The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

if he was coming down south again i'd go just to watch it all again and see how it was does, lol
Reply 21
he used to work in a club in Bristol called Byzantium before he got his show in 2000 (ish) my mates dad used to do a band set there and saw him a few times, apparently he made his (mates dad) watch hands go backwards and also got a tissue of his to levitate 6 inches off the table, he was extremely impressed and freaked out by him.

I can imagine him being a very intense person, the things he learns he must get obssessive about (which makes him so good at them) I heard a story that as a kid he was obssessed with doing a trick where someone says a number and he picked that exact amount of cards off a deck. He wouldn't stop until he mastered it, I suppose such traits really help in his profession
When someone in the audience was asked to pick a country, they first said Azerbaijan (sp?) but Derren asked him to pick another one, which was Germany. Then, at the end when the banner was revealed and Germany came up, Derren said he didn't want Azerbaijan as he couldn't spell it!!
Reply 23
My friend went to see him and at one point he threw some frisbees out to people. Then they had to throw them to whoever they chose. My friend had one thrown to him by a member of the crowd. He was supposed to keep it then and go up on stage. Being the slowed down fool he is, he lobs it again to some randomer.

The point is, brown did the phone thing and it all worked as per. But could it have worked if my friend had gone up instead and had phoned (obviously) completely different people and probably have received completely different numbers. It couldn`t of.

Theres no way brown knew my friend would misunderstand the game and throw it again. That people.... bakes my noodle, and I luuuurve psychology/jedi mind tricks.
The key is obviously in the tenner..at my show he pulled the tenner out of his pocket - question is was it forged or what?

did he give the tenenr back to the audience member? i am pretty sure he took it back because he did infact get it right (he gave the tenner on the basis he got it wrong)
Clubber Lang
DAMN, that is a schoolboy error on my aprt because I know of that trick :rolleyes:

My thoughts on how he got specific details - before the show people were asked to sign up to membership for something or other in the foyer..they just didnt put 2 and 2 together to realsie thats where their details came from - its possible.. i wasn't i nthe foyer to see if there was any marketing people around or anything tho.

At my show we never filled out any details before the show or see anyone else who was.
sequence123
At my show we never filled out any details before the show or see anyone else who was.

Someone else said in this post they had to give name and birth detaisl on the cards - so they got it that way - he didnt say that to the whoel audience (i.e people liek me who didnt put a card in didnt know thats how he prob got names/ages)
Reply 27
This thread is a year old but he is touring again currently with the same tour.. so here goes...

I just wanted to mention.. some people observed a DB assistant type person go up on stage and check/mix the cards. I also spotted this. He was a well built guy in a suit, at least thats how he appeared from where I was sat. I wasn't sure at the time if he was an assistant but towards the end of the break he seemed to be ushering people up onto the stage so he must have been part of the show. I think he walked off to the left of the stage after he checked the bowl. Could be wrong however. As pointed out, the controlled nature of the bowl.. only allowing folk on from the right and one at a time, there is certainly room for manipualtion there. Had they got a volunteer to watch the bowl for example.. that would have ruled this out.

I think the best part of the show for me was when DB forces the selection of a certain card, when when he asks the person to say stop on a certain card. Even when she said stop 1 card too early he still got the card he wanted in play. Amazing.

Well recommend the show. It's good to know that he used genuine trickery.. makes you all the more sure he didn't use stooges.
Reply 28
This guy picked me out when he was blind folded and I didn't even put an envelope in. He knew my age, that it was my birthday on the day (23rd), my name, and some of my hobbies!

There is no chance that this guy could of guess that I did ballroom dancing especially blindfolded. And omg at the end of the show on the roll of paper he kept in the chest of what he thought was going to happen in the show, ballroom dancer was on the slip. That was me

This guy is genuine, he doesn't even need anything written on paper, hes never even met me, nor did my friends who took me to see him.
lol, it is possible they do research on peopel before they come either i nthe bar/waiting area or maybe even deeper personal checks made on ticketholders!
I saw the show in Leicester about a week ago, and can only get my head around one or two things after a week.

Firstly, I know how the pendulum thingy worked: it's a subconscious motor effect that basically means if you concentrate really hard on making something move, you actually subconsciously move it. He obviously picked the participants that were most susceptible to this for the next part.

Secondly, I know one piece of basic psychology that he used: by saying it wasn't going to work or it had gone wrong, the audience relaxes and then you can use a fair bit of sleight of hand without them really noticing it. For instance, when he made the table "float" immediately after saying it wouldn't work, he appeared to throw it into the air (probably a key part of that trick).

As for the oracle act, I once read that there's an amazing amount of information that can be picked up from your handwriting, such as age, sex and even profession (e.g. someone who writes a lot tends to have more scrawly writing, because they do it quicker).

bigmouth strikes again!
the card that's really in that envelope is the information for the next person he's going to guess for... so he stays one step ahead each time..
I'm not sure how he manages to get ages/names though, that was a bit weird.

I don't think it was this though, because he didn't even open any of the envelopes he chose at the show I went to.

As for the predictions at the end, I managed to find out what the box was (it's a Malloys Master Prediction Box, if you're interested), but nothing about how it works.

To be honest, I hope it is all one big trick, because otherwise he is a seriously scary man.
orubap
the oracle bit wasn't a 'one ahead routine'. he didn't open any of the cards, the onus was on the participant whose card it was to say whether derren was right or not

also, funny someone mentioned the swami gimick, as thats what he uses to show the person at the end that they were indeed off by three before the scroll is unrolled.

Oooh that could be something interesting, maybe he used some psychology to mess with their heads and make them forget what they actually wrote down!

P.S. What is the swami gimmick, and how does it work?
Steeevoe
This guy picked me out when he was blind folded and I didn't even put an envelope in. He knew my age, that it was my birthday on the day (23rd), my name, and some of my hobbies!

There is no chance that this guy could of guess that I did ballroom dancing especially blindfolded. And omg at the end of the show on the roll of paper he kept in the chest of what he thought was going to happen in the show, ballroom dancer was on the slip. That was me

This guy is genuine, he doesn't even need anything written on paper, hes never even met me, nor did my friends who took me to see him.

Wait a minute, there was a guy at my show whose did ballroom dancing as well! And his birthday was on that day! Oh, actually you're from Leicester, it might have been you.

Oh well...

Latest

Trending

Trending