The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hollywoodbudgie
After doing some more research, I ended up making this list for biomedical sciences:

Spoiler

At the end of the day, league tables are very subjective, and I'm personally quite against them.

You should make your own 'league table' because the ones you find on the net compare a lot of things that may not be very important for you, for instance, the grades the people need to go to the university often has an equal weighting as the research quality of the university in these league tables.

Edinburgh, Manchester & Bristol are very good UK universities, so I realised there must have been something wrong with the first list before. Then again, I'm not sure they deserve to be as high as they are in this list.

Uni of Lausanne, from Switzerland is a good university, but there are many better universities at Switzerland for our course.
I don't have clue about Bonn (Germany) and the Uni of Geneva though. :tongue:

I agree with what you said about your own league tables, however Bristol, leads and ediburgh don't do biomed sci degrees directly, so I would drop them far lower in this list at best. Nice to see the high ranking EU unis tho.

ANDDD WHERE IS NEWCASTLE AND DURHAM RAWRRR!!! :colone:
Reply 81
Hi to everyone here!!
i want some honest advice from all you wonderful people

Im on an access course expected high grades (Level 3 Units)
and i have applied for biomedical science in the following univerSitys on the 16/12/10
was i late? my ucas has been
processed and i have recieve tWo acknowledgment letters from hert (30.12.10) and roehamton(4.1.11) UNIS..
the five unis i applied for are...

1) hertfordshire
2) London Met
3) Kingston
4) Middlesex
6) Roehampton

(all registered with IBMS) for more benifits of employment post grad
thou i chosen biomedical science for an entry into medicine in the first place
it is just a nice feeeling having IBMS as my insaurance should i need to UTILIZE my bachelor degree
i dont know where i will be in 3 years..will i be able to apply for med? atleaset i am guaranted a job after 3yrs...(its my backup)

i have not recieved any offers yet..still waiting for my ucas confirmation letter too
I just find out all my chosen unis are all ex-polys...hmm

BUT WHICH UNIVERSITY IS BETTER according to YOUR KNOWLEDGE OR EXPERIENCE?
I HAVE LOOKED AT THE LEAGUE TABLE FOR THE BIOSCIENCES COURSES
AND MIDDLESEX SEEMS TO BE ABOVE/BETTER THAN MY OTHER CHOSEN UNI'S
PLUS WITH ALL THE COMPETITION GOING ON
I THOUGHT I'D RATHER GET 5 OR 4 accepetance than 5 OR 4 rejections
HENCE I CHOSE NOT to apply for THE BEST UNIS IN (london only)...
(I DONT WANT TO take the RISK OF HIGH UNI FEES COMING UP)
IN TERMS OF RESPECT WHICH UNI IS GOOD?
THE TRUTH IS I DONT WANT TO APPLY TO A UNI IN WHICH PEOPLE
LOOK DOWN ON...
I WANT TO BE ABLE TO TELL PEOPLE OF MY CHOSEN UNI AND NOT FEEL SHY ABOUT IT ...IF YOU UNDERSTAND MY POINT...

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP
MUCH LOVE...!
Original post by beansonfish
I agree with what you said about your own league tables, however Bristol, leads and ediburgh don't do biomed sci degrees directly, so I would drop them far lower in this list at best. Nice to see the high ranking EU unis tho.

The list wasn't meant to be solely for biomed (I just realised that it has a misleading title), it's also for postgraduate stuff as well.

ANDDD WHERE IS NEWCASTLE AND DURHAM RAWRRR!!! :colone:

:angelblush: Whoops.
Reply 83
1. Name - Nicki

2. Uni - Not there yet.. Manchester hopefully but have also applied to KCL, Edinburgh, Sheffield and Leeds

3. Course - Biomedical Science (Medical Science at Edin and Leeds)

4.Plans for the future after your degree - Where ever life takes me really.. I don't fancy a lab job (I'm very much a people person). Wouldn't mind going into the business end of health if I can.. Drugs companies or something? Or just use it as a platform for a job that looks good where a degree is required. I guess I'll just see what happens when I get there...

5. A level Grades - Just predicted atm.. A Biology, A Chemistry and A Maths ..fun fun fun :/
Reply 84
:hello:

I have a deferred place for 2011 :smile:

Name: Aimee

Uni: Manchester

Course: Biomedical Sciences

Plans for the future after your degree: Dentistry hopefully

A level Grades: A (psychology), B (philosophy & ethics), B (biology), B (critical thinking), c (chemistry AS)
1. Name bob :p:

2. Uni Essex uni

3. Course Biomedical Science

4.Plans for the future after your degree something, maybe medicine maybe a masters, maybe a job in a bank or a ethical thing

5. A level Grades CCC Biology, history, government & politics
Original post by kingpinz
Hi to everyone here!!
i want some honest advice from all you wonderful people

Im on an access course expected high grades (Level 3 Units)
and i have applied for biomedical science in the following univerSitys on the 16/12/10
was i late? my ucas has been
processed and i have recieve tWo acknowledgment letters from hert (30.12.10) and roehamton(4.1.11) UNIS..
the five unis i applied for are...

