The Student Room Group

No Uni Offers - please help!

Anybody have advice for me. I am studying for my Art Foundation and have applied to study Fashion this year. Unfortunately I have no offers.

i am predicted a Distinction and with my A Levels I will achieve more than the required UCAS points. It seems that my portfolio or interview skills have let me down.

I am really desperate and don't know what to do, particularly as I can't imagine any places being available through Extra or clearing.

Any advice or suggestions please?
Reply 1
Take a year out - Do work in experience in that particular area :smile:

I'm really sorry to hear that you didn't get any offers - places have become so competitive :frown: Good luck :smile:
Reply 2
If you don't manage to get onto a course through Extra or Clearing (there's no harm in trying) then as Lottie18 said, take the year out and focus on getting experience that'll make your application stand out. If possible, you could work on your portfolio and interview techniques too :smile:
You can see through the search option on the UCAS website which courses are still available this year (those with a small 'x' at the end of the course name are available in Extra and those with a 'c' are closed). There is no harm in trying.
Theres quite a few courses in Extra this year.
(Compared to last year when it was literally fight to the death for uni places) :tongue:
Id give it a shot anyway, if you have no offers you dont really have much to lose.
Plus while your waiting for responses you could make adjustments to your portfolio and work to give yourself a better shot at these other unis?
Theres two months left of extra, (this month, and then june) and you have to give each uni atleast 3 weeks to return with a reply.
You could probably get 3 attempts in this time to apply through extra!

Im currently in extra myself, although I held offers, i decided i didn't want to pay 9 grand for a course i wasn't 100% into.
if i dont get anything this year, im going to resit my exams to boost up my application for 2013 entry to give me a better chance of getting something i really want.
The worse thing to do though, if pick a course just because its a last minute or the only option, make sure you research the courses correctly.
Due to the sheer competition of last year, i picked a uni i didn't want to really go to just because i was terrified i wouldn't get a place elsewhere, now ive dropped out and have to pay back 3 grand!

A year isn't really that long either, if your working/studying, it will fly by.
And its worth the wait really :smile:
Reply 5
Thanks for your suggestions.

I have tried one place through Extra (UCLAN) but they replied that they due to the demand they are unable to consider me, evn though they were identified in Extra.

I am considering doing a 2 year course through my college which incurs fees. I may then consider trying again for next year, hopefully with an improved portfolio. If I get an offer from a uni, I will leave my course and start afressh on the degree course.

Does anybody see any problems with this?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending