City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website

Sheffield Hallam Accommodation Advice from a Current Student

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by jakeyboy2
Domino would be your best bet for location I believe. Cavendish is ideally located, but could get a little noisey at night. (My accommodation next year is next door to the cav)

But to be fair, I'm as far away from collegiate as you can be at central quays and my flat mate commutes there daily. (60p bus)

Thank! I applied for Cavendish and marples. I quite like the idea of it being a bit noisy because i come from a small town thats kind of boring!
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website
Reply 21
Hey, I was wondering if any of you knew which criterias they consider for the selection for the accomodations.
Reply 22
Original post by Apollinefr
Hey, I was wondering if any of you knew which criterias they consider for the selection for the accomodations.

no idea at all, seems very random.

Original post by ashleighbash
is Central Quay really that bad?

I wouldnt stay there again, but ive had a great first year and met my best friends there so i wouldnt worry
Reply 23
Original post by Apollinefr

I would've thought the maximum budget you put would play quite a part
Reply 24
Does anyone know anything about charlotte court or bramall vourt?
Reply 25
Original post by Char.Cooks
I would've thought the maximum budget you put would play quite a part

Thanks,
and would anyone know what happens if you don't get accepted in any of your two choices ?
And also, can you choose which type of room you want in the accomodation you have chosen ?
Reply 26
Hi there, I'm about to finish my first year at Hallam. I'm making this thread to offer advice on which accommodation to apply for based on my advice!

I'm staying at Central Quay at the minute, so I'll start here.

I'll base my recommendations on these criteria: - (out of ten)

1. Location
2. Individual rooms
3. Overall building/flat
4. Depressing factor

Central Quay:

1. Location
This is a nightmare here. Its the worst I've come across in Sheffield. This not only means the walk to uni is longer, wetter it means your attendance is bound to be lower. The price of nights out is also greater as walking isn't an option. 3/10

2. Individual Rooms
The rooms aren't too bad. At first I thought they were horrible, small gloomy, and I had the lovely addition of a blood stained mattress. But after a few weeks, and after seeing others rooms from different accommodation, I didn't feel as bad. The 3/4 beds make up for the lack of floor space, and storage is adequate. 6-7/10

3. Overall Building
The building is quite nice, It's cleaned daily, so any smashed vodka bottles are gone pretty soon, and even the egg on your front door is clean when your neighbours think they're funny. 7/10

4. Depressing factor,
for me, as I'm on a lower floor is around 6/10. It's always dark and miserable, but I only notice it when I'm sober.

Extra things to note:
The security here are really good. They're understanding, and most problems get sorted quickly, and they don't mind a party.
I chose here for the gym, if you're planning on doing the same, don't. Its pretty ****ty, and lacks basic equipment. Kitchens aren't too bad, pretty standard. The desk staff I have to say are substandard, they're unhelpful, and are only there to lose post and tell you to ring unite directly.

Overall, Its easy to see why this accommodation isn't full and many are put here as a clearance offer. 6/10

Opal 1:

1. Location
It doesn't get much better than Opal1 for location. Right in the middle of the city. Close to both uni's actually, and all the shops/ clubs. My best friend stays here, and he has no trouble rolling into uni hungover, as he doesn't have to climb 12 mountains to get there.(Central quays probs) 8-9/10

2.Individual rooms
I've been into two different types of rooms here, the standard ensuite single, and the double. The double rooms are massive. I think its a couple of pounds extra, and its a must if applying here. The single rooms are big, a lot bigger than mine, but it does only have a single bed. 7-8/10

3. Overall building
I can't really comment on the building's cleanliness, but it does seem very clean when I've just been walking around it. Although, one messy night I did see a fox in the early hours in there (or did I? #vodka) 6-7/10

4. Depressing Factor
Has to be low here, middle of the city, great parties, great people we are looking at 3/10. The front rooms are a bit small, especially for a big pre drinks, but they come with a TV as standard which is never bad.

Extra things to note
If I was to apply again, here would be number 1 or 2!

Victoria Halls:
The favourite every year.

1. Location
9/10, doesn't get much better than this. Central to everything you could ever need, but not too loud.

2. Individual Rooms
These come in different shapes and sizes. Overall, not worth the hype, but can afford to be average in its location.

3.Overall Building
Looks nice, is well known and doesn't have the annoying only one main entrance.

4. Depressing Factor
It's low here, I'd say around 4/10. Its in a good place, lots of girls, lots of 24 hour shops around. What more could you want?

Extra things to note
As mentioned before, always busy, no idea why, maybe its girl boy ratio. worth applying too, but not the best in the city, so dont worry if you dont get in!

I shall update this tread later on!

Dude if uve finished your first year grab some mates and get a house!

More comfort, possibly cheaper, better internet :smile:
Reply 27
Anyone know anything about the pinnacles - recommended/ good location? Shops/clubs/ campus nearby? Thanks :smile:

Opal 1:

1. Location
It doesn't get much better than Opal1 for location. Right in the middle of the city. Close to both uni's actually, and all the shops/ clubs. My best friend stays here, and he has no trouble rolling into uni hungover, as he doesn't have to climb 12 mountains to get there.(Central quays probs) 8-9/10

2.Individual rooms
I've been into two different types of rooms here, the standard ensuite single, and the double. The double rooms are massive. I think its a couple of pounds extra, and its a must if applying here. The single rooms are big, a lot bigger than mine, but it does only have a single bed. 7-8/10

3. Overall building
I can't really comment on the building's cleanliness, but it does seem very clean when I've just been walking around it. Although, one messy night I did see a fox in the early hours in there (or did I? #vodka) 6-7/10

4. Depressing Factor
Has to be low here, middle of the city, great parties, great people we are looking at 3/10. The front rooms are a bit small, especially for a big pre drinks, but they come with a TV as standard which is never bad.

Extra things to note
If I was to apply again, here would be number 1 or 2!

I have to second what you've said about Opal 1, it's definitely one of the best places for accommodation which i've seen and i'd definitely recommend to everyone! A slight problem with location is that it's incredibly close to Corp, which of course, is brilliant if you're going to Corp! However, if you're not going to Corp, with the main night being on Wednesday night, and need an early-ish night for whatever reason (early start on Thursday/placement) you're going to need earplugs!! I've found this out the hard way as I have placement on Thursdays, but have to say that earplugs do work wonderfully!!
Also, as I have lived in Archways, and I'd noticed there was nothing about it, thought i'd contribute incase it helps :smile:

1. Location
2. Individual rooms
3. Overall building/flat
4. Depressing factor

Archways:

1. Location
In terms of location for city campus, Archways could not be better! It's practically on the campus, which means you're able to wake up very last minute for lectures/seminars, and still get in on time! It's also incredibly near the train station, maybe like a 2/3 minute walk, which is useful for getting about places! If you're on collegiate campus, it's not as easy although it's very near the bus stop which goes to collegiate, but if you are on collegiate, you're better off applying for accommodation nearer collegiate! It's very near Sainsburys local, which is useful if you've run out of necessities as you can just pop to the shop! It's also possible to do your weekly shop there if you want to live on ready meals, soup and pasta, which you're likely to do anyway! It's also directly opposite Leadmill, which is brilliant if you're going to Leadmill, but if you're not the noise can be quite annoying if you're trying to sleep! Earplugs are definitely recommended for all halls, but they're probably a necessity for Archways! :smile:
8/10

2. Individual Rooms
The rooms are quite nice really :smile: they're simple, average size, but can't complain too much! The curtains aren't blackout or anything, so the second the sun comes up, you're woken up! But just hide under your duvet or get a sleep mask, and you should be okay :smile: each room has a heater which is useful, and mine was quite crappy! But I know people who had good heaters, so I suppose you just have to be lucky! Pretty sure there aren't any double bed rooms, but if you want a single bed, then it's fine really! Also depending on the layout of your room, it's possible to sit on your bed and still use your laptop on the internet, even with the internet cable plugged in, which is always useful :smile:
6 or 7/10 (depending on your room layout!)

3. Overall Building
The building is quite nice :smile: it's a bit of a muddle to get in though! You have to go in through the A block (main doors) up to the first floor, and if you're on the A block, then just up to your flat! The A block has a lift, which is useful for moving in/out, carrying suitcases and just being lazy and everything! If you're in one of the other blocks, then you go out from the first floor into the courtyard, and then over to your own block, which unfortunately don't have a lift, but it's not the end of the world! The courtyard is also quite nice, and has a social area in the middle! Can't really see anyone using it, but it's always a nice idea!

4. Depressing factor
The noise can sometimes be a problem, and being woken up at 7am by the sun coming up, but that's just one of those things that you'll learn to live with wherever you are! My shower and heater were pretty crappy :frown: but then my friend said that hers weren't too bad, so it's just about luck really!

