The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Inflation
Expensive? A mate picked up a Golf mk4 1.6 for £2.8k, but it had 90k on it.
Would you go for a Polo instead?

Golfs are generally expensive for a good one.
DirtyHarry
Golfs are generally expensive for a good one.

Whats the insurance like on a 1.4 Mk5 golf?
The only way you'll get some real answers is going to an insurance company website.
Reply 283
going to look at a saxo with my rents tomorrow, 1.1i, 1999 V plate, only 67k on the clock, 1395 ono, long tax and MOT, looks in pretty good nick from the pictures! Im really excited :smile:!
DirtyHarry
2002 Ford Focus 1.6 Zetec going for £2000 at my friend's work. It's so cheap because it was a trade-in.

80,000 miles on the clock and I can't see myself getting a car anywhere near as good for that price. I haven't started getting lessons yet but should I go for that while it's still around?

How do I convince my dad there's nothing wrong with going for a deal like this well before I've passed my test?

Do deals like this really come around often?

He was talking of a Peugot estate for crying out loud. :s-smilie:
Reply 285
Kelly^2
going to look at a saxo with my rents tomorrow, 1.1i, 1999 V plate, only 67k on the clock, 1395 ono, long tax and MOT, looks in pretty good nick from the pictures! Im really excited :smile:!

went to look but my mum drove it and said "the brakes are dodgy" :frown:
It was lush as well.
Kelly^2
went to look but my mum drove it and said "the brakes are dodgy" :frown:
It was lush as well.

Did they feel spongy or did they pull to one side? What was the problem with them?
Kelly^2

That ain't much of a car for that money, a car that'll last like 13,000 miles.
Reply 288
Yellow Truck
Did they feel spongy or did they pull to one side? What was the problem with them?

"Grating" was the term she used. You could hear them as well, probably just worn through brake pads?
Syntax Terrier
That ain't much of a car for that money, a car that'll last like 13,000 miles.

Rubbish. It'll do 120k at least. I've seen plenty of saxos and puegeots with anything from 90-130k on them and doing just fine.
Kelly^2
"Grating" was the term she used. You could hear them as well, probably just worn through brake pads?

Did the car seem thrashed about at all?
Was there any service history etc and signs it had been cared for?

The pads and disks wear out so it's not a major issue.
Reply 291
Yellow Truck
Did the car seem thrashed about at all?
Was there any service history etc and signs it had been cared for?

The pads and disks wear out so it's not a major issue.

No it looked in really good nick, her brother in law is a mechanic and used to service it for her and before that a mechanic had it.
How much would it cost to have the pads/disks replaced?
Kelly^2
No it looked in really good nick, her brother in law is a mechanic and used to service it for her and before that a mechanic had it.
How much would it cost to have the pads/disks replaced?

Even so, they should have kept the receipts for the work carried out on it. I replaced my radiator, fan and motor and kept the receipts for all of them to add to the service history. It cost me 96 quid in parts so i want as much as i can show for it :p:

May be just the pads which you would have needed but they would be around 20 quid for the set of four (two on each front wheel) and the disks (only needed every other pad change so you may not have even needed them) would be around 20/25 quid for a front pair. Throw in an hours labour and thats the job done.
Reply 293
Hmm, might just have a word with the rents then if its only going to be a hundred quid to get it fixed! Thank you :smile:
Kelly^2
Hmm, might just have a word with the rents then if its only going to be a hundred quid to get it fixed! Thank you :smile:

It may be that simple it may not, I've not driven it:p: Gives you a ball park figure tho.
Reply 295
Going to look at some more tomorrow :smile: !
Kelly^2
Going to look at some more tomorrow :smile: !

Have a look on http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/index.htm . It'll give you an idea of what to look out for on a car by car basis. Check out the buying and selling section on there too as there are some top tips...
Reply 297
I've got a T reg micra, the micra is an excellent first car can have some clutch slip problems. apart from that when you buy one you can graduatee it will last fifeteen years at least. clio is a good first car a grand or two dearer can have some engine problems in years to come.
Reply 298
ford ka are alright but personally i dont like the design. or c2's over priced if you ask me not keen on the design either.
01kij114
ford ka are alright but personally i dont like the design. or c2's over priced if you ask me not keen on the design either.

Ka is a great car to drive and at a 1.3 is a little bit quicker than your standard first car. If your looking at one check it for rust around the petrol cap, rear whiper and door sills as pre 2000s are known to have a weakness in this area.

Latest