The Student Room Group

Official AQA AS Chemistry Unit 1 - 23Rd May 2013

Hi Everyone,

Thought I'd create a thread for everyone to discuss about the chemistry exam this week.

Any predictions, revision tips and help can be posted here!

Good luck everyone!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm gonna have my ion this thread... :teehee:
Wooooooooooooooooooooo:smile:
Original post by The.Joker

Smart. :ahee:
Reply 4
Anyone got any good notes on bonding? Any tips on how to easily identify which kind of forces are acting upon certain elements
Reply 5

I lol'ed.
Reply 6
Anybody got any ideas on key topics to come up?
Reply 7
Thing is, I forgot about this resit, I had two maths exams last week ( stats T.T ) and biol with another maths exam this week, and I know I haven't done enough revision for it..
Original post by Manni
Anyone got any good notes on bonding? Any tips on how to easily identify which kind of forces are acting upon certain elements

It's just non-metal-non-metal bond = Covalent
Metal-non-metal = Ionic
Metal-metal = Metallic :smile:

Hydrogen bonds between H + (N,F,O) - Strongest IMF.
Permanent dipole - I think it's C-Cl bonds and stuff...
VDW - Weakest IMF.
Hmm.
Reply 9
Original post by buzzing22

This
+
Since i'm new i thought I'll contribute;
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXHv_GPXxvVD18kqY3O3yF3mJzSsts6Rl
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 10

Hahaha!!!
Reply 11
image.jpg

so I came across this question in Jan12 paper and I got a completely different answer from the markscheme on what the name of it is...
the markscheme says it's called 2,2 dichloro 3 methyl pentane....i don't understand why, anyone wanna help me?:smile:
Reply 12
Original post by buzzing22

This + Since I'm new thought I'll contribute;
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXHv_GPXxvVD18kqY3O3yF3mJzSsts6Rl
Reply 13
Original post by tumblrgirl
image.jpg

so I came across this question in Jan12 paper and I got a completely different answer from the markscheme on what the name of it is...
the markscheme says it's called 2,2 dichloro 3 methyl pentane....i don't understand why, anyone wanna help me?:smile:

Longest carbon chain is 5 so PENT
No C=C so ANE
2Chlorines on Carbon2 So 2,2 Dichloro
1 Methyl group on Carbon 3 so 3 Methyl
Add them together in alphabetical order 2,2-Dichloro-3-MethylPentane
Reply 14
image.jpg

It's pent- because the longest chain is five carbons (it's not straight it's goes 'round the corner' the CH3 group on the bottom right is carbon number 1 if you get me). The chlorines are both on the second carbon and then there is a methyl group on the third carbon.
That's actually quite complicated when you look at it, I definitely wouldn't have got that answer :L
Reply 15
ooh thanks guys, i'm so silly, i didn't realise that there were 5 carbons -_-
thanks again :biggrin:
Reply 16
If anybody has other exam questions they are stuck on, feel free to post, Would benefit yourself and everyone else
Reply 17
this sounds really stupid but how do you know which carbon you would say is carbon 1, etc?
watchin, done no revision so far, im doing c2 at the moment
Reply 19
this sounds really stupid but how do you know which carbon you would say is carbon 1, etc?

Take this for example

You would deduce which way you look at it gives you the smallest number on the carbon chain, from left to right it would be 4,4-DiChloro-3-MethylPentane. You then would look at it from the other way (right to left) and it would be 2,2-DiChloro-3-MethylPentane.
As you can see the position of the functional groups on the 2nd Haloalkane is lower than the 1st Haloalkane so that would be it.
Hope this makes sense.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest