The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Clockwork Orange (but since you live in the US I doubt that the school would allow it to be shown) - It is ToK since you can discuss treatment of criminals, crimes, reprogramming humans etc

Matrix - Basically not to trust everything you see. Make sure its the 1st movie, the others arent that ToKish.

Brain Movie - BBC documentary, very interesting

There is a few options for you. Enjoy
A Beautiful Mind - beauty of Maths
Reply 3
HMSChocolate
A Beautiful Mind - beauty of Maths

I loved this ToK movie... its amazing
Reply 4
string theory- by something greene
Reply 5
Awesome, thanks!
Reply 6
Our ToK classes shows and discusses these two movies;

Fahrenheit 9/11 and Fahrenhype 9/11

Basically these two are the opposite.Fahrenhype is the 'counterclaim' against Fahrenheit and they both contribute to good discussion. I mean, which one is true? :wink:
Reply 7
We watched "What The Bleep Do We Know". Really interesting and funny at some places. Makes you think too.

And what about The Matrix? "What is real?" questions and stuff... pretty TOK, don't you think?
Reply 8
um...Vanilla Sky? It shows we can't always presume life is what we think it is...it's a very TOK film!
Reply 9
Lunar Legacy of course. And The Life of David Gale is a good movie for tok.
Reply 10
Ne0n
Clockwork Orange (but since you live in the US I doubt that the school would allow it to be shown) - It is ToK since you can discuss treatment of criminals, crimes, reprogramming humans etc

why wouldn't the school allow Clockwork Orange? :s-smilie: I haven't seen this film before, so I obviously don't know the content, but as far as I know, America isn't so big on banning movies... (:s-smilie:)
Reply 11
afua12
why wouldn't the school allow Clockwork Orange? :s-smilie: I haven't seen this film before, so I obviously don't know the content, but as far as I know, America isn't so big on banning movies... (:s-smilie:)

Actually, we are. We can't show movies if they're rated R unless we get a signed permission slip, but most of the time, they won't even try because too much controversy gets started, so they just stray away from bad movies.
Throughout these two years we watched Inherit The Wind, Pi, Lost In Translation, Rabbit Proof Fence and Big Fish. The latter especially is a great movie for tok, a lot to do with perception and stuff.
Reply 13
We watched 'The Gods Must Be Crazy' and 'An Inconvenient Truth'.. and something else which I can't remember.
Reply 14
A Space Odyssey -- If I remembered correctly, it has something to do with this 'is language essential to obtain new/more knowledge, or something similar..' probably not, because you can learn from other sense and reasoning and so on...but its really ToK-ish when I watched it a yr ago
I suggest
( drum roll )
Kpax
Reply 16
Fight Club
Reply 17
Hey,
I recently watched Waking Life and I thought it was one of the best ToK movies ever.
Best of all, there are many websites dedicated to the movie containing the script of the movie as well as written commentaries.

Here is a little excerpt, one of my favourites:

So what do you think of my little vessel? She's what we call "see-worthy." S-E-E. See with your eyes. I feel like my transport should be an extension of my personality. Voila. And this? This is like my little window to the world, and every minute it's a different show. Now, I may not understand it. I may not even necessarily agree with it. But I'll tell you what, I accept it and just sort of glide along. You want to keep things on an even keel I guess is what I'm saying. You want to go with the flow. The sea refuses no river. The idea is to remain in a state of constant departure while always arriving. Saves on introductions and good-byes. The ride does not require an explanation. Just occupants. That's where you guys come in. It's like you come onto this planet with a crayon box. Now, you may get the 8-pack, you may get the 16-pack. But it's all in what you do with the crayons, the colors that you're given. And don't worry about drawing within the lines or coloring outside the lines. I say color outside the lines. You know what I mean? Color right off the page. Don't box me in. We're in motion to the ocean. We are not landlocked, I'll tell ya that. So where do you want out?

Source: http://strivinglife.com/words/post/Waking-Life-Script-with-Revisions.aspx

"Acquire it" - somehow. I assure you you'll love it :biggrin:
Reply 18
Thanks for all the help, guys. =]
v for vendetta is slightly tok, also the truman show with jim caery in it!!