The Student Room Group

English Language AS Coursework

hey :smile:

I was wondering what the best pieces for english language coursework A.S. level coursework would be? I really want to get the highest mark available and need some advice, thanks :smile: also, what do examiners look for in the commentary writing?
Hello :smile:

My name's Dale and I'm re-starting my coursework for AS Level English Language. I'm re-starting as I started it a few months back but due to family problems I got an extension. I'm an Online A Level Student.

I'm writing a piece to entertain (An autobiography piece) and to inform (An album review on Adele's '21' album)

I'm doing these as I'm quite the entertainer and nothing else appealed to me (My tutor suggested an album review and I like music)
I think importantly write in the way you enjoy. Secondly do lots of research.

If you want to buddy up let me know.

Dale :wink:
Reply 2
Ello =)

Ive just finished A2 but i remember and enjoyed AS a little better. I wrote to entertain as well - one piece was basically the beginning of a horror story but it was set out in the form of a play (that wasn't what i intended but my teacher told me to set it out like that :rolleyes:)

For the other piece i did a film review on 'Chaplin' - 1992 for Empire magazine which i really enjoyed in the end =) The key is to go with something that you're genuinely interested in. I'm a horror freak and that film is one of my favourites so writing them was actually fun :tongue:

That probably sounds so geeky but its true :biggrin:
Reply 3
I think they basically look for things that are original. The review has been done to death, so while you can still do really well on it it will stand out less.

I just finished the A2 course but I remember that I did a Hogwarts Prospectus as a companion to the books as a piece to entertain. Personally I found that really fun to do, as I included things like letters from the head and wrote in the style of Dumbledore.

For my second piece I wrote a political speech for the labour party concerning the rise in tuition fees and it was really topical at the time and something I felt strongly about.

Basically make sure they are completely different, write about something you care about and try to be original and you won't go wrong.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
I did AS English Language last year. I did a newspaper editorial for adults and then a short story for children. Their respective purposes were to persuade and to entertain/educate.

Our teacher recommended that to get the highest marks, go for two very different audiences and have two very different purposes. I imagine by now you're probably sick of being told this :P

Good luck :biggrin: - I really enjoyed doing mine. Definitely a fun coursework :smile:
Thank you for all the sound advice. I guess with me being an Online student I'am missing out on the whole group interaction/classroom environment. To be honest I'm a little lost on what and where I start with it all :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending