The Student Room Group

P2 Additional Science Next week!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by khalidpatel
Go on google type in AQA UMS converter then click GCSE, click physics unit 2... And grade boundaries should come.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Aahh, ok nice one.
Thanks to the person that posted the Jan 2012 exam paper and markscheme :smile:

Hmm.. I think there'll be questions on nuclear fission - naming the process, static electricity, momentum and probably a diagram asking us what type of radiation caused an atom to change into another different type of atom. That's all the common questions I can remember from the top of my head but I'll probably remember some more after completing more past papers.

Anyone else know any other likely questions?
Reply 22
Original post by SmellyK.
could someone please explain momentum to me, no matter how much i revise it i just dont seem to be getting it! :frown:

Momentum is given by the formula:

Momentum (in kg m/s)=Mass (in kg) X Velocity (in m/s)

Knowing that velocity includes direction, so does the momentum of a moving object. This is because velocity is included in the formula for momentum.

An object with no velocity (not moving at all) has no momentum as anythingX0=0.

"Momentum before=Momentum after"
This means total momentum is conserved - it is never increases or decreased. However if there is an external force applied, this rule does not apply.

Think of a snooker ball, named ball 1 at 9m/s velocity, on a snooker table when ball 1 is moving at 9m/s velocity (ignore air resistance as it is an external force). Without air resistance, it'll move at a constant momentum due to a constant velocity. Now imagine another snooker ball named ball 2 which isn't moving - 0m/s velocity. When ball 1 hits ball 2, ball 2 will change its velocity from 0m/s to 9m/s. At the same time ball 1 will change its velocity from 9m/s to 0m/s. Here momentum was conserved. This is because the momentum was simply transferred from ball 1 to ball 2.

This site may help you:
http://scienceray.com/technology/transport/applications-of-momentum-in-every-day-life/
Reply 23
I Hope a question about photocopiers comes up!! That would be a easy 3 or 4 marks

Reply 24
Original post by krisshP

Knowing that velocity includes direction, so does the momentum of a moving object. This is because velocity is included in the formula for momentum.

This means total momentum is conserved - it is never increases or decreased. However if there is an external force applied, this rule does not apply.

Think of a snooker ball, named ball 1 at 9m/s velocity, on a snooker table when ball 1 is moving at 9m/s velocity (ignore air resistance as it is an external force). Without air resistance, it'll move at a constant momentum due to a constant velocity. Now imagine another snooker ball named ball 2 which isn't moving - 0m/s velocity. When ball 1 hits ball 2, ball 2 will change its velocity from 0m/s to 9m/s. At the same time ball 1 will change its velocity from 9m/s to 0m/s. Here momentum was conserved. This is because the momentum was simply transferred from ball 1 to ball 2.

This site may help you:
http://scienceray.com/technology/transport/applications-of-momentum-in-every-day-life/

Thankk you very much :smile: your example made it much simpler :biggrin:
Reply 25
I'm so glad i aced these and got full marks in structured and multiple back in January :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Original post by Aidanb90

Is there a grade boundary for this paper? Please

Hi do you have P3 Jan 2012? If you do, could you please send a link with mark scheme? would be so useful! thanks :smile:
Reply 27
3 days left till the exam!! :redface:

Original post by krisshP

This site may help you:

can i just say, you just explained momentum to me much more clearer in 8 lines, than my physics teacher explained in 7 lessons :P thank you very much :smile:
Reply 29
Right guys lets keep the thread abit more lively can somebody explain the difference between nuclear fission and fusion??

Nuclear Fission is neutrons hitting nuclei , causing more neutrons to be emitted from the nuclei which continues as part of a chain reaction. Nuclear Fusion is two nuclei joining together to form a heavier particle :smile: remember that Water in a nuclear reactor is used as a coolant and as a control on the nuclear fission reactions as the neutrons need to travel through water molecules which slow them down. Control Rods are used to absorb surplus neutrons to keep the reaction under control :smile:

what could you say if rthe question was " State one factor which affectes cars distance during driver reaction time"
Reply 31
Braking distance :/ hmm not sure

Reply 32
I still don't understand that if u put ur hand on that generator how does ur hair stick up???

cos the generator will transfer negatively charged electrons into your hair, and since each hair has the same negative charge they will try to get away from each other and thus they will stand upright as like charges repel each other
Reply 34
Ooooo I get it now!! Wow man literally 2 days till that exam... I hope it's easy man

aha likewise i got 83 ums on the january one i need to get 90 in P3 and P2 for A* cos i got 90 in P1 and 90 in my ISA lol
Reply 36
That's wicked man! I hope u get trout desired grade... I'm at AS level just resisting gcses to get the star on my A's! A level chemistry is hard and a level biology... Didn't do physics that would of killed me loool

Reply 37
Original post by khalidpatel
Right guys lets keep the thread abit more lively can somebody explain the difference between nuclear fission and fusion??

Fusion is when two hydrogen nuclei FUSE, and become a Helium nucleus. :smile:
Reply 38
For people who are doing a resit for P2, do you understand how u messed up first time?. I can't understand. I found the paper so easy yet I still slipped up. I don't know what I slipped up on, that's what scares me.
Reply 39
Okay guys so after tomorrows exam we quickly make an unofficial markscheme... Saves time from discussing answers

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending