The Student Room Group

Salters Chemistry F335- June Exam

How is everyone finding the course so far? If you've finished the course, how are you revising?

I've pretty much finished the course, so next week I'll be working through Chemical Storylines. wooooooop.

How I revise Chemistry:

- Work through storylines, reading through it and doing the assignments
- When any Chemical Ideas pop up that it tells you to do in Storylines, I go through them, making notes and then do the questions
- Read through CGP, and learn the practical techniques (GLC, recrystallisation, etc...)
- Learn the organic reactions
- Do all of the past papers

Seems to work, I'm doing pretty well so far.

Scroll to see replies

This is pretty much how I go about it. However I use the Revision guides done by the same people who wrote the text books. I personally find the CGP ones don't do it for me and its helpful to have all the relevant page numbers for Chemical Ideas/ Storylines in with the revision stuff.
Original post by drunkensailor258
This is pretty much how I go about it. However I use the Revision guides done by the same people who wrote the text books. I personally find the CGP ones don't do it for me and its helpful to have all the relevant page numbers for Chemical Ideas/ Storylines in with the revision stuff.

Which revision guides are they?
Reply 3
Should be finished in the next couple of weeks.

I've gone off chemistry a bit if the truth be told and I need about 18/120 in the last exam for an A so I don't think I'll put to much work into revising. I need to focus on Maths really to make sure I meet my offer.

I also use the Salters revision guides rather then the CGP ones. Pretty much links the two books together and I've yet to find something not in the 2 revision guides that are in the storylines/ideas. I tend copy out the revision guide and revise from my notes. This time I'll make flow chart/diagrams for the Nitrogen cycle and all the organic stuff as well because I'm useless at remembering stuff like that.

Original post by I'mBadAtMaths
Which revision guides are they?

http://www.waterstones.com/waterstonesweb/products/dave+newton/chris+otter/alasdair+thorpe/kay+stephenson/revise+a2+for+salters/6653808/

http://www.waterstones.com/waterstonesweb/products/lesley+johnston/dave+newton/chris+otter/alasdair+thorpe/kay+stephenson/revise+as+for+salters/6305053/

It'd be worth buying the AS one as well tbh. The A2 one links to the AS one quite a lot and since the last exam is synoptic it would be quite useful to have them both.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Ollie901
Should be finished in the next couple of weeks.

I've gone off chemistry a bit if the truth be told and I need about 18/120 in the last exam for an A so I don't think I'll put to much work into revising. I need to focus on Maths really to make sure I meet my offer.

I also use the Salters revision guides rather then the CGP ones. Pretty much links the two books together and I've yet to find something not in the 2 revision guides that are in the storylines/ideas. I tend copy out the revision guide and revise from my notes. This time I'll make flow chart/diagrams for the Nitrogen cycle and all the organic stuff as well because I'm useless at remembering stuff like that.

http://www.waterstones.com/waterstonesweb/products/dave+newton/chris+otter/alasdair+thorpe/kay+stephenson/revise+a2+for+salters/6653808/

http://www.waterstones.com/waterstonesweb/products/lesley+johnston/dave+newton/chris+otter/alasdair+thorpe/kay+stephenson/revise+as+for+salters/6305053/

It'd be worth buying the AS one as well tbh. The A2 one links to the AS one quite a lot and since the last exam is synoptic it would be quite useful to have them both.

Cheers for the links

You need 18/120 for an A? Nice man, what did you get in the other modules?
How is everyone finding the course so far? If you've finished the course, how are you revising?

I've pretty much finished the course, so next week I'll be working through Chemical Storylines. wooooooop.

How I revise Chemistry:

- When any Chemical Ideas pop up that it tells you to do in Storylines, I go through them, making notes and then do the questions
- Read through CGP, and learn the practical techniques (GLC, recrystallisation, etc...)

Do you know the date of the exam? I don't go to school and can't find the date anywhere :frown:
Original post by microfatcat
Do you know the date of the exam? I don't go to school and can't find the date anywhere :frown:

Wednesday 15th June. 1 PM.
Reply 7
does anyone have the jan 2011 paper?? i cant find it :frown:
Reply 8
Original post by 04rair
does anyone have the jan 2011 paper?? i cant find it :frown:

I'm not sure there is one.

They don't always do a january exam for this module since it tends to be the last exam people take before they leave so nobody resits it.
Reply 9
Cheers for the links

You need 18/120 for an A? Nice man, what did you get in the other modules?

90/90 in unit 1
143/150 in unit 2
57/60 in the AS coursework
87/90 in unit 4
high A on coursework, not entirely sure on mark yet.

So yeah between about 15 and 25 to get in the last exam depending on coursework. :smile:

Shouldn't be too much of an issue :tongue:
Reply 10
Original post by Ollie901
I'm not sure there is one.

They don't always do a january exam for this module since it tends to be the last exam people take before they leave so nobody resits it.

Hey I asked my teacher and there is a jan 2011 paper, once I get hold of it I'll upload it x
Reply 11
Have you found it yet?
If possible could you upload it please :smile:?
Thanks.
Reply 12
I need something like a very high D to get an A overall so I haven't been taking this module seriously at all :frown:

That chemistry investigation was the bane of my life for a good 3 weeks, but I genuinely did miss the practical sessions after though, had some funny times xD
Reply 13

How I revise Chemistry:

DAMN so thats you your suppose to revise chemistry... I normally only use chemical ideas hardly use storyline, no wonder I failed f334 in Jan =p Anyone else got any other tips
Original post by kinkin
DAMN so thats you your suppose to revise chemistry... I normally only use chemical ideas hardly use storyline, no wonder I failed f334 in Jan =p Anyone else got any other tips

Use the salters revision guide when you realise that you're behind, it has all the key bits of info and cuts out the bullc**p. and do tons of papers
Reply 15
Original post by tkoki1993
Use the salters revision guide when you realise that you're behind, it has all the key bits of info and cuts out the bullc**p. and do tons of papers

Aint got the salters revision guide and I think its too late to get it anyway less than 3 weeks away... I'll just have to stick with chemical ideas and do it the old fashion way learn EVERYTHING LOL. Thanks for the speedy gonzales response :biggrin:
Reply 16
Original post by brosexual
I need something like a very high D to get an A overall so I haven't been taking this module seriously at all :frown:

That chemistry investigation was the bane of my life for a good 3 weeks, but I genuinely did miss the practical sessions after though, had some funny times xD

Same (well for both parts). For some reason though I am worried I won't get a high D on this exam which I know I shouldn't be I guess it's just me not wanting to be complacent more than anything else.
Original post by kinkin
Aint got the salters revision guide and I think its too late to get it anyway less than 3 weeks away... I'll just have to stick with chemical ideas and do it the old fashion way learn EVERYTHING LOL. Thanks for the speedy gonzales response :biggrin:

thats enough time... go to waterstones or summin, read through the book withing 2 days then do every past paper. That got me from failing chemistry to just scrapping an A :biggrin:
Reply 18
Original post by tkoki1993
thats enough time... go to waterstones or summin, read through the book withing 2 days then do every past paper. That got me from failing chemistry to just scrapping an A :biggrin:

OMG! *SLAPS HEAD* I've got that book but for the old specification I got one with x-ray of man using thumbs up sign, is that the same book?
Original post by kinkin
OMG! *SLAPS HEAD* I've got that book but for the old specification I got one with x-ray of man using thumbs up sign, is that the same book?

errrr im not sure lool. is it by Dave newton, Chris otter, Kay stephenson and Alasdair thorpe?

Quick Reply

Latest