The Student Room Group
University of York
York

University of York accommodation/college info and questions 2011/12

Scroll to see replies

Hey I have a few questions about the uni which I would be grateful for answers to:
- How long does it take to walk from the campus into York town centre (if it is within walking distance?)
- In 2nd and 3rd year do a high proportion of people live in houses close by to the uni campus? (i.e within walking distance)
- How often are there events/partys etc held by the students union or whatever for students?
- Is there generally a good social life, does the uni attract sociable people that like to go out etc?
thanks
University of York
York
Reply 1601
Original post by Nerdy03
Okay thank you :smile:. I've got an offer for PPE. Which exams count however? Only the ones in june?

In your first year, you'll have exams- but they won't count towards your final degree classification.

Second and Third year exams, however, do. Generally, they happen at the beginning or end of terms- and one final set halfway through Summer term.

As is standard, you'll have to prep for them through holidays- probably with an essay or two on the go, as well. It's more than managable, if you allocate the time.
Original post by TheBrightSide
Hey I have a few questions about the uni which I would be grateful for answers to:
- How long does it take to walk from the campus into York town centre (if it is within walking distance?)
- In 2nd and 3rd year do a high proportion of people live in houses close by to the uni campus? (i.e within walking distance)
- How often are there events/partys etc held by the students union or whatever for students?
- Is there generally a good social life, does the uni attract sociable people that like to go out etc?
thanks

1. yes

2. yes

3. Not very often - unless you count official Uni of York nights in clubs in town. Events in campus are often college based, and historically Derwent's been the only college to put decent ones on. I'd just assume that you have to organise nights out and so on in your block, or go to society ones.

4. All universities are full of pretty sociable people. There are, of course, some people that aren't especially sociable, but most are. Perhaps York has slightly fewer hardcore partiers than some unis, given that York isn't exactly renowned for its club scene. You'll almost certainly be fine on this front, however.
Reply 1603
Original post by TruckBear
1. yes

2. yes

3. Not very often - unless you count official Uni of York nights in clubs in town. Events in campus are often college based, and historically Derwent's been the only college to put decent ones on. I'd just assume that you have to organise nights out and so on in your block, or go to society ones.

4. All universities are full of pretty sociable people. There are, of course, some people that aren't especially sociable, but most are. Perhaps York has slightly fewer hardcore partiers than some unis, given that York isn't exactly renowned for its club scene. You'll almost certainly be fine on this front, however.

Not sure yes counts as an answer to how long it takes to get to town? :colondollar:

Its about a 30 minute walk if I recall (if you're going into the centre of town, anyway). Haven't walked from campus in a while however...
Original post by mhsc
Not sure yes counts as an answer to how long it takes to get to town? :colondollar:

Its about a 30 minute walk if I recall (if you're going into the centre of town, anyway). Haven't walked from campus in a while however...

:biggrin: I misread it as 'is it in walking distance of the town?'

But yes, it is in walking distance of town, and it takes I would estimate 20-25 minutes from Vanbrugh - although usually longer with a group who've been pre-drinking.
Hi everyone,

Hoping you can help. I have an unconditional firm offer for York, I start Sept 2012. Can I ask, do unconditional students get to pick their accommodation before the students with conditional offers?

Also, I'm looking through all the different colleges in terms of accommodation... I notice that there is "Old Vanbrugh" and "New Vanbrugh". Is there any way of specifying which one you want when you apply? I looked round new Vanbrugh and really liked it, it was modern but simple, just want I would like. Are there any other colleges with accommodation similar to new Vanbrugh, as I know some colleges have very dated accommodation..

Thanks!
Reply 1606
Original post by xoxjubixox
Hi everyone,

Hoping you can help. I have an unconditional firm offer for York, I start Sept 2012. Can I ask, do unconditional students get to pick their accommodation before the students with conditional offers?

Also, I'm looking through all the different colleges in terms of accommodation... I notice that there is "Old Vanbrugh" and "New Vanbrugh". Is there any way of specifying which one you want when you apply? I looked round new Vanbrugh and really liked it, it was modern but simple, just want I would like. Are there any other colleges with accommodation similar to new Vanbrugh, as I know some colleges have very dated accommodation..

Thanks!

Yeah, you get to pick first and yeah, you can specify which part of Vanbrugh - last year there was a drop-down menu with 'Vanbrugh Band 4' or 'Band 1' or whatever.

Both Alcuin and Goodricke (bands 3 & 4) look very similar to New Vanbrugh. I'm also pretty sure James Band 3 does as well, though I could be wrong.
Original post by Vekeh
Yeah, you get to pick first and yeah, you can specify which part of Vanbrugh - last year there was a drop-down menu with 'Vanbrugh Band 4' or 'Band 1' or whatever.

Both Alcuin and Goodricke (bands 3 & 4) look very similar to New Vanbrugh. I'm also pretty sure James Band 3 does as well, though I could be wrong.

Thank you for this! I sent the accommodation office an email ages ago but never got a reply about it, so was a bit annoyed. I know it's really early to be thinking about but I'm getting excited already, especially as my gap year so far has been ... bleh!

At the moment I think I'm most interested in James, Vanbrugh (new) or Goodricke. Goodricke is on the Hes East campus which is where my teaching building is so I'm not sure whether to go for it because it's close... or whether I'd prefer being on the main campus. I know everyone says James is really good socially... is that true would you say? Just really looking for simple, modern accommodation with people that are sociable :smile: Seems so simple but I've heard horror stories in the past.. not from York but from other friends. Guess all I can do is bite the bullet and go for it! Think I might head up there at some point to check all the different places out in person and get a feel for them. Thanks for your help!
Thank you for this! I sent the accommodation office an email ages ago but never got a reply about it, so was a bit annoyed. I know it's really early to be thinking about but I'm getting excited already, especially as my gap year so far has been ... bleh!

At the moment I think I'm most interested in James, Vanbrugh (new) or Goodricke. Goodricke is on the Hes East campus which is where my teaching building is so I'm not sure whether to go for it because it's close... or whether I'd prefer being on the main campus. I know everyone says James is really good socially... is that true would you say? Just really looking for simple, modern accommodation with people that are sociable :smile: Seems so simple but I've heard horror stories in the past.. not from York but from other friends. Guess all I can do is bite the bullet and go for it! Think I might head up there at some point to check all the different places out in person and get a feel for them. Thanks for your help!

I'd go for Hes East if your course is up there, socially it should be much better next year as Langwith will be there as well as Goodricke, and they're finally getting a bar and stuff. You'd probably find it a drag going from main campus to Hes East multiple times a day, but you'd still be able to get to main campus really easily when you need to.
Original post by sentiment
I'd go for Hes East if your course is up there, socially it should be much better next year as Langwith will be there as well as Goodricke, and they're finally getting a bar and stuff. You'd probably find it a drag going from main campus to Hes East multiple times a day, but you'd still be able to get to main campus really easily when you need to.

Yeah, I was leaning towards it.. just worried about the whole.. being "cut off" from main campus, but I spose if Langwith is up there when I go it might feel a little less so. Ahh, decision, always been bad with them! Thanks for your help :smile:
Original post by TheBrightSide
thanks

It takes I reckon 30 mins to walk, but there are buses for £2 return every 10 mins :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1611
Does the university offer place for student to work during summer or have intership in years 3 like Durham?? i got offer from economic,econometric and finance
I went to the open day last Wed but nobody said about this
Reply 1612
They do indeed fzzz. My exgirlfriend worked all through summer (at the end of first year) in an internship on campus. I think its tax free as well.
Reply 1613
Original post by mhsc
They do indeed fzzz. My exgirlfriend worked all through summer (at the end of first year) in an internship on campus. I think its tax free as well.

What does your ex study in York and Is her intership related to her subject
Thanks anyway
Reply 1614
Original post by fzzz
What does your ex study in York and Is her intership related to her subject
Thanks anyway

Yes its related, we both study Computer Science and her internship was related. Now I just have to hope no one I know reads this post otherwise they will easily realise who I am and who I am referring to :gah:
Reply 1615
Hi!
I will get my results in June. How long will it take for the uni to confirm it (a week or 2 weeks after I have send them my results?) and do u think I will be able to apply for accommodation in June or I will have to wait until August? Thanks!!!!!!
Hi everyone,

Thanks!

Its the banding. Band 4 I believe is new Vanbrugh so will be Donald Brabra Scott and the other one. It'll be the most expensive cos it's nice. You'll get it too cos you get to choose early. If you really look into the college sub websites this informaton is hidden in there, as i found out last August. :smile:
Reply 1617
Can anyone help me with accommodation I really don't know where to start.

I'm doing Film & TV production next year (it's unconditional). I don't know whether to look at the accommodation on heslington east still or whether that's a bit out of everything being further away. I also want self catered and I think I want an en suite.

I don't want somewhere really quiet but I don't want somewhere with a 'party reputation' either anymore like derwent. Any ideas?
Original post by metric
Can anyone help me with accommodation I really don't know where to start.

I'm doing Film & TV production next year (it's unconditional). I don't know whether to look at the accommodation on heslington east still or whether that's a bit out of everything being further away. I also want self catered and I think I want an en suite.

I don't want somewhere really quiet but I don't want somewhere with a 'party reputation' either anymore like derwent. Any ideas?

Hes East really isn't that far out at all. It's perhaps a 15 minute walk, and there are regular free buses to and from Hes West until around 11.30 in the evening. You won't be somehow cut off from the main campus stuff if you live there :smile:
Reply 1619
Original post by LostHorizons
Hes East really isn't that far out at all. It's perhaps a 15 minute walk, and there are regular free buses to and from Hes West until around 11.30 in the evening. You won't be somehow cut off from the main campus stuff if you live there :smile:

Okay thats reassuring :smile: might have a little more of a look into hes east then! thanks :smile:

Quick Reply