Extra things to note:
Archways seems very popular with international students, mature students and post graduate students! They also offer short term contracts, although people on short term contracts tend to live in the same flat, but it's always possible to have people coming and going!
It's also in the same area as Leadmill Point, which is another accommodation halls, and you use the same entrance so it's quite sociable if you're friends with people living there! :smile:

Hope that helps anyone xx
Reply 30
Original post by TanyaZoexx
Also, as I have lived in Archways, and I'd noticed there was nothing about it, thought i'd contribute incase it helps :smile:

1. Location
2. Individual rooms
3. Overall building/flat
4. Depressing factor

Archways:

1. Location
In terms of location for city campus, Archways could not be better! It's practically on the campus, which means you're able to wake up very last minute for lectures/seminars, and still get in on time! It's also incredibly near the train station, maybe like a 2/3 minute walk, which is useful for getting about places! If you're on collegiate campus, it's not as easy although it's very near the bus stop which goes to collegiate, but if you are on collegiate, you're better off applying for accommodation nearer collegiate! It's very near Sainsburys local, which is useful if you've run out of necessities as you can just pop to the shop! It's also possible to do your weekly shop there if you want to live on ready meals, soup and pasta, which you're likely to do anyway! It's also directly opposite Leadmill, which is brilliant if you're going to Leadmill, but if you're not the noise can be quite annoying if you're trying to sleep! Earplugs are definitely recommended for all halls, but they're probably a necessity for Archways! :smile:
8/10

2. Individual Rooms
The rooms are quite nice really :smile: they're simple, average size, but can't complain too much! The curtains aren't blackout or anything, so the second the sun comes up, you're woken up! But just hide under your duvet or get a sleep mask, and you should be okay :smile: each room has a heater which is useful, and mine was quite crappy! But I know people who had good heaters, so I suppose you just have to be lucky! Pretty sure there aren't any double bed rooms, but if you want a single bed, then it's fine really! Also depending on the layout of your room, it's possible to sit on your bed and still use your laptop on the internet, even with the internet cable plugged in, which is always useful :smile:
6 or 7/10 (depending on your room layout!)

3. Overall Building
The building is quite nice :smile: it's a bit of a muddle to get in though! You have to go in through the A block (main doors) up to the first floor, and if you're on the A block, then just up to your flat! The A block has a lift, which is useful for moving in/out, carrying suitcases and just being lazy and everything! If you're in one of the other blocks, then you go out from the first floor into the courtyard, and then over to your own block, which unfortunately don't have a lift, but it's not the end of the world! The courtyard is also quite nice, and has a social area in the middle! Can't really see anyone using it, but it's always a nice idea!

4. Depressing factor
The noise can sometimes be a problem, and being woken up at 7am by the sun coming up, but that's just one of those things that you'll learn to live with wherever you are! My shower and heater were pretty crappy :frown: but then my friend said that hers weren't too bad, so it's just about luck really!

Extra things to note:
Archways seems very popular with international students, mature students and post graduate students! They also offer short term contracts, although people on short term contracts tend to live in the same flat, but it's always possible to have people coming and going!
It's also in the same area as Leadmill Point, which is another accommodation halls, and you use the same entrance so it's quite sociable if you're friends with people living there! :smile:

Hope that helps anyone xx

thanks a lot, ill update the op!
What about Devonshire Courtyard?
Reply 32
I've applied to Cavendish and Victoria Hall, just wondering when around what time will you find out whether you've been accepted or denied?
Reply 33
Original post by TashaW
I've applied to Cavendish and Victoria Hall, just wondering when around what time will you find out whether you've been accepted or denied?

With me, it was a week before freshers started that I found out because I applied post results day. However, friends who applied from christmas onwards weren't finding out that much sooner than me. Don't be surprised if its mid/late summer.

P.S. If you get into to cavendish we'll be neighbours!
Reply 34
Original post by CalumHowell
What about Devonshire Courtyard?

I've got a course mate who stayed there this year, I'll ask her for her opinion and get it added for you asap!
Reply 35
Original post by TashaW

Is Cavendish your first choice? I put it as my first choice.What course are you doing?
Reply 36
Okay, I'm leaving uni this summer but here's a rundown on places I have lived in or places I've stayed in. I hope this helps!!

Liberty Works

1. Location
It's on Matilda Street which is near a Sainsbury's Local, just down from The Moor and it takes about 5 minutes to get to university. Oh and Plug and Leadmill is just down the road, so no need for a taxi home :wink:

2. Individual rooms
My room was nice. Pretty large, had it's own sink and a 3/4 bed. Good desk space but I had some weird box in my wardrobe which meant I had less storage space than the other people I lived with. One nice touch was the under-bed storage.

