The Student Room Group

What's your schools GCSE 5A*-C percentage (including English and Maths)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
who's negging all the people with low % at their schools? Like it's THEIR fault?
Reply 81
Original post by TheHaylio
who's negging all the people with low % at their schools? Like it's THEIR fault?

Rich kids who are blissfully (and luckily) unaware of the low standard of education a large amount of people received.

42% inc M+E at mine. Stupid island.
For a lot of state schools (like mine for example with only 61%) don't necessarily have a low standard of eduction (albeit lower than most private schools), they just have lots of deprived kids who don't care about learning. I went to a state school and came out with 12 A*-B grades including As in Maths and English, so it's not all bad. The education is good if you actually want to learn - we got an 'outstanding' Ofsted report.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 83
68% (Inc E + M), but 90% of entries got A*-C... weird.
The year that I left (2006) my school had 26% of pupils achieving 5 or more GCSEs A*-C including English and Maths. But the statistic that they bragged about was the overall rate of 62% of pupils achieving 5 or more GCSEs A*-C (which isn't much to be proud of anyway). The point they failed to emphasize was that this statistic didn't include English and Maths so the pupils could have got 5 C's in subjects which won't get them jobs since they lack English/Maths.

Also, both of those statistics are for 'GCSEs or equivalent' - when I look at the tables for simply 'GCSEs' the percentages are even lower. It's pretty awful really.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 85
In my school excel spreadsheet it says 53% but on BBC school league tables its 46%... who's got it wrong?
Reply 86
Original post by Blazara
Rich kids who are blissfully (and luckily) unaware of the low standard of education a large amount of people received.

42% inc M+E at mine. Stupid island.

Isle of Wight? Literally the same story over here!
Reply 87
8%

We're closing down this year.

MINOR VAGINA.

Moving to a new school
Reply 88
48%. Funny how my school omits this information on their website.
Reply 89
82% ...

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 90
Percentage of students who got 5A*-C

2008: 42%
2009: 40%
2010: 58%
2011: 60%

At least my secondary school has improved since I left:biggrin:
Reply 91
53% including English & Maths
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 92
24% the year I left and they celebrated that as it was their best yet lol. It's improved to around 34% now but still i'm amazed at any school with 75%+ gaining A*-C including english and maths.
Reply 93
Original post by Boo_x
24% the year I left and they celebrated that as it was their best yet lol. It's improved to around 34% now but still i'm amazed at any school with 75%+ gaining A*-C including english and maths.

State comprehensives that get over 75% are those in very rich areas with tiny catchment areas. Supplementary tutoring is common, and schools encourage students to pick subjects that are easy to obtain higher grades in.
Reply 94
I thought it was 70ish but just checked and its 92% for last year :smile:
Reply 95
Original post by TheHaylio
Isle of Wight? Literally the same story over here!

That's the one. Medina High..
Waltham's Forest's is really low my school like 50% with 2 years ago being 35% (round about) :/
Reply 97
71% I think
Reply 98
Original post by und
State comprehensives that get over 75% are those in very rich areas with tiny catchment areas. Supplementary tutoring is common, and schools encourage students to pick subjects that are easy to obtain higher grades in.

Out of interest, which subjects do you mean?
Reply 99
Original post by ttoby
Out of interest, which subjects do you mean?

ICT 'equivalent' qualifications that count as four GCSEs.

Quick Reply

Latest