The Student Room Group

Bad driving instructors

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by sarahthegemini
...but you would be too blame for it :confused:

The instructor has dual controls for a reason. You're a learner driver and therefore very likely to miss something and cause an accident which is why your instructor should keep their eyes on the road when ever you are in control of that car.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by sarahthegemini
...but you would be too blame for it :confused:

I didn't see the cyclist at first, If I had, I wouldn't have turned into the road. He only looked up when I put the brakes on at the last second & he saw the cyclist just in front of the car. Half a second later and I would've hit them. Bit scary.
Reply 42
had booked twice a week with my instructor (9.30 - 11am). he cancelled on me at least once a week out of 7 then once i had booked my test, he text me next lesson day at 11.30 to say he could not make it (REALLY, WOULD NOT HAVE GUESSED). got so fed up with 2 weeks to my test date that i cancelled him and booked with AA. nervous coz i got 4 hours in different car till test.
Original post by Ice Constricter
My friend told me about his old instructor that used to text throughout lessons and take long toilet breaks, i'm guessing for no.2 :mmm:

Mine use to have phone conversation with his gf all the time!! And it was so hard to get lessons with him! Also he would tell me all his personal issues it was sooo awkward!!

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my LT18i
Original post by llessur123
That is pretty much average. 40 lessons in quick succession and you will probably pass your test. You can't really judge after 4 hours of driving. Good luck!

Sorry what?

Hold on maybe these lessons are only 30 mins?

In NI lesson's are an hour so most people do like 15 or so before their test
Could anyone give me a little guidance with this? I'm not really sure if my instructor is bad or not, we get on well, chat but I guess that could be a bad thing and I need someone stricter? He's normally about 10 minutes late which doesn't really bother me although once he took me to pick his bike up which I don't really expect when I'm paying to learn (although he did knock a bit off on the price but not quite the 10 minutes worth that it took).

I've done about 8 or 9 two hour lessons, I've done turn in the road manoeuvre wise but that's all. I normally end up stalling at lights once or twice in the two hours usually going uphill (although once going downhill when I started in second...). He also tells me when reversing you have to turn your head and look out the back window and not use the rear view mirror which I find uncomfortable and messes up my clutch control a bit. I haven't even done hill starts other than my coincidence and its something I expected to do early on. Likewise I also expected not to still be panicking on roundabouts and junctions I still make stupid mistakes like not checking the inside mirror before turning or not knowing when to change down a gear (for roundabouts etc.). I just expected to be a better driver after 18 hours of lessons, I certainly don't feel half-way there. Do other people's lessons have structure? I generally just drive off from home in a loop, stop off on the way and do some 3 point turns and then drive home? He doesn't really give me feedback unless I do something completely wrong either which is a bit disconcerting. Or is all this just to be expected with learning? I was wondering whether it was worth taking an hour lesson with another instructor just to see if they're any better?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 46
Original post by JumpingFrog
Could anyone give me a little guidance with this? I'm not really sure if my instructor is bad or not, we get on well, chat but I guess that could be a bad thing and I need someone stricter? He's normally about 10 minutes late which doesn't really bother me although once he took me to pick his bike up which I don't really expect when I'm paying to learn (although he did knock a bit off on the price but not quite the 10 minutes worth that it took).

I've done about 8 or 9 two hour lessons, I've done turn in the road manoeuvre wise but that's all. I normally end up stalling at lights once or twice in the two hours usually going uphill (although once going downhill when I started in second...). He also tells me when reversing you have to turn your head and look out the back window and not use the rear view mirror which I find uncomfortable and messes up my clutch control a bit. I haven't even done hill starts other than my coincidence and its something I expected to do early on. Likewise I also expected not to still be panicking on roundabouts and junctions I still make stupid mistakes like not checking the inside mirror before turning or not knowing when to change down a gear (for roundabouts etc.). I just expected to be a better driver after 18 hours of lessons, I certainly don't feel half-way there. Do other people's lessons have structure? I generally just drive off from home in a loop, stop off on the way and do some 3 point turns and then drive home? He doesn't really give me feedback unless I do something completely wrong either which is a bit disconcerting. Or is all this just to be expected with learning? I was wondering whether it was worth taking an hour lesson with another instructor just to see if they're any better?

He doesn't seem too bad but why don't you ask him for more feedback if you want it? Like what are you improving on and what you still need to work on.

My lessons had structure, as in if I struggled with something last lesson we might go over it for 5-10 mins but not all lesson. You might just have to take the lead to make sure your lessons have a bit more structure :smile:

Curious where abouts in Lancashire are you? My driving instructor was in Preston if you're there, he was incredibly good, something like the top 2% in the country :smile:
Original post by Boo_x
He doesn't seem too bad but why don't you ask him for more feedback if you want it? Like what are you improving on and what you still need to work on.

My lessons had structure, as in if I struggled with something last lesson we might go over it for 5-10 mins but not all lesson. You might just have to take the lead to make sure your lessons have a bit more structure :smile:

Curious where abouts in Lancashire are you? My driving instructor was in Preston if you're there, he was incredibly good, something like the top 2% in the country :smile:

He does show me when I make mistakes and makes me focus on them through out the lesson. So I guess I'll ask him to do some hill starts and what not. It makes me panic when I stall and slow other people down even though I know it shouldn't. I live close to Longridge actually which is pretty close to Preston.
Reply 48
JumpingFrog:

My lessons were like that. Just drove around and stopped a few times.

You have to turn your head and look out the back while reversing. It is uncomfortable but, iirc, if you use your mirrors you'll fail or maybe a minor.

But if you don't feel like you're getting anyway It might be worth considering changing. Don't forget, these people's are charging you; if you aren't happy with their service, take your money elsewhere!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
There seem to be a lot of bad driving teachers out there! I have also had similar experiences. Firstly my driving instructor once didn't turn up to a lesson, and then when I asked him politely about it he said we had never had one booked, even though he had written it down on my appointment card! Also he is very patronising and makes funny voices sometimes as if he's talking to a very young child! Not appreciated! Although despite all this, he did manage to get me through my test, so I suppose there is some thanks to be paid...
Original post by thetobbit
Sorry what?

Hold on maybe these lessons are only 30 mins?

In NI lesson's are an hour so most people do like 15 or so before their test

I'm from NI. The lessons are an hour and 40 lessons for a beginner with no experience outside of their lessons is average over the various instructors where I'm from.

I don't know anybody that's got it in under 35 lessons. I'm talking like 20 of my friends from different instructors. I couldn't imagine someone being able to pass a test in 15 hours, unless they were practising in their own car or had previous experience. I've heard this a lot though, but really I've never known someone who has had that many lessons from scratch and passed.
I'm from NI. The lessons are an hour and 40 lessons for a beginner with no experience outside of their lessons is average over the various instructors where I'm from.

I don't know anybody that's got it in under 35 lessons. I'm talking like 20 of my friends from different instructors. I couldn't imagine someone being able to pass a test in 15 hours, unless they were practising in their own car or had previous experience. I've heard this a lot though, but really I've never known someone who has had that many lessons from scratch and passed.

Lol 40 hours. Really?

I practised outside lessons in my car but besides that, 40 really?

And when I started my lessons I had absolutely no prior experience in a vehicle whatsoever, not even a fiddle with the gear stick lol
Lol 40 hours. Really?

And when I started my lessons I had absolutely no prior experience in a vehicle whatsoever, not even a fiddle with the gear stick lol

I'm not lying, I'm being deadly serious. Practice in a car makes a huge difference though.
Lol 40 hours. Really?

40 hours is the average, not the standard. Some people need even more and some, less. I booked my test after 25 hours, with no outside practice, so it's different for everybody.

Im from NI too but I disagree,I've had friends who have passed their test in 2-4months,and I've only had 8 lessons and I'm near test ready,all my friends complete beginners including me bar one.:rolleyes:
Original post by JustDisturbia
Im from NI too but I disagree,I've had friends who have passed their test in 2-4months,and I've only had 8 lessons and I'm near test ready,all my friends complete beginners including me bar one.:rolleyes:

I'm just reporting on my experiences. I've never known anyone who has passed in under 35.
Original post by tregan92
Hm, lots of things my instructor did. I was too stupid to see early on he was taking my £££ from me.

1. Charged me for first lesson (£23/hr), but my friends said their first lesson was free. Even his business card, which he gave to me incase I decided to return to him after I cancelled lessons with him, said on it 'First lesson Free'.
2. Only took me through test routes literally three times out of 53 hours of lessons - I would travel to far places and practice there, for what reason? To pick up his next student who happened to live far away. So I never had a chance to actually drive through the test routes nearly as much as I should have.
3. In the process of 'picking up other students' I would occasionally drive an automatic for half of the lesson since the next student who I am 'going to pick up' drives an automatic - I paid for manual lessons. My fault for not talking about it, but again I was stupid.
4. Promised me discounts for booking a block of 10 lessons; never saw that.
5. This is where it really gets annoying. He would book my tests AT THE WRONG DATES; literally 2 months late. I would tell him there were test dates in (December) but he would intentionally leave it till 3 weeks later to book the test dates and then say there were non available. I remember he even had to nerve to try and push me to do more lessons up until the (too late) test date.
6. When he tried to correct my test date he booked it at the WRONG TEST CENTRE and when he tried to correct it, he would leave it, you guessed it, 3 weeks later so the test dates become really late. More lessons = more £££ for him. Even had the nerve to tell me 'Not to check online regarding my test date' :confused:
7. Once test was booked, I suddenly became the worst driver in the world, telling me there is a speed camera coming up (when I'm driving at a constant 28mph when limit is 30mph?), telling me I indicated a second too early, telling me when to change gear (after 40-50 hours I know how to change gear...) and then using this all against me saying I am not ready for the test and that we should postpone it and do more lessons
8. He also made me do a reverse around the corner at nightime in a dark alleyway with no streetlights. I literally couldn't see the kerb, looking in the back window is pointless since its all black, I had to get out to see. For some people this may be OK but to me it seemed he was just trying to have a reason to tell me I'm not good enough. I would be able to execute the manoeuvre but he would tell me off for not being exactly x cm away from the kerb at all times.
9. He would talk on his mobile whilst I am driving, this is actually illegal
10. I told him I was going to cut lessons short and start practising in my own car: you can imagine his response. Apparently I should not drive any car OTHER than his own (instructor's car) as I will, all of the sudden, be unable to drive his (instructor's) car. And this was after I had 50+ hours practice in his car.
11. Such a hypocrite, about 30-40 lessons earlier he pulled up outside my house in a completely different car, didn't tell me about it, made me 'practice' in it for 2 hours, charged me £46 and then switched back to his old car. I had to spend important lesson time getting used to his new car; I was very early in my learning stage at this point.
12. One time I was waiting to emerge into a major road (from a minor road), and there were lots of traffic on both sides - so I couldn't enter. Literally there was no way to enter without having an accident. He then had a go at me for 'not making any effort'. I said to him I can't emerge its too unsafe and there are no gaps. His reply? Yes, but, you should move you car up a bit past the line to show you are interested in emerging. WTF:confused:
13. He would use my lesson time to run his little errands, going to the bank, his house (like 25 times literally, half the time I am driving there), etc
14. I don't know why but I have caught him a few times with his eyes closed whilst I am performing a manoeuvre like reverse around the corner or reverse parking..

Jeeze:eek: was this the instructor you then ended up passing with? how come you didnt change??

my instructor at the mo:
Need some advice: basically ive had 8 lessons [done hill starts,closed/open junctions, double junctions,dual carriageways + roundabouts etc but NO manoeuvres] and thought i was progressing quite well,except my instructor seems to have *off* days,where hes in a bad mood with me and i get stressed and make really silly mistakes! and don't feel like ive learnt anything at all in the lesson because of his *off* days and his attitude. I usually have to drive his last student home - which is acceptable as its usually a different student each time, so im experiencing different roads, but my instructor and the student would fully TALK while im driving, and he would forget to tell me where to go,what to do,so i get stressed and stall, (then he would get annoyed at me!) and the conversation between them would be so deep i honestly cant concentrate! and then i would make a mistake and there would be a joke made between him and the student im leaving home- confidence knocked completely AND he would make phone calls =/- but, he said im so "Advanced" i could pass my test by july? should i change instructors???
I had one I believed to work for a driving school. Rumoured to be not after a few years of asking around with a hunch he wasn't part of the driving school... He put me forward for a driving test and I failed miserably, Now I don't drive in fear of meeting another odd instructor. Costs put me off also, but needs and must will look into it this summer to do my theory and practical by easter. weather will be better by then. looking around now for the right school to work with. Apparently the driving test is changing, that if you pass in the day, you have to prove that you can pass at night also. coming this year in the next 6months i got told today by a driving lesson lady.
Original post by Quiet _One86
I had one I believed to work for a driving school. Rumoured to be not after a few years of asking around with a hunch he wasn't part of the driving school... He put me forward for a driving test and I failed miserably, Now I don't drive in fear of meeting another odd instructor. Costs put me off also, but needs and must will look into it this summer to do my theory and practical by easter. weather will be better by then. looking around now for the right school to work with. Apparently the driving test is changing, that if you pass in the day, you have to prove that you can pass at night also. coming this year in the next 6months i got told today by a driving lesson lady.

LOL

Your "driving lesson lady "is wrong then.
Original post by NutterFrutter
LOL

Your "driving lesson lady "is wrong then.

She isn't mine. I wouldn't drive with her. She seemed a little out there and I'd rather join with a driving school. Reputable and high success rates not someone who makes up hourly rates to anyone and tells lies like the above then no thanks. What is the truth or no change to pass or fail one test.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending