The Student Room Group

NHS Couch to 5k - Fitness Phobes Anonymous

Scroll to see replies

Original post by boba
you could just do it on the treadmill? although if you do join a gym that would make it a big waste of money

Well at the gym I can always use the weights too. The problem with the treadmill is that you're stuck inside all day and there's no way in hell that's good for you, especially in quite a small-ish house like mine.

Better to go out and walk to the gym and do a bit of exercise really.
Reply 21
Original post by wanderlust.xx
Well at the gym I can always use the weights too. The problem with the treadmill is that you're stuck inside all day and there's no way in hell that's good for you, especially in quite a small-ish house like mine.

this is all true I just hate exercising in front of other people:redface:

Original post by boba
this is all true I just hate exercising in front of other people:redface:

But exercising in front of other people forces you to work harder so you look better. Everytime I run past someone outside I can feel myself speed up. And I can't even force myself to slow down again :p:
KEEP AT IT! Its so nice to see some other people doing the NHS C25K, I really liked it. The music is a bit naff, but hey its funny to listen to I guess!

Soon you'll be running 30 mins non stop! I did the same as you, booked a race for life, and I did that last week and ran it in about 35 or so minutes which I NEVER would of been able to do! But yes, GOOD LUCK :smile:
I feel like I need to restart this :sigh: 4 weeks off due to injury, right in week 8 - what an absolute kick in the balls!
Reply 25
Original post by Aemiliana
I feel like I need to restart this :sigh: 4 weeks off due to injury, right in week 8 - what an absolute kick in the balls!

Ah man, same thing happened to me after Week 2. I think it's because I didn't do any stretching at all, except the 5 minute warmup and warmdown. I started Week 3 and didn't last 10 seconds due to the pain in my feet. I think I'm going to redo Week 2 because of the long break. I'm so frustrated I'm still on the second week after nearly two months! :frown: But I'm going to keep at it, here I come tomorrow! All I need is good weather now.
Reply 26
Original post by wanderlust.xx

I used to want a gym membership, but they're so expensive...I actually find it more fun to run outside. I get some awesome scenery around my area :smile:

Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx
But exercising in front of other people forces you to work harder so you look better. Everytime I run past someone outside I can feel myself speed up. And I can't even force myself to slow down again :p:

I agree with this :smile: And I find it's more challenging to actually propell yourself forward rather than using a treadmill. I hate stopping to do the walking bits when I pass dogwalkers! :P

Original post by RedGuy
Ah man, same thing happened to me after Week 2. I think it's because I didn't do any stretching at all, except the 5 minute warmup and warmdown. I started Week 3 and didn't last 10 seconds due to the pain in my feet. I think I'm going to redo Week 2 because of the long break. I'm so frustrated I'm still on the second week after nearly two months! :frown: But I'm going to keep at it, here I come tomorrow! All I need is good weather now.

Oooh....I've been feeling pain in my right shin after my run this morning, and I've been doing what you described - no stretching. I think I'm going to start stretching properly. Thanks for this! :biggrin:
Reply 27
Original post by Athena21
Oooh....I've been feeling pain in my right shin after my run this morning, and I've been doing what you described - no stretching. I think I'm going to start stretching properly. Thanks for this! :biggrin:

Make sure you only stretch after your run and not before. All you need is the 5 minute before your run. There are some good stretch videos on YouTube that last 10-20 minutes. :gthumb:
Reply 28
So I completed week 2 today!
Yay me :biggrin:

Did a different route that was in the wind :/ But still did okay(ish).
I'm still a sweaty beetroot! :frown:

Didn't want to get up this morning, as it was monday, I hadn't slept well and I was late for work. Went anyway and now feel great :smile:

I've lost 2lbs and 3.5 inches since the start - Not going to say what these stats were before...:colondollar:

I've done 6 whole runs...and I'm still motivated! :biggrin:

So I completed week 2 today!
Yay me :biggrin:

Did a different route that was in the wind :/ But still did okay(ish).
I'm still a sweaty beetroot! :frown:

I've done 6 whole runs...and I'm still motivated! :biggrin:

I'm starting week 6 today :biggrin: Running for 25min at the end of it :s:

Although I've discovered that running around the lake on campus (plus the time it takes to get to/from the lake) takes me ~25 minutes :smile:

And yeah I always come back from my runs with a tomato for a face :sigh:
Reply 30
Original post by RedGuy
Make sure you only stretch after your run and not before. All you need is the 5 minute walk for the warm up. There are some good stretch videos on YouTube that last 10-20 minutes. :gthumb:

Thank you :smile:
I know this, but I'm sure someone who reads this post might not, although I'll check out the youtube videos for inspiration on any stretches that I don't know :smile:

I always moan at my bf not to stretch before he's warmed up but he ignores me and says "my PE teacher always told us to stretch first" :giggle:
Reply 31
Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx
I'm starting week 6 today :biggrin: Running for 25min at the end of it :s:

