The Student Room Group

Learning an AS level over summer?

I was wondering has anyone ever thought about learning an AS level over the period when exams finished and summer? To then go back in September and start A2 of that course and do the AS exams in January. I was thinking of doing this with a subject but I wanted to see who has done it or is interested.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Sounds a bit risky...

How are you planning on 'learning' it?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Ha, this was the option I was given for Geography at my school because no-one else is doing it. Then I decided that I want to enjoy my holiday, so changed to Economics.

It's not a bad idea, and you get 4 A2s.

Don't stress.
Reply 3
Sounds like it could work but it might be worth looking into whether there's a teacher or tutor nearby who could just give you a few tips before the exam, just in case you miss anything vital. So long as you're prepared to work really hard when everyone else is doing not a lot, not to mention prolong the exam stress, then you should go for it. I guess if it goes badly you can always change your mind later.
Reply 4
I think you guys have covered the social implications there! Going on holiday? That could be an issue..

If you can find yourself a tutor, which could be potentially expensive, then that would give you some professional confidence.

I'd be cautious though...

Reply 5
Ok thanks guys. Does anyone do Physics? That was the subject I'm looking to do it with, but I hear its the hardest science which is why the grade boundaries are so low... might put me off a little.
Reply 6
Original post by MashB
Ok thanks guys. Does anyone do Physics? That was the subject I'm looking to do it with, but I hear its the hardest science which is why the grade boundaries are so low... might put me off a little.

I'm actually planning on doing Physics this summer
Reply 7
I'm an arts kind of guy so that's out of my league... :P

Reply 8
Is it possible? Yeah.

Don't forget the importance of having a break though. Most of my motivation is drained over the summer exams and if I didn't have a break then I would probably have no motivation come September.

Good luck whatever you do!

You could put it on your personal statement if you do do it, show's dedication to work over summer.
Reply 9
Original post by Benniboi1
Is it possible? Yeah.

Don't forget the importance of having a break though. Most of my motivation is drained over the summer exams and if I didn't have a break then I would probably have no motivation come September.

Good luck whatever you do!

You could put it on your personal statement if you do do it, show's dedication to work over summer.

Thanks man! Some really good points, I'll take note.
No because I have a life.
Reply 11
I was acruslly considering doing this haha.

I already have Physics AS at B? Close to an A I believe though. So I thought maybe I should just get another A2 over summer? I have centre that will take me for near to no cost on my part (old school) so theres no issue there.
Plus having 4 Alevels, may be an advantage tbh...

Main problem for me is that, what if I don't understand something? I guess TSR is here... I don't know. Will have to consider once all my exams are done :smile:

How hard is Physics A2 with AQA? :smile:
I've self taught myself 1 and 1/2 A-levels over the last year from home (well the full A-level was a distance learning course) If you want any tips you can message me :smile:
Reply 13
i am thinking of doing this. My AS physics grade will most probably be bad so i need a good AS
Reply 14
I would say it is possible, but with Physics, maybe not. Physics is one of the subjects that i would say you need somebody helping you here and there, as if you do not understand one thing, you could be stuffed trying to learn other things.

I suppose it would be possible with subjects such as Geography / History / R.S. etc, as you can just learn and revise those subjects as such, however, with Physics, i would think it is too complex to study over a Summer period.
Reply 15
Original post by MashB
I was wondering has anyone ever thought about learning an AS level over the period when exams finished and summer? To then go back in September and start A2 of that course and do the AS exams in January. I was thinking of doing this with a subject but I wanted to see who has done it or is interested.

I'm doing this with Geology and Additional Further Maths (AS and A2) this summer (and possibly Thinking Skills), and sitting them in January.

I think it depends on whether you're actually getting enjoyment out of it, or whether you're just doing it for the extra qualification. If you fall within the latter, you are more likely to lose the motivation required. However, that's not to say it's impossible. I'm sure there will be teachers willing to help, and actively encourage you, when you go back!

Towards exams, if you feel that maybe you want to check if you understand things, and cover topics with someone who knows them, perhaps look around for a tutor for a few sessions.

Good luck!
Reply 16
Original post by Miracle Day
No because I have a life.

Sitting at home playing video games or going to bed at 3AM and waking up at 2PM doesn't mean you have a life.
I'm doing this with both AS maths and AS history, although when I go back to school I will take AS maths, I suppose it depends on the content to be honest, if it was a subject like biology I wouldn't recommend it but physics may not be so bad?
Reply 18
Original post by _Morsey_
I would say it is possible, but with Physics, maybe not. Physics is one of the subjects that i would say you need somebody helping you here and there, as if you do not understand one thing, you could be stuffed trying to learn other things.

I suppose it would be possible with subjects such as Geography / History / R.S. etc, as you can just learn and revise those subjects as such, however, with Physics, i would think it is too complex to study over a Summer period.

Fair enough, although I am doing an A2 in maths too would that help in any way? :smile:

I know A2 will be obviously harder, but impossible? :s-smilie: I would spend a fair ammount of time learning etc
I'd say biology would be fairly easy (well, for OCR...) but not physics. I'm planning on teaching myself the A2 biology this summer so I have less to do when I get back to school and focus on other stuff that i find harder. If you're just piling on another subject just because, it might not be worth the effort and stress, it would be easier to do it normally...

Quick Reply

Latest