The Student Room Group

Vac Schemes 2012: The early bird catches the firm!

Scroll to see replies

That is a serious put down.
Original post by Bob Loblaw
I got an offer for Bakers with a 2.2 in one of my modules and a low 2.1 average in first year. Similarly, a close friend got one from Slaughters with a 2.2, so as you say it counts against you but doesn't automatically stop you from succeeding. My friend and I both go to a top, top university though, so maybe that helped?

What constitutes as a "top top university" btw? Also was this for a Law degree?
Original post by eve_22
I have friends who got VS's with 2.2's at MC and SC firms, so, although it isn't exactly common, it definitely does happen.

Also, I hope you won't mind me giving you a piece of advice. I think that, as a first year who is about to start applying for VS's, you should listen to the advice you're given a bit more and argue against it a little bit less.

You clearly have very strong opinions, as displayed in your other threads (I am thinking specifically of the one where you've started a debate on whether it is harder to get a VS as a law student) but some of the statements you make are a little silly and very badly thought through. As such, given the careeer path which you hope to pursue, I think you need to think a bit more before you say/write something for the rest to consider/read. For your own benefit, I genuinely hope you do not behave like that in your interviews.

Thanks darling, I've taken your advice on board and I definitely think more before I speak all the time now. It's helped me a lot and hopefully it will help me to get a TC or VS. I hope you don't think less of me from my posts, but like I said, it was just food for thought for this subforum which is sometimes quite dry.

Anyway, please keep posting in my threads as your advice is always good and you've been through the process yourself and as such are a very weighty voice on the forum.
(edited 12 years ago)
Ahhh!! I've just started my first application for a summer placement with a highstreet firm in Cambridge. Nervous!!! I can't believe VS applications have come round so soon.
Reply 84
Ha, I was just about to post how annoying it is that nowhere opens in summer, they all wait until october/november. Clearly I wasn't looking hard enough!
Original post by Sam o0o
Ha, I was just about to post how annoying it is that nowhere opens in summer, they all wait until october/november. Clearly I wasn't looking hard enough!

I have only managed to find 2/3 small highstreet firms that are accepting applications now. I figured, if nothing else, it will be good form-filling practice for vs's that open later.
Reply 86
Hey guys, I have a quick question.

Although this may sound immensely stupid, do vacation schemes accept applications from non-Law degree students? I ask because although I am not studying Law at university, I plan on converting afterwards.

I know this is the case with one Law firm I checked with, but I'm just wondering whether it's the same for all of them, or if it's generally only for Law students.

Thank you.
Original post by k3ro
Hey guys, I have a quick question.

Although this may sound immensely stupid, do vacation schemes accept applications from non-Law degree students? I ask because although I am not studying Law at university, I plan on converting afterwards.

I know this is the case with one Law firm I checked with, but I'm just wondering whether it's the same for all of them, or if it's generally only for Law students.

Thank you.

The majority of firms accept applications for VS's from non-law students. The main difference between the application process for non-law students and law students is that some firms don't accept vs applications from non-law students until they are in their third year.
Reply 88
Original post by laura_802
The majority of firms accept applications for VS's from non-law students. The main difference between the application process for non-law students and law students is that some firms don't accept vs applications from non-law students until they are in their third year.

That's great, thanks for the info. :smile: One last question - apologies for the ignorance - but if I were to apply in my third year, would the vacation scheme be during the summer of my fourth year? Or would I apply at the beginning of my third year, to be completed during the summer of my third year? (I've kind of been thrown by this thread, because I thought that applications were November-ish time, with January deadlines for placements around July, yet it's July now and you're all already applying. :s-smilie: )
Original post by k3ro
That's great, thanks for the info. :smile: One last question - apologies for the ignorance - but if I were to apply in my third year, would the vacation scheme be during the summer of my fourth year? Or would I apply at the beginning of my third year, to be completed during the summer of my third year? (I've kind of been thrown by this thread, because I thought that applications were November-ish time, with January deadlines for placements around July, yet it's July now and you're all already applying. :s-smilie: )

Lol relax. We're not all applying. I think most people on this thread are trying to suss out how people in a similar position are preparing at the moment. Normally you can apply from October/November of your second or third year to complete a placement in the summer of the same year you applied.

Some firms also offer vacation schemes during the Christmas and Easter break.

Tbh, the best advice anyone here could give you at the moment is to do as much research as possible. TSR is useful, but reading about specific firms and their recruitment processes would probably also be beneficial to you :smile: x
Reply 90
Lol relax. We're not all applying. I think most people on this thread are trying to suss out how people in a similar position are preparing at the moment. Normally you can apply from October/November of your second or third year to complete a placement in the summer of the same year you applied.

Some firms also offer vacation schemes during the Christmas and Easter break.

Tbh, the best advice anyone here could give you at the moment is to do as much research as possible. TSR is useful, but reading about specific firms and their recruitment processes would probably also be beneficial to you :smile: x

Haha, thank you. :biggrin:

Already doing so! As I type this I have tabs open for vac schemes... My main concern is that for my degree, my third year is spent in the USA - which is a slight setback. xD I guess I'll see if anywhere accepts applications from fourth year students, or if any will make an exception for a second year student.

Thanks again!
Original post by k3ro
Haha, thank you. :biggrin:

Already doing so! As I type this I have tabs open for vac schemes... My main concern is that for my degree, my third year is spent in the USA - which is a slight setback. xD I guess I'll see if anywhere accepts applications from fourth year students, or if any will make an exception for a second year student.

Thanks again!

Sorry my previous post was perhaps slightly misleading. By 'third year' I meant final year. You will of course be able to apply for VS in the October/November after you return from the USA.
Reply 92
Sorry my previous post was perhaps slightly misleading. By 'third year' I meant final year. You will of course be able to apply for VS in the October/November after you return from the USA.

Oh, thanks for clearing that up for me. Probably should have mentioned my degree is a four year one. :rolleyes: Thanks again and good luck with your applications!
Hi people,

This may seem an extremely anal point, but I was wondering, as I did my A-Levels years ago prior to the introduction of the A* grade (2008) - is there anyway that I can get my results re-certificated? I am 99% sure that I would have two A*s if I took them today (my tutor worked it out from my results)

I know this is a bit of a ridiculous idea, but to be honest, considering the competition, and that the fact I started uni late, I'm probably going to be appyling with people who have scored loads starred grades. Does anyone have any slight idea if this is possible because I can't find any info anywhere, nor on the exam board websites.
Original post by chriswalker
Hi people,

This may seem an extremely anal point, but I was wondering, as I did my A-Levels years ago prior to the introduction of the A* grade (2008) - is there anyway that I can get my results re-certificated? I am 99% sure that I would have two A*s if I took them today (my tutor worked it out from my results)

I know this is a bit of a ridiculous idea, but to be honest, considering the competition, and that the fact I started uni late, I'm probably going to be appyling with people who have scored loads starred grades. Does anyone have any slight idea if this is possible because I can't find any info anywhere, nor on the exam board websites.

No, you can't.

When I started Uni there were a few people who had taken a couple of gap years and thus hadn't had 'AS' levels (ah, the olden days) back then. It doesn't make the blindest bit of difference. If you can find a way of mentioning how well you did in the exam - eg. if you came top in the country and got a certificate or something - in your written form and want to bring it up, be my guest. However, you will be writing down the year in which you did the exams, so they'll know an A* wasn't 'possible' then. Graduate recruitment officers spend their lives looking at this stuff, they know full well which year we went from "O" levels to GCSEs, from "A" levels to "AS"s and "A2"s, and likewise they will know that the lack of a star is in no way a suggestion that you didn't get the top grade :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Bob Loblaw
I secured two vac schemes with very good firms in spite of some irregular first year marks. I only did three modules, but got a low first in one, a low 2.1 in the second, and a mid-2.2 in the third for an average of 63%. You should be fine.

Which two firms were these vac scheme with??
Reply 96
Okay I've finished a shortlist of 15 firms, and a few more that I'll email closer to the time to see if they'll accept an application from a penultimate year non-lawyer. Going mainly for massive city firms, quite a few no hopers in there (Cleary, Freshfields etc) but there's no harm in trying.

Already sent one form off, but I didn't check if my app will even be accepted so that might have been a few hours wasted. Hope everyones research etc is going well. Anyone sent any applications off yet?
Original post by chriswalker
Hi people,

No unfortunately not!

I took my A Levels in 2008 and scored 98% overall in all three of them, but they are only graded AAA. For applciations for open days etc. I have always mentioned I scored 98% overall in each of them, which is equivalent to the A*. It it annoying though.

Plus, I took Advanced Extension Awards too in two of my A Levels, but these qualifications were removed when the A* was introduced.
Original post by Sam o0o
Okay I've finished a shortlist of 15 firms, and a few more that I'll email closer to the time to see if they'll accept an application from a penultimate year non-lawyer. Going mainly for massive city firms, quite a few no hopers in there (Cleary, Freshfields etc) but there's no harm in trying.

Already sent one form off, but I didn't check if my app will even be accepted so that might have been a few hours wasted. Hope everyones research etc is going well. Anyone sent any applications off yet?

Sorry, just to clarify, why are you sending applications off already? Are you talking about vacation schemes for 2012? Are these firms with rolling applications?
Original post by Israel - Fisherman
Which two firms were these vac scheme with??

That poster probably got the vacation schemes before the recession...

Quick Reply