The Student Room Group

C1 MEI Wednesday 16th May 2012

Just created this thread for people who will be sitting the MEI C1 (4751) exam on Wednesday 16th May.

I'm resitting after getting 78 UMS in the January exam; I'm quite optimistic this time round, but with the unpredictable nature of MEI who knows what monstrosities could find their way into the exam paper. :unimpressed:

That being said, I have found that, on most papers, for a lot of the 'more difficult' questions (those towards the end of Section B) the key tends to lie with a quadratic equation.

Anyway, aiming for 100 UMS on this paper! I hope it goes well for everyone else too! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Anymore ideas on what could come up?
and just to ask, how did you get 78 first time round?
Reply 2
Don't focus on trying to question spot.

UNDERSTAND the material, then do the past papers.
Hi can someone help me with question 7 http://www.mei.org.uk/files/papers/c107ju_6gfd3.pdf
Reply 4
Original post by King of the Jungle
Hi can someone help me with question 7 http://www.mei.org.uk/files/papers/c107ju_6gfd3.pdf

(4x+5)/2x = -3

4x+5=-6x
10x+5=0
10x=-5
x=-1/2
Original post by tehforum
(4x+5)/2x = -3

4x+5=-6x
10x+5=0
10x=-5
x=-1/2

sorry i mean 11i
Reply 6
I'm sitting this exam.
Also got a B in Jan :smile:
Hoping for around 90UMS or so.
Reply 7
Original post by King of the Jungle
sorry i mean 11i

grad = 7 - 3 /3 - 1 = 4/2 = 2
perp grad = -1/2
y - y1 = m (x - x1)
y - 7 = -1/2 (x - 3)
2y - 14 = -x + 3
2y = x + 17
x + 2y = 17

:smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
I'm doing this exam, not resitting :smile:

Any tips for how to succeed? In some mocks I am getting 100% or very close, in others a few questions throw me. they always seem to be thing like circle equations, or factor theorum. Can someone explain factor theorus to me please? I've tried going over it, but I don't seem to get the concept, perhaps some dicussion may aide me.

Are there any othe relevant polynomial theorums?
Reply 9
Original post by AspiringGenius
I'd be happy to help with most things if you ask! :smile:

I'd also be happy to help anyone :smile:
Or try my best anyways!

I hate the implication questions.
In Jan I only got 1/4 marks in the ones that came up xD
I also seemed to lose just one mark on a few questions so I am going to make sure I don't miss any steps that deserve marks in my calculations :tongue:
Original post by Alotties
I'd also be happy to help anyone :smile:
Or try my best anyways!

I hate the implication questions.
In Jan I only got 1/4 marks in the ones that came up xD
I also seemed to lose just one mark on a few questions so I am going to make sure I don't miss any steps that deserve marks in my calculations :tongue:

I don't mind the implication ones, it's the questions like: prove that n^2 + n is always even. I got it right, but i never know quite what they want to see--- do they want n(n+1) (which was right, plus a supporting statement), or implication symbols? or worked examples of different integers? non integers?
Reply 11
Original post by halii_94
Doing this exam for the first time on Wednesday :s-smilie:

You will be fine!
We all will on here unless we get a killer question (which won't happen :please:)

I don't mind the implication ones, it's the questions like: prove that n^2 + n is always even. I got it right, but i never know quite what they want to see--- do they want n(n+1) (which was right, plus a supporting statement), or implication symbols? or worked examples of different integers? non integers?

I usually do some examples but it all depends on the question.
Usually implication ones leave you like a box to write them in I think :smile:
You will be fine!
We all will on here unless we get a killer question (which won't happen :please:)

I usually do some examples but it all depends on the question.
Usually implication ones leave you like a box to write them in I think :smile:

Can you help me with factor or remainder theorum please? Its the only thing I haven't really learnt properly. I'm trying to teach myself now but we didn't go over it in class.

My question is from June 2010 paper, using factor theorum,

f(x)=x^3 + 6x^2 - x - 30. Using factor theorum find a root of f(x)=0 and factorise completely.

Now I can factorise completely, and by observation I can tell that x=2 is a root of this polynomial. This means the fully factorised version becomes f(x)=(x-2)(x+3)(x+5), but as this is all by observation, I am prettty certain I'd lose all the marks.

How wuld you go about this?
Reply 13
Ergh, C1, I remember you.

Why you no let me use a calculator? :nopity:
Reply 14
Can you help me with factor or remainder theorum please? Its the only thing I haven't really learnt properly. I'm trying to teach myself now but we didn't go over it in class.

My question is from June 2010 paper, using factor theorum,

f(x)=x^3 + 6x^2 - x - 30. Using factor theorum find a root of f(x)=0 and factorise completely.

Now I can factorise completely, and by observation I can tell that x=2 is a root of this polynomial. This means the fully factorised version becomes f(x)=(x-2)(x+3)(x+5), but as this is all by observation, I am prettty certain I'd lose all the marks.

How wuld you go about this?

I would go about it by testing certain numbers!
I usually start with 1 or 2.
So...
f(2) = (2)^3 + 6(2)^2 - (2) - 30
= 8 + 24 - 32
= 0
Then I'd do polynomial division by x - 2 to find the other factors.
(click to enlarge image) :smile:
polyd.png

(x - 2)(x^2 + 8x + 15)
(x - 2)(x + 3)(x + 5)

That's how I'd do it :tongue:
I would go about it by testing certain numbers!
I usually start with 1 or 2.
So...
f(2) = (2)^3 + 6(2)^2 - (2) - 30
= 8 + 24 - 32
= 0
Then I'd do polynomial division by x - 2 to find the other factors.
(click to enlarge image) :smile:
polyd.png

(x - 2)(x^2 + 8x + 15)
(x - 2)(x + 3)(x + 5)

That's how I'd do it :tongue:

but isn't there a more rigid methos as opposed to trial and error. isn't that essentially just observation method, but with a few guesses first?
Reply 16
Original post by Benniboi1

This is how I felt in Jan!
Lost 2 marks because my subtracting was rubbish :tongue:
Original post by Benniboi1

c1 with a calculator would just be fun! :biggrin: and maths isn't allowed to be fun! :L (or not AS anyway)
Reply 18
but isn't there a more rigid methos as opposed to trial and error. isn't that essentially just observation method, but with a few guesses first?

I was never taught another method and this is the one I have always used so I can't help you, I am not sure if there are any other methods :colondollar:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 19
c1 with a calculator would just be fun! :biggrin: and maths isn't allowed to be fun! :L (or not AS anyway)

Very true :biggrin: if you do further maths then then you have FP2 to look forward to next year :colone:

Quick Reply