The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Tofufi
Volkswagen were making semi-automatic Beetles as long ago as 1968 :biggrin:

All the other makers are playing catchup...

We almost brought one on an impulse for my mother as a play thing when at VW action one time. Do they actually work well?? Imagine it's another thing to go wrong.
Yes you can drive a semi-automatic seeing as they are typically an automatic with a "manual" mode. They don't require any of the skills associated with driving a proper manual such as clutch technique, just a mild understanding of when to shift up or down.

Also loads of cars have semi-auto, things like tiptronic were you can use the shifter like a squential shifter.
Reply 22
Hehe Actually if put mine in Semi Automatic mode, a little thing flashs up on the dash telling you you need to change up or down! A Child could actually drive my car :P
Reply 23
wtf you have to get a license to 'drive' an automatic. well, its not really driving, it should be alled riding an automatic car
Reply 24
scotttb
wtf you have to get a license to 'drive' an automatic. well, its not really driving, it should be alled riding an automatic car

Why bother posting? Nobody gives a **** what you think.
scotttb

So you're in favour of letting unlicensed automatic drivers out on the roads? I can just imagine how awesome they will be at driving.
Reply 26
CJN
Why bother posting? Nobody gives a **** what you think.
why bother replying? nobody gives a **** what you think

DarkWhite
So you're in favour of letting unlicensed automatic drivers out on the roads? I can just imagine how awesome they will be at driving.

riders*
Reply 27
initiation
We almost brought one on an impulse for my mother as a play thing when at VW action one time. Do they actually work well?? Imagine it's another thing to go wrong.

Never tried one, so I can't really comment.

From what I recall, they were 3 speed and generally fairly reliable, if a bit slower accelerating than a standard beetle.
Reply 28
Out of interest, what about a SMG (sequential manual gearbox)?

Obviously it doesn't have a clutch pedal so I would class it as an auto, but BMW insist it is a manual so how does that work for drivers with automatic licences?
Reply 29
A friend of mine has a semi-automatic.. but calls it a "semi-manual" :rolleyes:
Tofufi
if a bit slower accelerating than a standard beetle.

That would be fun:p:
two pedals and flappy paddles ?

yes you can drive it on an Auto restricted dlicence
1992LP
Out of interest, what about a SMG (sequential manual gearbox)?

Obviously it doesn't have a clutch pedal so I would class it as an auto, but BMW insist it is a manual so how does that work for drivers with automatic licences?

two pedals and sequential / flappy paddle change = automatic in the eyes of the law ...

sequential manuals are de rigeur on bikes and racing cars but they do still have a clutch ...

in terms of the law it;s the absence of a clutch pedal that determines auto or not
Reply 33
scotttb

i didnt have to, i just couldnt be bothered with gears.
it kinda is driving because i am allowed on the road? and have a driving licence?
Reply 34
AntiMonarchist
I thought only ferraris had semi automatics.
does it have flappy paddles behind the wheel?

fiat 500s can be semi automatic which is the car i want :biggrin:

Latest