3. Overall building/flat
The building was lovely. People came and cleaned our bathrooms, so while we had to share it meant you didn't have to clean up other peoples ****. I was on the ground floor which has it's pro's and con's. Pro's being that I didn't have to carry all my stuff up loads of stairs when I moved in and out. Con being that you get drunk idiots banging on your window when they're coming home from a night out.

4. Depressing factor
Listening to the lady have sex REALLY loud with the window open in the summer. Noise like that echoes around a courtyard.

Overall I'd give there a 7/10

Norfolk Park Student Village

1. Location
It might be a little further out of town (like a 5 minute walk to the train station), it is no further out of town than eccy road or other student areas. It's situated right next to Norfolk Park which is nice as I'm a runner, but in the summer it means you can have a picnic and I always see lads up there playing football.

2. Individual rooms
The rooms at PSV are nice. I think there are two types on site, one that has a sink and one that doesn't. Mine didn't but my room was pretty much the same size. I had loads of space and again I had a 3/4 bed. Thankfully I didn't have to share my wardrobe with some weird box this time either.

3. Overall building/flat
The buildings on site are really nice. There's a large kitchen/dining/lounge area with a flat screen TV mounted on a wall. They also supply the TV licence for that! There are two bathrooms and the maintenance team here are good. They replace the light bulbs, fix any problems with heating. Our fridge broke and they came and replaced it straight away!! They have a common room here that is going to be refurbished by September too.

4. Depressing factor
It's a bugger if you forget your keys as you have to be asked to be let in but at least you don't get charged for it.

Overall I would give this place 8/10. Security staff are helpful. The gated accommodation means that the site feels safe. Taxi's don't cost a lot as it's not far at all from town. You're near a beautiful park and the rent includes lots of added extra's that you don't get from other halls or second/third year housing that I have seen.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 37
Original post by 1992lottie
Okay, I'm leaving uni this summer but here's a rundown on places I have lived in or places I've stayed in. I hope this helps!!

Liberty Works

1. Location
It's on Matilda Street which is near a Sainsbury's Local, just down from The Moor and it takes about 5 minutes to get to university. Oh and Plug and Leadmill is just down the road, so no need for a taxi home :wink:

2. Individual rooms
My room was nice. Pretty large, had it's own sink and a 3/4 bed. Good desk space but I had some weird box in my wardrobe which meant I had less storage space than the other people I lived with. One nice touch was the under-bed storage.

3. Overall building/flat
The building was lovely. People came and cleaned our bathrooms, so while we had to share it meant you didn't have to clean up other peoples sh*t. I was on the ground floor which has it's pro's and con's. Pro's being that I didn't have to carry all my stuff up loads of stairs when I moved in and out. Con being that you get drunk idiots banging on your window when they're coming home from a night out.

4. Depressing factor
Listening to the lady have sex REALLY loud with the window open in the summer. Noise like that echoes around a courtyard.

Overall I'd give there a 7/10

Norfolk Park Student Village

1. Location
It might be a little further out of town (like a 5 minute walk to the train station), it is no further out of town than eccy road or other student areas. It's situated right next to Norfolk Park which is nice as I'm a runner, but in the summer it means you can have a picnic and I always see lads up there playing football.

2. Individual rooms
The rooms at PSV are nice. I think there are two types on site, one that has a sink and one that doesn't. Mine didn't but my room was pretty much the same size. I had loads of space and again I had a 3/4 bed. Thankfully I didn't have to share my wardrobe with some weird box this time either.

3. Overall building/flat
The buildings on site are really nice. There's a large kitchen/dining/lounge area with a flat screen TV mounted on a wall. They also supply the TV licence for that! There are two bathrooms and the maintenance team here are good. They replace the light bulbs, fix any problems with heating. Our fridge broke and they came and replaced it straight away!! They have a common room here that is going to be refurbished by September too.

4. Depressing factor
It's a bugger if you forget your keys as you have to be asked to be let in but at least you don't get charged for it.

Overall I would give this place 8/10. Security staff are helpful. The gated accommodation means that the site feels safe. Taxi's don't cost a lot as it's not far at all from town. You're near a beautiful park and the rent includes lots of added extra's that you don't get from other halls or second/third year housing that I have seen.

Thank you! I'll update the OP!
Reply 38
Original post by Char.Cooks
Is Cavendish your first choice? I put it as my first choice.What course are you doing?

Victoria Halls is my first, I'm doing Human Geography, which course are you doing?
Reply 39
With me, it was a week before freshers started that I found out because I applied post results day. However, friends who applied from christmas onwards weren't finding out that much sooner than me. Don't be surprised if its mid/late summer.

P.S. If you get into to cavendish we'll be neighbours!

Thanks! So it's a long wait ahead.

Quick Reply