Although I've discovered that running around the lake on campus (plus the time it takes to get to/from the lake) takes me ~25 minutes :smile:

And yeah I always come back from my runs with a tomato for a face :sigh:

Wow thats great! :biggrin:
That last 25min run is almost the full 30minutes/5k :s-smilie:

I'm the same, have a local woodland that is only a 5min walk away, and then I run/walk a few laps around that for 25mins, then 5min walk back :biggrin:

Sounds like you're doing great though!
Have you got a goal at the end like a 5k, or are you just doing it for fitness?
Well, both options are for fitness, but ya'know...:colondollar:

That last 25min run is almost the full 30minutes/5k :s-smilie:

Sounds like you're doing great though!
Have you got a goal at the end like a 5k, or are you just doing it for fitness?

Not quite, as I'm running a little over a 10min mile at the moment. I defo want to get my 5k <30min

Yeah I'm really pleased with myself. Managed to survive 20 minutes at the end of last week :biggrin:

Once I've reached the end of the programme I do want to enter in a race for life or something similar.

I've also discovered "parkrun", which are free 5ks every Saturday morning that are all over the country, and there's one not too far from my uni, so I think I'll start doing those regularly to keep fit and to get my time down :smile:
Hey guys!

Just saw this thread and thought I'd join you all. I'm starting C25K after work this afternoon, meant to start on Saturday but I'd come down with a stinking cold. I'm hoping to run on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays and get to the gym on Tuesdays and Saturdays. I've got about a stone to lose, preferably 1 1/2 stone though and I'm hoping this will help me. I've downloaded the app for my phone so I'm going to see how I get on with it tonight. Quite nervous but also a bit excited, just want to lose some of this weight!
Reply 34
Original post by hbandtr4eva
Hey guys!

Just saw this thread and thought I'd join you all. I'm starting C25K after work this afternoon, meant to start on Saturday but I'd come down with a stinking cold. I'm hoping to run on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays and get to the gym on Tuesdays and Saturdays. I've got about a stone to lose, preferably 1 1/2 stone though and I'm hoping this will help me. I've downloaded the app for my phone so I'm going to see how I get on with it tonight. Quite nervous but also a bit excited, just want to lose some of this weight!

Thats great! :biggrin: I'm only 2 weeks ahead of you, so still remember what starting was like!
I run every other day, so I don't have a set pattern, but then I'm not going to the gym either! I've got roughly the same amount of weight to loose as well.
It's hard, but you'll love yourself after doing it! :biggrin:
Every time I run I feel like I've achieved something, and that I'm getting better :smile:
Let me know how your first run goes!
Reply 35
Hey folks! Glad to see so many people sticking at it! A few months ago, when I still actually ran, I decided to skip the Couch to 5K and started midway into the Couch to 10k! However, I wasn't as fit as I thought and it did not end well :frown:

Today, I started running again for the first time in ages and realised how unfit I now am! I think I'll have to start the 5k again and just do it properly :biggrin:
Original post by Robbolo

Original post by Robbolo
Hey folks! Glad to see so many people sticking at it! A few months ago, when I still actually ran, I decided to skip the Couch to 5K and started midway into the Couch to 10k! However, I wasn't as fit as I thought and it did not end well :frown:

Today, I started running again for the first time in ages and realised how unfit I now am! I think I'll have to start the 5k again and just do it properly :biggrin:

I thought that when I first started C25k. "Running for one minute, pfft" was my thought, I went a bit too fast and nearly died :p: Definitely worth it if you follow the programme.
Reply 37
Hello,

thought I should add my little comment to this thread.

I put a massive amount of weight during university and my placement year, until one day I looked at myself and thought that's it.
I started by cutting out broozing, coco-cola and started watching what I was eating. I cut down my food portions and started getting more veg and fruit. Oh and also started drinking lots and lots of water.

As for exercise, I wanted to do something that I would stick at, did not need a gym membership and was outdoors. And that I decided on running.

2 months ago I couldn't run for more then 5 minutes without stopping and thinking how am I going to carry on. I had pain in my legs and couldnt walk up the stairs. However, I kept with it and now I've ran 3 10ks and several 5ks. I love running and do it 4 or 5 times a week, I look forward to getting back from work and just going for a run.

I feel better and look more toned. I haven't weighed myself recently, but 4 weeks ago I already lost 1/2 a stone. I've noticed my trousers and clothes are getting looser.

Plus, with running, I think I may take it up seriously and enter races etc, not just a product for weight loss. I guess thats the joy of running.

Have fun! :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 38
Oh and I play football once a week.
Reply 39
Original post by Robbolo

Hahaha nevermind :hugs:
I imagine everyone in this thread thought they were fitter than they really were before starting running...I know I did!
It's funny how quickly that particular illusion shatters when you're out of breath after 60 seconds :frown:

Good luck with the reboot! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest