The Student Room Group
Lord Ashcroft Building, Anglia Ruskin University
Anglia Ruskin University
Chelmsford
Visit website

Anglia Ruskin University 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ainoaino

Anyway, do you have any knowledge of the English lit & writing course in Anglia Ruskin? :smile:

I've just applied for this course last minute,
it actually looks pretty decent what we're covering on course content,
I just had to leave my course in Falmouth of English and Media, and the course was generally pants anyway, fingers crossed i get accepted, and this course is actually better (its 51 places above Falmouth in Guardian for it, so fingers crossed :biggrin:)
Lord Ashcroft Building, Anglia Ruskin University
Anglia Ruskin University
Chelmsford
Visit website
Reply 61
Original post by TheWorldEndsWithMe
Been offered 29b, myself, so I'll probably be miles away from you all (don't know how it's laid out) but we should be nearby enough. :smile:

But honestly? Annoyed, it was my eighth choice accomodation. :/

Glad I found some others staying at Sedley Court.. I'm in 24a myself :smile:
Reply 62
Hi everyone,

I'm in a bit of a dilemma and was hoping one of you would be kind enough to help me out.

I am predicted ABB at my A Level subjects, and have been offered a conditional place to study Psychology at Anglia Ruskin at 240 tarrif points, which is something like 3 Cs I believe?

I haven't been able to visit Anglia Ruskin as yet so am going by what I've read over the internet, which unfortunately is rather negative.

Have any of you guys been to see it? Or know of someone who has taken a course there?
If I do manage to achieve my ABB, I feel as though I'd rather go to a Uni that actually offers that, rather than one that offers a lot lower. I've left it too late now though :frown:

Any thoughts?
(edited 11 years ago)
Have been offered room 135 in Peter Taylor House :smile:
who else is staying in anastasia house ?:colondollar:
Reply 65
I am! Are you in a shared bit?
I got a conditional offer for Business Economics. Its my insurance choice. Anyone got any opinions on the Uni or from someone who actually goes there?
Original post by kmirreh1
I am! Are you in a shared bit?

I dont even know if I'm in the shared bit..I'm in room 2.6..
Original post by paigums
Hi everyone,

I'm in a bit of a dilemma and was hoping one of you would be kind enough to help me out.

I am predicted ABB at my A Level subjects, and have been offered a conditional place to study Psychology at Anglia Ruskin at 240 tarrif points, which is something like 3 Cs I believe?

I haven't been able to visit Anglia Ruskin as yet so am going by what I've read over the internet, which unfortunately is rather negative.

Have any of you guys been to see it? Or know of someone who has taken a course there?
If I do manage to achieve my ABB, I feel as though I'd rather go to a Uni that actually offers that, rather than one that offers a lot lower. I've left it too late now though :frown:

Any thoughts?

I went to see it (I'm assuming you're talking about the Cambridge campus) and honestly? The atmosphere was much friendlier than anywhere else I went to see (bar, perhaps, Liverpool), and it's in such a lovely part of the country.

The reason it's viewed negatively is because it's relatively new by comparison to some of the 'great' places and because it hasn't been open as long/had any really good publicity, to fill the spaces it has to do courses with less strict entry requirements.
That's not to say all the courses are bad though - we got talking to the head of Optometry (what I applied for) and there was talk of upping the requirements for next year's cycle to AAB for Optom, which puts that course on the same requirements as Ulster, City, Glasgow Caledonian etcetc, as well as Manchester (although Manchester interviews).
So in terms of grades, it's basically on the same level as everything else for that subject.

If the only thing that's putting you off is the fact that it's not as 'respected' or something like that then I don't think anything I, or anyone else, will say is going to change your mind. All I can tell you is to look hard at the course modules and decide if it's interesting enough to go there. If it's really interesting to you and nowhere else offers that exact group of modules (or however it's done, I'm not entirely sure), then you shouldn't let reputation put you off.
Looks like everyone's doing optom
I never got a chance to see the area
How is it ?

Plus any1 got accomodation at cb1
Also anyone who applied for optom
Was this your lowest grade requirement for ur 5 unis
(Exluding foundation courses - I put the city one as my insurance lol - better safe than sorry)
Reply 71
Original post by britchick
Have been offered room 135 in Peter Taylor House :smile:

Hey been offered Peter Taylor too. Room 106 i think it was. :smile:
Been up Camridge to see it? I thought it was pretty good all round. What course you doing??
Original post by sstripling
Hey been offered Peter Taylor too. Room 106 i think it was. :smile:
Been up Camridge to see it? I thought it was pretty good all round. What course you doing??

Oh nice one! Yeah I went last Feb for the open day, absolutely loved it. Cambridge is such a lovely area as well. Didn't get to see the accommodation though, did you? And I've applied for Optometry (and I'm told Peter Taylor is near the visual sciences block woo :biggrin:) how about you?
Original post by ThatAamirGuy
(Exluding foundation courses - I put the city one as my insurance lol - better safe than sorry)

Yep, Aston was AAA, Anglia Ruskin was ABB and all the other (England) ones were AAB. All other 3 in the UK were either AAA or AAB also.
I'm going to Anglia Ruskin Cambridge in September to study audio& music technology. Does anyone else live outside Cambridge & plan on commuting in every day?
Original post by TheWorldEndsWithMe
I went to see it (I'm assuming you're talking about the Cambridge campus) and honestly? The atmosphere was much friendlier than anywhere else I went to see (bar, perhaps, Liverpool), and it's in such a lovely part of the country.

The reason it's viewed negatively is because it's relatively new by comparison to some of the 'great' places and because it hasn't been open as long/had any really good publicity, to fill the spaces it has to do courses with less strict entry requirements.
That's not to say all the courses are bad though - we got talking to the head of Optometry (what I applied for) and there was talk of upping the requirements for next year's cycle to AAB for Optom, which puts that course on the same requirements as Ulster, City, Glasgow Caledonian etcetc, as well as Manchester (although Manchester interviews).
So in terms of grades, it's basically on the same level as everything else for that subject.

If the only thing that's putting you off is the fact that it's not as 'respected' or something like that then I don't think anything I, or anyone else, will say is going to change your mind. All I can tell you is to look hard at the course modules and decide if it's interesting enough to go there. If it's really interesting to you and nowhere else offers that exact group of modules (or however it's done, I'm not entirely sure), then you shouldn't let reputation put you off.

As a recent graduate (class of 2011), I would agree with you on most points. During my time there, I always thought that what ARU needed was to up their entry requirements a little, as I studied with students (in my opinion) who weren't ready for higher education. That would also help lowering the drop-out rate, due to some not being able to cope with their studies.

I did a BSc (Hons) in Biomedical Science and my course had its fair share of frustrating moments and for every good lecturer, there was a bad one. Overall, its what you make of it. In my opinion, I wouldn't recommend ARU for Biomed to anyone, cos of my experience. I managed to get a first, but felt that at times we had little support and the bare minimum of contact time. Our practicals were mostly disorganised and there we never enough resources to allow us to learn effectively by doing. This is a key skill that is needed if you want to find a lab job or go into research. The choice & quality of 3rd yr projects on my course were just ok...not brilliant, just ok.

This may be improving a little and with the building work now complete, it does seem like they moving in the right direction. But, there are still some average lecturers there and depending on the course you do, you either have it good or bad.

League tables are crap, but that is what the industry, employers and other universities look at, so if ARU want to be taken seriously and build their reputation and get more funding (for research for example), they need to improve and move up the table. I worked for 4 months in a research lab (BMRC) at UEA recently and I tell you now that ARU does not have the laboratory resources and equipment that is required to train the future molecular/biomed/biochemistry scientists.

I'll end on a good point, if you are a committed student and work hard, you can get a good degree (2.1 or 1st) at ARU, and its not impossible to go on to better or achieve success. I just accepted a offer from Imperial College to do a research Masters this coming autumn. Nothing is impossible, its what you make of it!

Good luck to all you ARU firmers...study hard, enjoy Cambridge (its a beautiful place), have fun and you'll get the chance to make real good friends there.
(edited 11 years ago)

Yeah, ARU's is the lowest.
Original post by littlehippiegirl
I'm going to Anglia Ruskin Cambridge in September to study audio& music technology. Does anyone else live outside Cambridge & plan on commuting in every day?

I commuted into Cambridge from Stansted for all my years of my degree. Where are you planning to commute from? I knew someone on my course who drove in from Colchester and another person came from Canvey Island area. At least we didn't have to commute 5 days a week. We mostly had lectures and practicals 3 days a week.
Reply 78

Yh it was and I am glad about it
Oh I put city foundation as my insurance too :biggrin:
CDD - should be ok
Original post by VENIVIDIVICI
I commuted into Cambridge from Stansted for all my years of my degree. Where are you planning to commute from? I knew someone on my course who drove in from Colchester and another person came from Canvey Island area. At least we didn't have to commute 5 days a week. We mostly had lectures and practicals 3 days a week.

I'll be going from Colchester. I don't drive though so I'll have to get the train, for now at least - I don't mind the journey (love trains and travelling!) but I checked out the fares for season tickets and they're horrendous, really doubting how much my student loan will be able to cover...!

Quick Reply