The Student Room Group

Leicester Medical School Applicants 2012 :)

Poll

Combined UKCAT and academics score out of 60?

Anyone thinking of applying here? I think its pretty much definite for me.

After looking at this document, I'm pretty certain! And the university does look lovely, and the course seems perfect for me - a good mixture of stuff going on :smile:

I hope there isn't already a thread for this, but I had a quick look!

EDIT: Seeing as its so easy to find out what we'd all get, thought I'd add the UKCAT and academics scoring to a poll. Its in the document I posted above how to find it, but its:

The best 6 GCSEs including Science, English and Maths will be scored as follows:
A* = 5
A = 4
B = 3
C = 2
D = 1

ADDED ONTO

UKCAT will be scored according to total as follows:
3000+ = 30
2900+ = 29
2800+ = 28
2700+ = 27
Etc.
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yep I'll be applying to Leicester this year too! Any idea how heavily they look at the written thing you do on interview day?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by hookguy
Yep I'll be applying to Leicester this year too! Any idea how heavily they look at the written thing you do on interview day?

Well, I'm guessing that they mark each station out of the same amount, so I'd have thought it'll have an equal weighting with each other part of te interview. Do you know what the other stations are?
Reply 3
I think I'm applying to leicester :biggrin:..if UKCAT goes well....
Reply 4
Btw do you know if unis can give you an offer of AAB instead of AAA if they really really like you?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Erotas
Btw do you know if unis can predict you AAB instead of AAA if they really really like you?

Unis don't predict your grades :s-smilie: its your school that predicts your A2 grades?
Reply 6
Original post by twelve
Unis don't predict your grades :s-smilie: its your school that predicts your A2 grades?

WOOPS! I meant can they give you an offer of AAB :P sorrrry haha
And I mean if they like you as in you've got a high UKCAT and lots of work experience and generally impress them. Is it possible that they could lower their minimim offer stated on ucas?
(edited 12 years ago)
what do you guys reckon would be the cut-off out of 90?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by twelve
Well, I'm guessing that they mark each station out of the same amount, so I'd have thought it'll have an equal weighting with each other part of te interview. Do you know what the other stations are?

Not a clue, the whole mini interview thing is new for this year.
Reply 9
Original post by Erotas
WOOPS! I meant can they give you an offer of AAB :P sorrrry haha
And I mean if they like you as in you've got a high UKCAT and lots of work experience and generally impress them. Is it possible that they could lower their minimim offer stated on ucas?

Ahh, no its very unlikely. If they state that their minimum offer is AAA, then thats the minimum. Besides, you'd have to be amazing at everything to do that - as in, really high UKCAT, learnt lots from work experience, and have a good academic track record. And if you've got previously good academics, then there's no reason you can't get higher than AAA, so there'd be no point giving an offer lower than that.
Applied here last year and got an interivew, but was then put on a waiting list and then rejected :frown:.

Considering applying again but the new addmissions system doesn't really seem to be in my favour, I am sceptical about getting an interivew, as they only look at ps etc after the interview stage. As an HCA with AAA at A level i'm not sure Leicester would be the wisest choice.
Reply 11
Original post by Steerforth
Applied here last year and got an interivew, but was then put on a waiting list and then rejected :frown:.

Considering applying again but the new addmissions system doesn't really seem to be in my favour, I am sceptical about getting an interivew, as they only look at ps etc after the interview stage. As an HCA with AAA at A level i'm not sure Leicester would be the wisest choice.

What was your UKCAT?
Original post by twelve
What was your UKCAT?

642.5 average, but I'm obviously hoping to get better this time around!
Reply 13
lol and so it starts all over again! good luck :smile:
Would anyone know if the the best 6 GCSEs including Science, English and Maths they look at include English Language and English Literature as two separate GCSEs.. and likewise with taking GCSE Biology, Chemistry and Physics separately? P.s I'm hoping to apply for 2012 entry and my UKCAT isn't all that great.. average 642.5 total 2570.. according to their 2012 admissions I should get a 25/30 for the UKCAT section.. is that putting me at a great disadvantage.. so confused :frown:
I was certain to put leciester amongst my top 4 but at the last minute, I discovered they use stations as part of your interview, then I went a little like this: :sad: :frown: :s-smilie: :angry: :wtf:

I can't remember, do they love the UKCAT?
It's now dropped into my maybe list currently at #2 :redface:
Reply 16
Do they look at your personal statement before they interview? I can't remember which one now, but one uni said at the open day that the interviewers won't have read the ps before :l
Reply 17
Original post by The Polar Dude
I was certain to put leciester amongst my top 4 but at the last minute, I discovered they use stations as part of your interview, then I went a little like this: :sad: :frown: :s-smilie: :angry: :wtf:

I can't remember, do they love the UKCAT?
It's now dropped into my maybe list currently at #2 :redface:

What's wrong with the stations? I want to know if they love ukcat too. I know they score like 3000 + is 30/30 2900+ is 29/30 etc but is that all they do with the ukcat?
Original post by Erotas
What's wrong with the stations? I want to know if they love ukcat too. I know they score like 3000 + is 30/30 2900+ is 29/30 etc but is that all they do with the ukcat?

I think its not natural because you are being watched plus the additional pressure will be present
I prefer the standard 1 to 1 interviews, that's why I crossed of SGUL on my list
Original post by Erotas

I remember reading somewhere they just score you out of 30 like you mentioned and then combining that with GCSE's and personal statement (I think) you get a score out of 90. There is a cut off out of 90 which you have to meet in order to qualify for an interview.. so I'm assuming unless they use your scores again after interview, they only use it to interview applicants..

Quick Reply