The Student Room Group

Higher Art & Design 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
The jewellery question almost got me, it was about contrast and my two designers have very similar work. But overall I'm pretty happy with what I wrote - I could have added some more though. Why is that exam so short?
Original post by marc93
Hmmm, I did Portraiture and Product design... confused by portraiture being photography and a1950's something Mini for Product Design! Thought the Mini was a challenge and didn't do great. Felt the same about the portrait at first but think I did ok in it in the end. Once I started it was fine!

What does everyone else think?

I done the mini too ! it wasnt too bad but i just kept repeating the words funky and quirky design :P

i did natural environment too which was alright :smile:
i didn't finish my second essay for product design though and was scribbling until the last second and could still think of loads i could have written.
fingers crossed for my A though :colondollar:
Reply 62
Who the heck picked the Still life - were they blind? :wink:

I wrote 19 pages! Was a bit embarrassing asking for extra paper...
Reply 63
Original post by Albertine

It could have been worse. I saw a past paper and the still life was a teacup, saucer and spoon wrapped in fur. :/ Not even a painting. I would have been screwed if we got something like that.
Reply 64
I wrote 12 pages or something but my writings small in comparison to most peoples. I done natural environment and jewellary design. I had some extra points in my head for all my essays but i just didn't have the time to write them all down. My teacher said under no circumstances try things you haven`t practiced. However, when i seen the mini question i was very tempted. Although it would have left me struggling in the part b question. I would have liked to do the mini as a have alot of personal interest in the cars-after all there in many good films like the italian job. how did you find the test? What questions did you do and how many pages did you get down? As usual i'm never confident with the exams which seem as though there a race against time appose to what you have learned. To the person above who had to ask for additional paper your writing must be huge. Eithier that or you must be darn fast at writing as i was sitting in a hall with 200+ other candidates and there must've been about 1 who asked for additional paper. btw can anyone remember the name of the designer in part a) of the jewellary design question?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 65
My goodness. I wrote eleven pages, but it was all rubbish. I did Fashion Design and Figure Composition, and I think I did alright in Figure Composition, but the Fashion Design was a disaster. The shoes were horrible, first of all, and for part b) I had to write about why they were revolutionary, and I honestly couldn't remember for the life of me why they were.
But hopefully I'll still get at least a B, because my portfolio was pretty good.

i wrote loads too !
i filled the book then about 5 pages ? however much that was :smile:
my writing is huge though so its not that much really by my hand was aching by the end
and the invidulator took ages getting more paper too :eek:
Reply 67
Original post by TEX1
btw can anyone remember the name of the designer in part a) of the jewellary design question?

Dorothy Hogg (2005)
Reply 68
Original post by marc93
Dorothy Hogg (2005)

Thankyou very much i wanted to look her up on google to see if she falls into the art noveau style as i guessed and tried to prove in my essay.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 69
Hello, did anyone write about the portraiture piece? I found it so difficult.
I usually write a lot about the symbolism but the question didn't seem to ask about that... Hmmm...
Hope everyone did well, anyway :smile: Lovex
Reply 70
Original post by littleliongirl<3
i wrote loads too !
i filled the book then about 5 pages ? however much that was :smile:
my writing is huge though so its not that much really by my hand was aching by the end
and the invidulator took ages getting more paper too :eek:

I always ask before I actually run out so I can keep writing while they get the paper - but then you have to re write your flipping details!!
I always ask before I actually run out so I can keep writing while they get the paper - but then you have to re write your flipping details!!

i know writting out your details again takes up so much time :eek:
but i left that until the end and i then went back when she said pens down
but she didn't realise i was only writing my details like she told me ! and was like PENS DOWN!!!! :angry:
she was a bitch though :P
Reply 72
Original post by Lannie447
Hello, did anyone write about the portraiture piece? I found it so difficult.
I usually write a lot about the symbolism but the question didn't seem to ask about that... Hmmm...
Hope everyone did well, anyway :smile: Lovex

I wrote on portraiture, and I agree it was a rather difficult one to talk about. I spent 20 minutes on it, and still, I didn't write more than two pages for that part.
what else did you do? I did graphic design.
Reply 73
Original post by Martyna156
I wrote on portraiture, and I agree it was a rather difficult one to talk about. I spent 20 minutes on it, and still, I didn't write more than two pages for that part.

I know it's easier said than done but don't worry about it. The writing is based on quality not just quantity. :smile:
Reply 74

Hey, Martyna.
I did Graphic Design too! Although it wasn't brilliant, I can't complain about the design :smile: I wrote enough and I also quite liked it :smile: I did only notice that it was a magazine about an ART studio after I'd finished writing, I think I could have gotten one or two more marks for that... But I did really like both part B questions (they were pretty vague) so, really, the only bad bit was the portraiture...
:smile:
Reply 75
Original post by Lannie447
Hey, Martyna.
I did Graphic Design too! Although it wasn't brilliant, I can't complain about the design :smile: I wrote enough and I also quite liked it :smile: I did only notice that it was a magazine about an ART studio after I'd finished writing, I think I could have gotten one or two more marks for that... But I did really like both part B questions (they were pretty vague) so, really, the only bad bit was the portraiture...
:smile:

I just want the results. I'm sick of 6th year, already :L
I just want the results. I'm sick of 6th year, already :L

you basically just summed up how i feel right now :tongue:
i hate sixth year so far but thats probably because we haven't started anything yet and i cant wait for summer even though im bricking getting my results lol
Reply 77
Original post by littleliongirl<3
you basically just summed up how i feel right now :tongue:
i hate sixth year so far but thats probably because we haven't started anything yet and i cant wait for summer even though im bricking getting my results lol

I hate it, too. I hate all my new classes, well maybe except AH English. but the rest is meh. I just want to know my results, so I can decide what I can drop. I'm bricking it, too. But I hope it will be alright.
Reply 78
I just found a while back that Dorothy Hogg the jewellary Design involved in the 2011 Art & Design paper visited one of the best schools in glagow namely Hutchesons Grammer in Jan 2011. If only my parents had the money to send me to that school i would have had insider knowledge and thus a leg up when writing about her during the exam. Now i know why people who can affoard it go to private schools. I really feel Dorothy should've visited public school where inwhich she could've given candidates a leg up who are in most need. No disrespect to people in private schools who's parents and relatives are worth a mint but they certainly do not need as much help as those in public schools. Although perhaps Mrs Hogg was paid to visit inwhich i don't blame her for taking up the offer.
Reply 79
How did everyone get on? I got the A I hoped for but wasn't sure I'd got! Hope you all did well.

Quick Reply

Latest