The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough

Loughborough University for an International student

Hello there!

I am 19 years old and currently finishing the 2nd year of my 4 year Electronic engineering program. I am in NUST, which is ranked at 250 internationally for its engineering program.

Thing is my university is pretty awesome but go to a pretty ****ty campus. And I've been hating it since day one. However my dad said that if I got a decent GPA I could try and apply abroad.

Hence I have been e-mailing a number of universities in the UK since they are comparatively cheaper than USA and Canada etc.

I have recieved negative replies from Edinburgh and Birmingham. However Loughborough has replied very positively.

Do you think I should seriously considering going there? Me being an International student? Will it be worth the investment? I will be starting from second year. And will study two years there. I wanna try for a placement year as well. What are the chances of getting selected for Industrial placement?

My first choice however would be Queen Mary! They have responded SOME WHAT positively so I am not 100% sure about them.

So I now leave it to you! Please guide me! Thank you. :smile:
Reply 1
I used to think it is okay for international students here, but more recently I felt more n more than the university isn't really that supportive to international students as they claimed to be really.....
Sigh.....used to be the uni that I love, now seem going downhill.
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough
Reply 2
It is what you make of it at the end of the day. I had a horrible time integrating my first year, because of the lack of international support. But the ISA committee was better my 2nd year, we had more trips socials etc. I ended up on the promotions team for Universal Thursday which won best International Student night in the NUS awards.

I don't know what's happening there, but I Hear the night isn't as good anymore. Needs some keen new blood to take over and promote it I think :smile:

What it does for you CV depends on where you want to go and what you want to achieve, studying abroad and coming with a UK degree is always a good thing (most employers back home don't differentiate between UK Unis, unless it's oxbridge where they would oogle at you).
Reply 3
International Thursday is a pretty packed night still, quite a lot of eastern European women dancing with the Chinese xD

There is support for international students, especially if you can get into John Phillips. Yes you won't integrate, but there will be 400-600 other people all in the same boat around you.
Reply 4
Hey guys, does anyone know how good the Afro-Caribbean Society is?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending