The Student Room Group
Bournemouth University students in library, Talbot campus
Bournemouth University
Poole

Bournemouth accommodation

I'm hoping to go to bournemouth in sept as an international student (from USA) and don't know a lot about the "real" university since I don't know anyone and haven't visited. What accommodation is the best? I've heard from some friends at other uk universities that some housing is separated by courses so those students live together a lot: is there a certain accommodation for media/pr students? :smile: if someone could give me some advice, that would be awesome!
Original post by malloryym
I'm hoping to go to bournemouth in sept as an international student (from USA) and don't know a lot about the "real" university since I don't know anyone and haven't visited. What accommodation is the best? I've heard from some friends at other uk universities that some housing is separated by courses so those students live together a lot: is there a certain accommodation for media/pr students? :smile: if someone could give me some advice, that would be awesome!

I don't go to Bournemouth University, but I lived in the town and know Poole, the adjoining town for 18 and a half years before moving to uni myself, so any questions, don't hesitate to ask me :smile:

With regards to travel, this is what I personally recommend;

If you are flying to London Heathrow: Get a Tube service across to London Waterloo, come up all the escalators, then get a South West train to either Weymouth or Bournemouth & Weymouth - journey time ranges from between 1 hour 50 minutes and 3 hours

If you are flying to London Gatwick: Come out of the airport onto the train station, and get the Southern train to Southampton Central (make sure you're in the right part of the train, as it divides fairly early into the journey and heads towards London Victoria - I remember feeling very panicky after flying back from Spain a few years ago) the journey is about 2 hours. Cross over onto Platform 4 and get either of the South West train services that I told you about (between 30 minutes and 1 hour in duration to Bournemouth from Southampton), OR get the Crosscountry which is 1/2 hour long.

If you are flying to Manchester: Get a taxi or tram across the city, then jump on a direct CrossCountry service from Manchester Piccadilly Station to Bournemouth - duration is around 5 hours.

I cannot think of any other airports in the UK that you can fly to from the USA.

Your best bet when you get to Bournemouth is go through the ticket machine, and get a taxi, or if you want to save money, walk past the taxis to the Bus Station, pick up an M1 bus (unmissable they are Blue and come about once every 10 minutes or so) towards Castlepoint Shopping Centre. Get off the bus at the terminus (20 mins from Bournemouth station - can get there in 10 in a car, but our bus drivers like to be slow and late unlike many other British cities) and wait for a number 15 to Poole to come in (these come hourly), and its about 15 minutes away. You can't miss it. Still, if unsure, ask the driver, they may be slow and late, but always willing to tell people who don't know the area their stop.

One number to tap into your cell phone (if it works in the UK) is 556677 the best known taxi service in Bournemouth, relatively cheap, but get the bus more if you can - a bit cheaper.

My recommendation is to get an Orange simcard then you and your mates can go to the cinema on a Wednesday for 'Buy One Get One Free' - (1/2 price tickets if you split, or 1 person goes free if one of you are generous). But also get an O2 sim card as a spare, as if you go to any music concerts at the O2 academy in Boscombe it will get you to the front of the queue quicker. We do have chart acts down there, but if you want big international names, the closest most come is London unfortunately, though Lady Gaga did come along with the Pussycat Dolls in 2009 - the last time a major US celeb was in our town.
Bournemouth University students in library, Talbot campus
Bournemouth University
Poole
Reply 2
I'm hoping to go to Bournemouth too, as far as I know the accommodation isn't split in anyway you just pick it according to your preference, you should take a look at http://www.bournemouth.ac.uk/accommodation/ as it lists all the accommodation, here is a price guide for last year's intake http://www.bournemouth.ac.uk/accommodation/price-guide-2011-12.pdf

This might be useful:
http://www.bournemouth.ac.uk/virtualtour/]

Hope that helped :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending