german as well, so I'd probably have a BETTER chance of understanding them if they were!

And the synoptic questions are just evil D= They wouldn't be so bad if they didn't require so much detail, but...

@Puttycat1 - I've just been going through the papers on the CCEA website as well, sorry I can't be more help.

I agree, but I can't for the life of me remember all the info in the particle accelerator chapter :s-smilie: I dreading that they might make a mash-up magnetic and electric field question!!

The more mathsy questions on this paper the better!!! The theory absolutely kills :frown:

It's good to see more people on here doing CCEA physics though :biggrin: We're definitely a minority here on TSR.
Reply 11
not looking forward to this, not even a wee bit
Reply 12
I agree, but I can't for the life of me remember all the info in the particle accelerator chapter :s-smilie: I dreading that they might make a mash-up magnetic and electric field question!!

The more mathsy questions on this paper the better!!! The theory absolutely kills :frown:

It's good to see more people on here doing CCEA physics though :biggrin: We're definitely a minority here on TSR.

Oh geeze, I hope not! That sounds like my worst nightmare (or at least it does until we start talking about synoptic elements xD)

It should be quite maths-y I think - the january paper was very very theory based, so they've probably got a lot of calculations on this paper. Which I guess is good. At least with maths questions you have a decent chance of working it out, as opposed to the theory ones where they take marks off for not putting details in that they didn't even hint they wanted :s-smilie: I got marked down for putting "resonance occurs when a body oscillates at its natural frequency" instead of "resonance occurs when a body is forced to oscillate at its natural frequency" in January DD=

We are, and we're going to become even more of a minority soon xD CCEA isn't going to be letting people in england take their exams any more for some reason.
Reply 13
Original post by Lucevar
Oh geeze, I hope not! That sounds like my worst nightmare (or at least it does until we start talking about synoptic elements xD)

It should be quite maths-y I think - the january paper was very very theory based, so they've probably got a lot of calculations on this paper. Which I guess is good. At least with maths questions you have a decent chance of working it out, as opposed to the theory ones where they take marks off for not putting details in that they didn't even hint they wanted :s-smilie: I got marked down for putting "resonance occurs when a body oscillates at its natural frequency" instead of "resonance occurs when a body is forced to oscillate at its natural frequency" in January DD=

We are, and we're going to become even more of a minority soon xD CCEA isn't going to be letting people in england take their exams any more for some reason.

To be fair, they were right to mark you down for that resonance one. All systems oscillate at their natural frequency without a driving force. Its only resonance if the driving force matches the natural frequency
I'm in for this too, I have Economics A2 2 as well on Friday morning - absolute nightmare.

I think I'll be ready for the Physics paper, as long as the questions are as expected and nothing too crazy. Thankfully I don't need that high a mark, if only I could say the same for Economics...
Had a revision class today, if anyone's interested my teacher advised us to particularly know the following in detail:

Keplar's Law (inclusing proof)
Comparing E and G fields
Parallel E fields
Connecting a charged and uncharged capacitor
Lenz's Law - experiment, theory, sums etc
Transformers - National Grid
Linear accelerator and Cyclotron (Synchroton used twice in a row)
Hadrons

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 16
Original post by North Irelandman
Had a revision class today, if anyone's interested my teacher advised us to particularly know the following in detail:

Comparing E and G fields
Parallel E fields
Hadrons

Hey, thanks for the heads up. I think there will definitely be something on Lenz's Law.

As for the national grid, is that power loss calculations etc.?
Original post by ms607
Hey, thanks for the heads up. I think there will definitely be something on Lenz's Law.

As for the national grid, is that power loss calculations etc.?

Yep, Power loss = I^2R, reasoning for step-up, step-down and so on, probably would have an efficiency calculation and maybe ask about wasted energy in the transformer if it came up.
Original post by North Irelandman

Comparing E and G fields
Parallel E fields
Hadrons

Thank you!! I think the Kepler gravitation proof will definitely come up. I also think they're gonna try and give us a weird equation for the fundamental particle question and ask weird things on it :tongue:

Hoping that linear accelerator comes up!!
Lenz's law is definiteltly gonna be on cause it hasn't been on the new spec yet.
Good luck guys!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending