The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Is anyone else disappointed by declining standards in spoken English in Britain?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Foo.mp3
It's bad enough hardly hearing an English word on a trip through parts of your home city (London), or, when you do hear it, it's spoken in "this language which is wholly false, which is this jamaican patois that's been intruded in England. This is why so many of us have this sense of literally a foreign country" (Starkey, 2011). Hearing it start to 'intrude' on the BBC is, for me, still more disquieting..

Here is a letter of complaint I've just sent to them:

Having once been a bastion for proper English it seems that the BBC is now so keen to demonstrate diversity that it actually risks contributing to the decline in standards in spoken English in the 21st century.

Does anyone else agree that this sort of thing is a shame/concerning, or is this fundamentally unimportant in modern Britain?

(would be handy to state your own standard of English/cultural background in posting, for context e.g. my spoken English is decent and I'm from a white, middle class/suburban North London background)

I'm sure Chaucer would have wept at the language of Shakespeare's language too. Likewise he would decry the way the BBC radio presenters of the 1930/40s would speak.

The point is, language changes over time. The way people cry over the decline of our langauge is one of my pet hates. If you look at language over time, you see it changes constantly. In the past, words were pronounced in a completely different way to the steriotypical BBC accent you speak of. A 'Great Vowel Shift' took place in the Medieval period, changing the way we speak completely.

Many people, including yourself, speak as if there has been a pinnacle of our langauge. In truth, there hasn't. It hasn't. From the invasion of the Vikings and before it has been changing.

You want to know my background? Degree educated, white middle class, privately educated. Not that it means anything.
Bun all the haters, real talk! Inshallah the mandem buss slugs at you wasteman kmrct!
Reply 42
You must embrace the vibrancy of words such as "wastegash" OP! :fuhrer:

The English language is just a social construct, who are you to decide what are generally accepted terms and what is mad cool urban speak, yah? Really we should all try and be more like our inna city brethren. So many benefits! Dench! :s-smilie:
Original post by Foo.mp3
Allow me to refer you to my above comments to Ms.Bellissima..

Know what I'm sayin'? :eek:

HaHaHa, no obviously not. But I don't think the BBC would do that anyway. They are very much the ultimate in the stereotype of Britishness and in the past I think it has taken them a lot to move with the times. Until the very last person speaks in such a way full time, the BBC shall not do so also. We are still safe from colloquilisms on our main station.
Reply 44
Original post by xXxiKillxXx
Bun all the haters, real talk! Inshallah the mandem buss slugs at you wasteman kmrct!

The eloquence, the imagery that such poetic language conjures up. It's just beautiful.

I have a dream that one day Trevor Macdonald will address the audience as mandem and threaten to shoot them.
Original post by Bonged.
The eloquence, the imagery that such poetic language conjures up. It's just beautiful.

I have a dream that one day Trevor Macdonald will address the audience as mandem and threaten to shoot them.

I'm surprised you understood!
Reply 46
Original post by Foo.mp3
It's bad enough hardly hearing an English word on a trip through parts of your home city (London), or, when you do hear it, it's spoken in "this language which is wholly false, which is this jamaican patois that's been intruded in England. This is why so many of us have this sense of literally a foreign country" (Starkey, 2011). Hearing it start to 'intrude' on the BBC is, for me, still more disquieting..

Having once been a bastion for proper English it seems that the BBC is now so keen to demonstrate diversity that it actually risks contributing to the decline in standards in spoken English in the 21st century.

I was watching the BBC Weekend News, the national news mind, and was disappointed to hear the reporter, Naomi Grimley, pronouncing several words as one might expect a slang-speaking South London schoolgirl to:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-17720269

The words: “Independent” and “effect” end in a ‘T’, “Labour” is not pronounced ‘LAYBA’, and “ever” is not pronounced ‘EVA’.

This sort of thing is not congruent with the rich and exemplary tradition of the BBC in this domain, and I think that (news) program producers need to take a view on this. Positive discrimination/equal opportunity are all well and good, but the number one priority must surely be high standards and a high quality of service?

Does anyone else agree that this sort of thing is a shame/concerning, or is this fundamentally unimportant in modern Britain?

Where do we draw the line between comedy RP newsreader accents of the early 20th century and having people who wouldn't sound out of place in Kidulthood reading the news?

(would be handy to state your own standard of English/cultural background in posting, for context e.g. my spoken English is decent and I'm from a white, middle class/suburban North London background)

Oh dear Foo.....what have you done?

FYI - the standards of language being used/spoken on air/for a formal presentation are TOTALLY DIFFERENT from the standard of language that should be used in general life.....they are two different issues.

There is no such thing as a "declining standard" of English - as English (or any other language) has always been adapted to whatever dialect the individual is from. "Standard English" is itself a dialect, which as I have pointed out before, has changed DRASTICALLY over the centuries, and will continue to change (Really, read Chaucer) It has always been influenced by outside countries, which before were primarily Europe, but as we become globalised, these influences can and will come more and more from outside sources.

To imply that one dialect, simply because it is "standard" is somehow "better" than another dialect, is extremely misguided. One dialect, whether from Liverpool, Cornwall, or Jamaica is not "better" than another.

If you were to say "the declining standard of English spoken by on air presenters" then that would be a totally different story
:rofl:
Reply 48
Original post by QI Elf
I'm sure Chaucer would have wept at the language of Shakespeare's language too. Likewise he would decry the way the BBC radio presenters of the 1930/40s would speak.

The point is, language changes over time. The way people cry over the decline of our langauge is one of my pet hates. If you look at language over time, you see it changes constantly. In the past, words were pronounced in a completely different way to the steriotypical BBC accent you speak of. A 'Great Vowel Shift' took place in the Medieval period, changing the way we speak completely.

Many people, including yourself, speak as if there has been a pinnacle of our langauge. In truth, there hasn't. It hasn't. From the invasion of the Vikings and before it has been changing.

You want to know my background? Degree educated, white middle class, privately educated. Not that it means anything.

I was going to bring up Chaucer, but it appears as though you have mentioned him, as well as eloquently putting my thoughts into words
Reply 49
Original post by Foo.mp3

I was watching the BBC Weekend News, the national news mind, and was disappointed to hear the reporter, Naomi Grimley, pronouncing several words as one might expect a slang-speaking South London schoolgirl to:

The words: “Independent” and “effect” end in a ‘T’, “Labour” is not pronounced ‘LAYBA’, and “ever” is not pronounced ‘EVA’.

This sort of thing is not congruent with the rich and exemplary tradition of the BBC in this domain, and I think that (news) program producers need to take a view on this. Positive discrimination/equal opportunity are all well and good, but the number one priority must surely be high standards and a high quality of service?

Where do we draw the line between comedy RP newsreader accents of the early 20th century and having people who wouldn't sound out of place in Kidulthood reading the news?

FWIW,
Spoken and written English exceptional (although I admit my vocabulary has degenerated since my reading slowed ever since I started my undergrad degree)
Black, middle class background from the Caribbean
Reply 50
I'm surprised you understood!

I grew up in tha inna city. I'm familiar with americanised gangster talk. It's just such a shame that it has such a connection with crime and stupidity in the minds of most people. I wonder why this could possibly be? Islamophobia? :biggrin:
I find it more annoying that people's vocabularies are shrinking than the fact that they speak in slang. For example, only today I said vivisection in a conversation, and no one knew what I meant. Some of them take biology!

Slang doesn't bother me much though. Nor do accents.
Original post by Foo.mp3

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Unfolding-Language-Evolution-Mankind%60s/dp/0099460254/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1334591560&sr=8-3

^^Read!
Reply 53
Changes in language are natural and too be expected. Standard are not 'declining' but evolving. Everything evolves, including languages and culture.

As long as the point can be communicated, language serves it purpose.

What did you think happenned before the dictionary was written? They was no official 'right' way of spelling something, so people spelt it how they wanted to and how it would best reflect the crux of what they were saying. Some of the most wonderful, beautiful poetry is written in what you would call 'shamefull' language... (Chaucer and Shakespeare have already been mentioned). However as I suspect you are a disgruntled, pretentious adolescent with nothing better to do, I would suggest you pull yourself together and get over it- you're not fighting for the cause, there is no cause and you're being narrow minded and pathetic.

I am a white, working class, state school-educated female.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 54
Original post by stac4321
Changes in language are natural and too be expected. Standard are not 'declining' but evolving. Everything evolves, including languages and culture.

As long as the point can be communicated, language serves it purpose.

What did you think happenned before the dictionary was written? They was no official 'right' way of spelling something, so people spelt it how they wanted to and how it would best reflect the crux of what they were saying. Some of the most wonderful, beautiful poetry is written in what you would call 'shamefull' language... However as I suspect you are a disgruntled, pretentious adolescent with nothing better to do, I would suggest you pull yourself together and get over it- you're not fighting for the cause, there is no cause and you're being narrow minded and pathetic.

haha awesome. I want to see some beautiful poetry containing the words wastegash and mandem and bustin' sticks. Could I see some?
Original post by Foo.mp3
Once again, my contention is not necessarily with ease of comprehension..

Wud yoo be happy den if dey went da whole hog an started talkin like dis on da BBC?

It's in entirely the same vein, and still perfectly discernible, but I would ****ing hope not :s-smilie:

i don't think that's very easy to understand though... i think that's extreme.
Reply 56
Original post by Bellissima
i don't think that's very easy to understand though... i think that's extreme.

datz wot it soundz lahk doe.
Reply 57
Original post by Foo.mp3
Quite possibly

For the upteenth time this issue does not merely concern speech that is not easily understood

Quote me where I've asserted that?

Yet another person seeking to ridicule/misrepresent the OP rather than deal with the bread and butter of the thread :rolleyes:

You do yourself, and those who have invested in your education, a disservice by demonstrating poor quality argumentation by deviating as per the above

This is what we'll end up with if language continues to 'evolve' (read: revolve) at its present rate, Insha'Allah :s-smilie:

Precisely what I thought, until things like Rastamouse and now News reports like this came along. I'm afraid that using shortened endings to words like dropping 'T' sounds and changing 'er' sounds to 'a' sounds is just one step down the slippery slope to people talking precisely in the manner that I indicated in that passage:

Wud yoo be happy den if dey went da whole hog an started talkin like dis on da BBC?

Pretty much the only time you ever see the name Chaucer pop up on here: pseudo-intellectual cites for effect :redface:

Again tangential, no-one is arguing that dialects don't evolve over time..

The merits are relative to the setting. For example, I think the scouse dialect suits comedy well, or Jamaican suits more laid back ting an ting, Scottish suits urgent, instructive language, and so on..

My contention primarily concerns BBC News and settings in which proper English would be most welcome e.g. formal situations/day to day speech between strangers, and particularly young people talking to older people or those in positions of authority. The winder issue is not so much a dialect one as making a decent effort - most of us are capable of pronouncing things properly with little effort, whevever we're from :smile:

It's indicative of wider, malevolent trends of slackening, as per the above

You should, as I said earlier, phrase you issue differently.

As I said, the general declining trends of the use of "standard" English AMONG THE GENERAL POPULATION

and the general declining trends of the use of "standard" english IN THE MEDIA

are two totally different and separate topics. While I agree with you that the SETTING renders one more relevant than another, this is not how you framed the issue.
Original post by Foo.mp3

Standards, variable/subject specific. The absolute standard in select regions remains good, but, unfortunately, across most areas relative standards are markedly in decline. Capeesh?

I have no problem with the incorporation of neutral colloquial terminology here and there, I would just prefer not to hear my language bastardised/reduced to shorthand modes of speech, problem?

At what point did I claim to be either? As for being a pretentious brat, you don’t know me from Adam son and the term relates to minors, whereas I am a 27 year old thanks :smile:

I'll bite. Firstly, Capisce. I'm pretty sure any intelligent person would object to the way you're "ruining" Italian there in the same manner you protest how the
"yoof" are bastardising "your" language.

That's another thing, "your language" the language is spoken by several million people, what gives you the right to arbitrate? On what criteria? solely on what you feel is correct? Your title already demonstrates your poor grasp of the tongue, your following posts serve only to reinforce this perception.

Yes, by you're own admission you're not a linguist, what then gives you the balls to be so damn sure? And why, by the Queen's hairy ball sack, do you honestly think being 27 when coming across as a self important pseudo-intellectual uninformed brat is a good thing?

Feel free to re-iterate your nonsense, strewn with poorly spelled Italicisms, misc speak like "Problem?" and ample use of the Borat emoticon once more. :rolleyes:

P.S: If I annoy you that much, feel free to write a letter about it. :colone:
I am more disappointed by the Americanisation of our language.

Latest

Trending

Trending