The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Warwick University - Eng Lit and Creative Writing

Scroll to see replies

Thanks for the replies :smile:
My email definitely doesn't say anything about a portfolio. Viapurifico, have you got an interview just for English Lit and Creative Writing? Maybe it's because I've applied to two courses, so the email is different?

Hmm. Strange.

I'll email them if the matter isn't resolved- I don't want to just not produce one, if I was actually meant to!
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Original post by ConstantCritic
Thanks for the replies :smile:
My email definitely doesn't say anything about a portfolio. Viapurifico, have you got an interview just for English Lit and Creative Writing? Maybe it's because I've applied to two courses, so the email is different?

Yep, mine was last year so it may be different, but I was just applying for 'English Lit and Creative Writing'. In the same email it invites me to set up an account on their website somewhere where you will then pick accommodation if you get an offer. :smile: I'd say definitely follow up. I met someone on the day who'd applied for two courses and they needed a portfolio. Nothing stopping you from contacting them.
Thanks- I've just sent an email now. I'm sure it'll be cleared up soon!
Reply 163
Does anyone know if we are allowed to submit coursework? On the site is says its not allowed, but the email doesn't mention it. And it says a commentary 'may' be submitted, is this definetly expected?
Original post by splodge88
Does anyone know if we are allowed to submit coursework? On the site is says its not allowed, but the email doesn't mention it. And it says a commentary 'may' be submitted, is this definetly expected?

If the site says it isn't allowed, then I wouldn't. I did submit one pre-written essay, but it hadn't been used for coursework. Think it's better if you do submit a commentary as it helps the reader put it into context and maybe intrigue them as you point out things they may not have noticed, or thought you put in by accident. Make them interested, because that's what'll get you an interview because they'll want to know more. :smile:
Reply 165

It does say not to, so if you have other things to put in it i'd do that. I did however phone up the office beforemy interview and asked if I could submit coursework and they said it would be okay. I didn't mention which bits were coursework etc and managed to get a place on the course. I would do a commentary if I were you, it'll help them see where you get your inspiration from, why you do things in a particular way etc. Good luck xx
Reply 166
Haven't been on this forum since I was applying for EL&CW in 2006. I'm now doing the MA in Writing (part time) to finish my first book.

I know the department better than it knows itself & can offer some advice/insight/misdirection should you have any queries.

It really depends on your work. If it explains itself relatively well, I wouldn't say it's necessarily that important at this stage. However, if you want to submit extracts from larger works, or poetry that needs a bit more explanation, then I would probably include a couple of hundred words or so, just to fix the work a little better. I didn't really include much by way of commentary and ended up here, so I don't think it can be that vital. Good luck with the interview! Look out for me, I'm doing campus tours for interviewees - I'll be the person with blue hair. :biggrin:
Thanks for the advice. :smile: I'll look out for you!
Reply 169
Thanks for your responses. I have dropped the university an email asking about the inclusion of coursework, and I'll have to come up with an exciting commentary :smile:
P.s. I'll look out for the blue hair :P
Reply 170
GUTTED: just got rejected :frown: thought the interview had gone okay...will have to follow up :frown:
Reply 171
GUTTED: just got rejected :frown: thought the interview had gone okay...will have to follow up :frown:

Sorry you didn't get a place, I also last year applied for this course and thought the interview went well but also got rejected, my only regret is that I didn't email for feedback on what I might have done wrong at interview...
Oh I'm not stalking this thread because I'm bitter :colondollar:, just got an email about this thread and it reminded me with the whole interview thing, do you mind me asking who interviewed you? :smile:
Reply 172
Original post by writer27
Sorry you didn't get a place, I also last year applied for this course and thought the interview went well but also got rejected, my only regret is that I didn't email for feedback on what I might have done wrong at interview...
Oh I'm not stalking this thread because I'm bitter :colondollar:, just got an email about this thread and it reminded me with the whole interview thing, do you mind me asking who interviewed you? :smile:

Sorry its been a while to reply - been on holiday :smile: I'm definetly going to email for feedback - I can't remember the name of the guy, I'll have to look it up so I know who to email. I'll write back here when I know the name!

EDIT: found the name, I'll pm you
(edited 11 years ago)
I still haven't heard for this course :/. Anyone else in the same position as me? Or for straight English Lit?
don't worry - in the same boat, still haven't had a response for english lit at warwick. when is the final deadline for hearing back?
Original post by AnujaBatra
don't worry - in the same boat, still haven't had a response for english lit at warwick. when is the final deadline for hearing back?

I had an interview on the 24th Feb for both courses (Eng. Lit. and Eng. Lit./CW), but haven't heard back as yet. I was told I'd hear by the end of March, but I think they have to tell us by the 9th or 10th of May. Did you have an interview?
nope! didn't even hear about an interview - i must not be getting one considering how late it is.
ah ok thanks.
if it helps you, i rang them twice because i hadn't heard from them since i sent off my ucas in october. both times they were really nice but said they were still filtering applicants and wouldn't tell me when the final date to tell us by was.

waa want to know soon so i can firm unis/get accommodation etc!
Yeah, me too! They really should have told you by now. Really hope they get back to us soon. I'm thinking about calling them.
I got an offer for English Lit!!!!!! Didn't get creative writing, but I honestly don't really care.
SO EXCITED!!!

Quick Reply

Latest