1) hertfordshire
2) London Met
3) Kingston
4) Middlesex
6) Roehampton

(all registered with IBMS) for more benifits of employment post grad
thou i chosen biomedical science for an entry into medicine in the first place
it is just a nice feeeling having IBMS as my insaurance should i need to UTILIZE my bachelor degree
i dont know where i will be in 3 years..will i be able to apply for med? atleaset i am guaranted a job after 3yrs...(its my backup)

i have not recieved any offers yet..still waiting for my ucas confirmation letter too
I just find out all my chosen unis are all ex-polys...hmm

BUT WHICH UNIVERSITY IS BETTER according to YOUR KNOWLEDGE OR EXPERIENCE?
I HAVE LOOKED AT THE LEAGUE TABLE FOR THE BIOSCIENCES COURSES
AND MIDDLESEX SEEMS TO BE ABOVE/BETTER THAN MY OTHER CHOSEN UNI'S
PLUS WITH ALL THE COMPETITION GOING ON
I THOUGHT I'D RATHER GET 5 OR 4 accepetance than 5 OR 4 rejections
HENCE I CHOSE NOT to apply for THE BEST UNIS IN (london only)...
(I DONT WANT TO take the RISK OF HIGH UNI FEES COMING UP)
IN TERMS OF RESPECT WHICH UNI IS GOOD?
THE TRUTH IS I DONT WANT TO APPLY TO A UNI IN WHICH PEOPLE
LOOK DOWN ON...
I WANT TO BE ABLE TO TELL PEOPLE OF MY CHOSEN UNI AND NOT FEEL SHY ABOUT IT ...IF YOU UNDERSTAND MY POINT...

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP
MUCH LOVE...!

you can't say what med schools are going to want come 3 4 years time, but currently they don't care what uni you have come from some don't care about your A-levels and GCSE others do a few want a 2.2, most want a 2.1 and 1 or 2 want a 1st, very little places do, its only really IB and law that care, oh and off course tsr :p:

really you should pick the uni that suits you, looking at a course with stuff you like
Original post by Wailinza

Mind you, I've not had any offers yet but only applied just before the festive period. I've heard SGUL are not making any offers till after the 15th deadline anyway . . . . just have to wait!

That's what I thought! when I got the offer, I honestly thought it was a mistake...!
Anyone else think there should be a biomedical science or life science subforum on here? Its a pretty huge subject, as with the high percentage of students studying biomedical science secondary/in preparation of medical school, I think a subforum would be very beneficial, not to mention tidier!!
What do you guys think?
Reply 89
Original post by Jack7Richards
Anyone else think there should be a biomedical science or life science subforum on here? Its a pretty huge subject, as with the high percentage of students studying biomedical science secondary/in preparation of medical school, I think a subforum would be very beneficial, not to mention tidier!!
What do you guys think?

As we already have the application forum and the discussion forum, but I for one would like to see one that talks about the contents of the course itself. I'm obviously applying and will be preparing for the Sep/Oct start so would be keen to know if there is anything that I should read up on? I read somewhere that just learning some basic anatomy would be useful . . .for example . . .

I'd also be interested in peeking to see what topics and areas existing students are talking about too

Thats what I think - others?
Original post by Wailinza
As we already have the application forum and the discussion forum, but I for one would like to see one that talks about the contents of the course itself. I'm obviously applying and will be preparing for the Sep/Oct start so would be keen to know if there is anything that I should read up on? I read somewhere that just learning some basic anatomy would be useful . . .for example . . .

I'd also be interested in peeking to see what topics and areas existing students are talking about too

Thats what I think - others?

If you want to do some prep over the summer the best things to look at would be:
Human anatomy (neurones and nerve impulses, cardiology, respiration, GI tract)
Cellular biology - mainly DNA expression and things like southern blot.
Microbiology - aseptic technique!!!!!
Immunology - innate and adaptive immunity
Biochemistry - metabolism pathways of carbs fats and protein. Acetyl CoA!!!!

Thats just what i can tell you from my experience of my first year at uni.
A look over those subjects and during your first term you wont feel so traumatised by the new things you will learn.
Reply 91
Original post by robinson999
you can't say what med schools are going to want come 3 4 years time, but currently they don't care what uni you have come from some don't care about your A-levels and GCSE others do a few want a 2.2, most want a 2.1 and 1 or 2 want a 1st, very little places do, its only really IB and law that care, oh and off course tsr :p:

really you should pick the uni that suits you, looking at a course with stuff you like

which university's from my chosen list would you pick ? and why ?
thanx agian!!! :smile:
which university's from my chosen list would you pick ? and why ?
thanx agian!!! :smile:

1) hertfordshire
2) London Met
3) Kingston
4) Middlesex
6) Roehampton

i dunno i can't say which one is better for you without you going to the open days, i looked at both hertforddhsire and kingston and didn't like them at all, while others love them

i don't know what the courses are like and what they cover, and what you like, one uni could be more chem another could be more life systems

open days are a good tell if you like the uni
Reply 93
Thnx rob

anyone else like to add their preferance???
Like or dislike??
Reply 94
Thnx rob

Like or dislike??

You could really do with having a look around at the uni's you fancy and getting a feel for the place. What suits other people might not necessarily do it for you and 3 years can seem like a long time if you hate the place. Maybe have a look at the course structure/content as well.
Good luck with your decision

Oh wow, you're a biomed student at Durham :biggrin:

tell me more, i might firm it!!x
Reply 96
Thnx rob

Like or dislike??

Out of that list Hertfordshire is the strongest one, it's improvement in the league tables in recent years makes it one of the better polytechnics. League tables aren't all and it is your choice but Hertfordshire would be my pick, wouldn't pick London Met though, seems to have an awful reputation.
Reply 97
Original post by Barça
Out of that list Hertfordshire is the strongest one, it's improvement in the league tables in recent years makes it one of the better polytechnics. League tables aren't all and it is your choice but Hertfordshire would be my pick, wouldn't pick London Met though, seems to have an awful reputation.

yes i believe you may well be right...

i am getting this same response
Hertofordshire No 1
but how about 2nd??
third?? and 4th?
thanx every one !!:colondollar:
yes i believe you may well be right...

i am getting this same response
Hertofordshire No 1
but how about 2nd??
third?? and 4th?
thanx every one !!:colondollar:

1) Hertfordshire
2) Kingston
3) Middlesex
4) London Met
5) Roehampton
Reply 99
Original post by Sprockette
1. Name Catherine

2. Uni Glasgow Caledonian

3. Course Nutrition/Life Science, then Biomedical top-up (1 year, 3 modules)

4.Plans for the future after your degree Well, the plan was to get a trainee job after getting IBMS registered, but that plan has basically been scuppered now... So I'm applying for the occasional trainee Biomedical scientist job in the NHS and other than that, MLA or Biomedical support workers jobs in the NHS to get experience and because I'm getting desperate. I'm also looking at research and industry jobs but they usually ask for experience. Some don't though. I have to improve my CV before applying for many more as I don't think it's great, I've never even been called for an interview and I have applied for a depressing amount of jobs that I am well qualified for.

In an ideal world I would like to get into a trainee biomedical job and become HPC registered, work my way up and maybe do a masters later, become senior or lab head/manager. Another option might be applying for a trainee clinical scientist position, I'd love that! Without trying to put myself down too much though, there is a lot of competition for those jobs and I'm only a good average at best. I'm not sure if I want to get into research or industry permanently as I have the idea that they only seem to offer temporary/fixed term contracts and a mortgage will be hard enough to get without telling my bank that I have a job that will last 2-3 years and then I'll have to apply for another one.

5. A level Grades Chem - B, Biology - B, Maths - C, French - C, English - C

Omg, I'm going there to do biomed!!! :woo: It is good content wise?

Name - LuhLah :awesome:
Uni(s) - UWS/Caley (currently one of those annoying prospective students who ask obvious questions)
Course - Biomed...
Plans for the future - Hopefully land a NHS job in the microbiology bit.
A level grades - Lets not go there :colondollar:

I'm currently going a course that's modelled to a first year in a biomed degree, so we've covered loads of things like lab techniques, microbiology theory and labs (still working on my aseptic technique, lol), biochem, physiology (our module really goes in depth. The nervous system </3), DNA, genetics, cellular structure and physiology, biostats, fundamental chem, immunology, histology... can't wait to do it all at uni :biggrin:

I was thinking about doing medicine after it, but the idea of having to do another whole degree after 4/5 years of hard work would be tedious... not to mention expensive. Plus, I think at that point it's time to put the books down and start contributing! :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)