The Student Room Group

The Working At Asda Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by m00balot
Hello, I work for ASDA and have done so for a year, have worked on ALOT of departments and am trained on ALOT of different things (I'm a bit of an ASDA whore, but I need the money, so I like to do alot!)

If you have ANY questions about applying, the application or the interviewing process, even the working and the way to use a till (if your desperate to know :P ) just ask!

was applying to asda online, however when I click do to assessments all it says is pending assessment and has the close button? So how do I do the online assessment?

I went in store to ask for an app but they said its all online, fair enough I guess.

I cannot seem to find a contact number for asda that handles recruitment, as clearly there is some sort of technical error that I cannot access the assessment
Reply 61
How long does it take for ASDA to get back to me about my online application?
Also, i applied to work in the Produce section and the Chilled Products section, what do i have to do in these?
Reply 62
Original post by LukeWz
Also, i applied to work in the Produce section and the Chilled Products section, what do i have to do in these?

I work on produce and it's basically just getting fruit and veg on the shelves and making sure there isn't any out of date stuff on display. Produce also covers the flowers section. Chilled is stuff like meat, cheese, milk and it's just shelf stacking - not as much as produce :wink:. As for how long it takes for them to get back to you it depends which store you applied to, our store has a long waiting list already cause loads of people applied but it depends i guess...
Reply 63
I applied for a closing date last week and so did a friend for the same position they have heard back and been rejected. How long does it take to get in touch usually?
Reply 64
Original post by blondie_
I applied for a closing date last week and so did a friend for the same position they have heard back and been rejected. How long does it take to get in touch usually?

i'm in exactly the same position as you. applied to two stores, closing the 26th oct and 2nd nov but not heard from either, apart from the confirmation you get saying they've received your application. i read that they inform even unsuccessful applicants but figured maybe they were getting lazy and didn't do that anymore, but this post gives me hope, maybe it means we're still being considered? i need a job so badly right now!
Original post by LukeWz

I work on the Produce Section in ASDA. It's alright.. It's hard work though.
Lots of heavy lifting, lots of date checking, Lots of manky gone of tomatoes, Lots of people complaining you never have lettuce in and lots of fun, especially the produce department at my ASDA, closest department in the whole store.. it's a small department so it's a nice little environment. (:

Hope I've helped.
Reply 66
I heard the next day, offering me an interview...except its at a wrong store MEH!
I have an interview, what can I expect please?
Reply 68
What is this Asda Magic Assesment thing...I have one on tuesday D:
I'm scared.
Original post by Wanischa
What is this Asda Magic Assesment thing...I have one on tuesday D:
I'm scared.

I had one of these a couple of weeks ago and it was less scary than I thought it would be!

There was about 10 of us. They registered us and asked us what departments we wanted to work in. Then they made us pair up with the person next to us and we had to ask them questions and then introduce them to the rest of the group.

We were then put into groups and told to create an advert for a product we were given. Had about 10 minutes but as long as you seem enthusiastic and friendly it doesn't matter too much what you say to some degree.

We then had to go down to the shop floor and were told to help pack peoples bags (if they wanted us to) for about 20 minutes. Again seem polite, warm and friendly.

Finally they told us a bit about Asda, the pay and what the next stage of the process was. Took about 1 to 1 and a half hours

Good luck
Reply 70
Original post by Monkey_Maiden
I had one of these a couple of weeks ago and it was less scary than I thought it would be!

There was about 10 of us. They registered us and asked us what departments we wanted to work in. Then they made us pair up with the person next to us and we had to ask them questions and then introduce them to the rest of the group.

We were then put into groups and told to create an advert for a product we were given. Had about 10 minutes but as long as you seem enthusiastic and friendly it doesn't matter too much what you say to some degree.

We then had to go down to the shop floor and were told to help pack peoples bags (if they wanted us to) for about 20 minutes. Again seem polite, warm and friendly.

Finally they told us a bit about Asda, the pay and what the next stage of the process was. Took about 1 to 1 and a half hours

Good luck

Awesome :smile:
Thank you.
i work 4 topshop, any qustions ask me 2
Reply 72
Original post by th10
i'm in exactly the same position as you. applied to two stores, closing the 26th oct and 2nd nov but not heard from either, apart from the confirmation you get saying they've received your application. i read that they inform even unsuccessful applicants but figured maybe they were getting lazy and didn't do that anymore, but this post gives me hope, maybe it means we're still being considered? i need a job so badly right now!

Yes hopefully were still got hope! Good luck let me know when they get in touch!
Reply 73
Finished my second night shift, typical they made me work the night of Black Ops release too, had to deal with people coming in every 10mins from 9pm saying "where can I get Black Ops?" even though they knew it was embargoed til midnight.

Also people coming in every 30mins after 1pm asking where to get it since the music and video desk was closed :facepalm:

Had a good night though, was working an entire section on my own (the other colleague got in the **** for that as i'm not meant to be left alone when i'm unfamiliar with the layout of the store) shoving toys left right and centre, then stationary and faceing everything up nicely.
Reply 74
Im currently resitting one module in my second year of university on due to go back next year for my 3rd year so have been looking for a job for this year for months. Due to start in a call centre for a bank in the new year and got offered a job in asda the other week.

Had an induction day which just involved signing a load of forms then did 4 hours of checkout training a day or two later. I have been put in the george section and when I looked at that section I didnt see one male. I was told the manager was unable to speak to me that day and to ring up the day later to find out my hours as I still haven't been shown round that section. The manager rang up on the friday asking me to work the saturday (which is the only day I marked out I couldnt work which they said wouldnt be a problem) so I said could I work sunday and she said there was no shifts till the following saturday a 12-8. I accepted that as its one of the only saturdays I am able to work however Im still very worried about the lack of hours/communication in the place. I need plenty of money for christmas and was told I would have to work at least 10 hours a week but obviously I need more, however this is only 8 hours a week. Is this normal? Is the lack of communication from my department normal?

Goign to have to look for another christmas job aswell as this will not do.
Reply 75
Original post by street_end
Im currently resitting one module in my second year of university on due to go back next year for my 3rd year so have been looking for a job for this year for months. Due to start in a call centre for a bank in the new year and got offered a job in asda the other week.

Had an induction day which just involved signing a load of forms then did 4 hours of checkout training a day or two later. I have been put in the george section and when I looked at that section I didnt see one male. I was told the manager was unable to speak to me that day and to ring up the day later to find out my hours as I still haven't been shown round that section. The manager rang up on the friday asking me to work the saturday (which is the only day I marked out I couldnt work which they said wouldnt be a problem) so I said could I work sunday and she said there was no shifts till the following saturday a 12-8. I accepted that as its one of the only saturdays I am able to work however Im still very worried about the lack of hours/communication in the place. I need plenty of money for christmas and was told I would have to work at least 10 hours a week but obviously I need more, however this is only 8 hours a week. Is this normal? Is the lack of communication from my department normal?

Goign to have to look for another christmas job aswell as this will not do.

Which store is this? The one I work at is nothing like this, will ring me if theres a problem, offer me shifts whenever I'm in. Less actual training that you got but I'm not in a checkout role and am never likely to be, so everything I learn is whilst working properly.

Them asking you to work the only day you marked as being unable seems a little odd, is it a busy store? As from the sound of it they have more staff than they really need already

8hrs a week?! I worked 9pm last night til 6am this morning so more hours in one night than you get a week lol
Reply 76
Original post by DoktaUH
Which store is this? The one I work at is nothing like this, will ring me if theres a problem, offer me shifts whenever I'm in. Less actual training that you got but I'm not in a checkout role and am never likely to be, so everything I learn is whilst working properly.

Them asking you to work the only day you marked as being unable seems a little odd, is it a busy store? As from the sound of it they have more staff than they really need already

8hrs a week?! I worked 9pm last night til 6am this morning so more hours in one night than you get a week lol

Huyton in Liverpool. i dont know why I was put on george as the only male and havent seen any men when walking through the shop on that section but im not that bothered about it. I got about an hour training on the checkouts then worked for 3 hours on them which wasnt too bad an was told the manager of george would come down and get me to speak to me and show me round which never happened and at end of shift she was nowhere to be seen.

Monday-Friday my availability was anything as im not in uni and then sunday again all day so I was a bit shocked when they rang on the friday and asked me to work 3-8 on the saturfday and the only other shift was this saturday 12-8 which is the only saturday I can do so im hoping I can sort this out far better then. The cut off date for novembers payday is this friday and I was hoping to get at least 150-250 earnt but only going to get about 50-60 for my training so im going to need a lot of hours of xmas for the 17th december pay day and even that mightent be enough.

Yer its a 24 hour store, the food part etc is ver busy, not sure about george but presume it still is.

I know I was hoping for at least 30.
Reply 77
Original post by street_end
Huyton in Liverpool. i dont know why I was put on george as the only male and havent seen any men when walking through the shop on that section but im not that bothered about it. I got about an hour training on the checkouts then worked for 3 hours on them which wasnt too bad an was told the manager of george would come down and get me to speak to me and show me round which never happened and at end of shift she was nowhere to be seen.

Monday-Friday my availability was anything as im not in uni and then sunday again all day so I was a bit shocked when they rang on the friday and asked me to work 3-8 on the saturfday and the only other shift was this saturday 12-8 which is the only saturday I can do so im hoping I can sort this out far better then. The cut off date for novembers payday is this friday and I was hoping to get at least 150-250 earnt but only going to get about 50-60 for my training so im going to need a lot of hours of xmas for the 17th december pay day and even that mightent be enough.

Yer its a 24 hour store, the food part etc is ver busy, not sure about george but presume it still is.

I know I was hoping for at least 30.

Small store with ambitions of gradeur by the looks of it. Not meeting the section manager during your first shift is a major faux pas of theirs as its essential they know who is working their department.

I know exactly what you mean about getting enough hours in £150-£200 on days is a difficult ask in a week with a temporary contract anyways tbh, I'm stuggling and I'm on nights lol
Reply 78
Had my Asda magic assesment yesterday.
There were 8 of us, I think everyone got offered a job lol.
Can anyone please tell me more about the different departments? Grocery and Chilled Products are pretty self-explanatory.. but Customer Services? There's an awful lot of vacancies at a store for Customer Services...
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending