The Student Room Group

Students - dentist/optician free?

Hi. I am due a checkup at the dentist and the optician. I'm 19 and would have to pay. However, as i am starting uni in september, should i wait until then? Do students get these sevices free/cheaper?
Thanks in advance for any replies!

Scroll to see replies

If you go to an NHs dentist its free if you are in full time education, and ditto for the opticians, i went to specsavers expecting to pay but i didnt have to because i was still in full time ed.
Cool, thankyou. So i guess i'll wait til september and get it done free :biggrin:
what if you are 23 and in full time universitry (is university full time even?!)
Reply 4
For NHS dentistry im sure if you're 19 and in full time education you can get it free so long as you fill out the HCN-1 form.
For opticians you have to pay, I think there is a form that might get the eye test free but if you want nice glasses you are going to have to pay. Specsavers do 30% student discount so I got my eye test, new frames and new lenses for my old frames for £120.
Dhesi is right, you need to fill in an HC1 form. I did it and got free dental treatment and free opticians.
Yup HC1 form is needed. I am oficially not a studnet by 17th July so have to have a filling 2 days before my graduation ceremony while I can still get it free :frown:
Reply 8
What about if you're 18 and just finished Alevels, so you don't know for definate if you're getting into uni, is it all still free? Because technically you're not in full time education anymore!
Reply 9
I haven't had to pay yet! I'm great! x
student_s
What about if you're 18 and just finished Alevels, so you don't know for definate if you're getting into uni, is it all still free? Because technically you're not in full time education anymore!

Pay for it, make sure you get a receipt - IF you decide to go to University, get a HC1 form, fill it out and hey presto 6weeks roughly from your application date - you'll get a piece of paper, which says your eligible for free dentist checks and opticians.:smile:
When you've got the certificate - go back to the dentist and they should refund you back the money, well I got a refund from the Chemist on a prescription they made me fork out - im guessing its the same procedure for Dentists :s-smilie: . . .
Reply 11
DancinBallerina
Pay for it, make sure you get a receipt - IF you decide to go to University, get a HC1 form, fill it out and hey presto 6weeks roughly from your application date - you'll get a piece of paper, which says your eligible for free dentist checks and opticians.:smile:
When you've got the certificate - go back to the dentist and they should refund you back the money, well I got a refund from the Chemist on a prescription they made me fork out - im guessing its the same procedure for Dentists :s-smilie: . . .

Thank you :biggrin: I guess I'll just have to wait to see if I have got into uni, before filling in the HC1 form or making another appointment lol.
where do you get a HC1 form from?
A lot of students I know, myself included don't qualify for free health care.

I started University at 18, have an NHS dentist and have had to pay since then. I also have to pay for my opticians. I know specsaves give you student discount. Don't go to boots. They charged me £30 last time. Rip off central!

And I got my HC1 form from my dentist. Then I realised I didn't qualify for it, well gutted =[
so how do they decide if you qualify for it or not?? I'm v confused now!
You complete the form and they ask you questions about income and benefits etc. And based on that they decide what kind of discounts you get. You can get one from here
Reply 16
You cn get the forms from the Job Centre.
cool, thank you very much people :smile:
Reply 18
I don't think the NHS dentish is free for 19yrs or above student
Reply 19
You're entitled to all NHS medical and dental treatment / prescriptions for free by filling in a HC1.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending