The Student Room Group

Dropped out of uni..lost :(

I started University in September 2011 at Manchester Met away from home studying psychology. Couldn't wait for the experience etc for the best part of 2 years, although tbh when i got there it wasn't as great as I expected. I made a couple of really good friends who I have kept in touch with (dropped out just after christmas) and really loved the city etc the nightlife but I actually hated my course. I've always wanted to be a psychologist and think deep down maybes I still do, just how poorly the course was structured (we recieved no seminars, workshops, tutorials AT ALL!) Literally just 7 hours of lectures a week from which I learnt next to nothing and found it hard to motivate myself etc due to such a poorly organized course - I literally couldnt believe I wasn't getting anything other than lectures and was performing very poorly so the day before I was meant to go back in January I called it a day. I definately want to go back to University in September but I have no clue what to do, I still like the idea of being a psychologist I just feel as If the course at Manchester put me off massively. Working full time for now behind a desk isn't particularly appealing to me and the thought of doing it for the rest of my life doesn't exactly have me doing backflips. I've applied for Business Marketing in September because I feel I would be good at it but don't have a clue what Job I'm expecting to get out of it or where I want to go. I like a big city with goodnight life but the course has to be right, just feel as if I have absolutely no future at the moment with nothing concrete to be honest :frown:.
Original post by -Josh-B-
I started University in September 2011 at Manchester Met away from home studying psychology. Couldn't wait for the experience etc for the best part of 2 years, although tbh when i got there it wasn't as great as I expected. I made a couple of really good friends who I have kept in touch with (dropped out just after christmas) and really loved the city etc the nightlife but I actually hated my course. I've always wanted to be a psychologist and think deep down maybes I still do, just how poorly the course was structured (we recieved no seminars, workshops, tutorials AT ALL!) Literally just 7 hours of lectures a week from which I learnt next to nothing and found it hard to motivate myself etc due to such a poorly organized course - I literally couldnt believe I wasn't getting anything other than lectures and was performing very poorly so the day before I was meant to go back in January I called it a day. I definately want to go back to University in September but I have no clue what to do, I still like the idea of being a psychologist I just feel as If the course at Manchester put me off massively. Working full time for now behind a desk isn't particularly appealing to me and the thought of doing it for the rest of my life doesn't exactly have me doing backflips. I've applied for Business Marketing in September because I feel I would be good at it but don't have a clue what Job I'm expecting to get out of it or where I want to go. I like a big city with goodnight life but the course has to be right, just feel as if I have absolutely no future at the moment with nothing concrete to be honest :frown:.

What A levels did you do? And what grades did you get? Where do you plan to study Business Marketing?
I had to drop out of university before I even started, I know how hard it can be. For the first few months you'll feel like crap but once you start on a daily routine (e.g. working, which you've already done; or perhaps organising going back to university), you'll feel better and realise there's a bright future ahead of you.

What I suggest is doing a bit of research to find out if it's just that one course in that university which was terrible. You might enjoy it in another university! Do a bit of research on this kind of stuff and see which university would definetely suit you. You might find one which has great people, great lectures, etc. I wouldn't suggest giving up on your dream just because of Manchester Met.

Sorry if this advice isn't helpful to you. Good luck! :smile:
Reply 3
i knw what u mean by finding it hard to motivate yourself ..i strted uni in sept 2011 and i sometimes wonder what we pay em for ...anyhow i jus think you should change the course bc you didnt like it @ manchester met - u hated how there was not help, you enjoy psychology and want to bcme a psychology -thts your light at the end of the tunnel Focus on it when you do study/your application for 2012.
you shouldnt give up like u did by dropping out...its a difficult situation not getting help in your lecs, seminars etc but u struggle , u try hard (even if it means having to read a book as soon as tht lec is over bc there wasnt any learning frm a lecturer who is speaking BS bout themselves lol) and at the end of this semesters u bcme the better person a stronger person who can say they knw what they r doin on their course and credit yourself not the those lecturers.

thts what keeps me motivated :smile:
Original post by iturhs
i knw what u mean by finding it hard to motivate yourself ..i strted uni in sept 2011 and i sometimes wonder what we pay em for ...anyhow i jus think you should change the course bc you didnt like it @ manchester met - u hated how there was not help, you enjoy psychology and want to bcme a psychology -thts your light at the end of the tunnel Focus on it when you do study/your application for 2012.
you shouldnt give up like u did by dropping out...its a difficult situation not getting help in your lecs, seminars etc but u struggle , u try hard (even if it means having to read a book as soon as tht lec is over bc there wasnt any learning frm a lecturer who is speaking BS bout themselves lol) and at the end of this semesters u bcme the better person a stronger person who can say they knw what they r doin on their course and credit yourself not the those lecturers.

thts what keeps me motivated :smile:

I would advise that you buy a new keyboard - it would appear that a number of keys, including the apostrophe key, are not working, and others (particularly vowels, and the shift / caps lock) are only working intermittently.

New ones can be bought relatively cheaply from many retailers, such as Amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004LR879Y/ref=asc_df_B004LR879Y6795592?smid=A1AUCPBF2P18HS&tag=googlecouk06-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22218&creativeASIN=B004LR879Y
Reply 5
Original post by Origami Bullets
I would advise that you buy a new keyboard - it would appear that a number of keys, including the apostrophe key, are not working, and others (particularly vowels, and the shift / caps lock) are only working intermittently.

New ones can be bought relatively cheaply from many retailers, such as Amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004LR879Y/ref=asc_df_B004LR879Y6795592?smid=A1AUCPBF2P18HS&tag=googlecouk06-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22218&creativeASIN=B004LR879Y

Is it me or are u a prune! (aka IDIOT). Who cares if sum1 misses out sum vowels, or doesnt put in any apostrophes, at least it was eligible. This is the second / third time ive seen sum1 post trash like this. So get a life and stop try to recorrect every1 elses writing / shorthand
Do Open University. They have a psychology degree.

http://www3.open.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/psychology/index.htm
Reply 7
Original post by -Josh-B-

The truth is most degree courses have an emphasis on lectures in the first year with some universities also adding in seminar sessions. Tutorials are usually three times or so a term though it can vary down to one. So be braced for much less one to one or even small group work. The second and third years often reduce lectures and start to emphasise seminar groups. Again this can vary. Make sure you look at the modules for your degree over the three years and this will give you an idea of the split between lectures/seminar groups and how they are structuring it.

Business marketing obviously appealed to you when you applied but you also sound as if you have a hankering after psychology.

It is up to you in the end. However more research into the longer term rather than the short term would benefit you and help you not only to decide what is best right now but would give you a motivation to get through any sticky patches.

So what do you do with business marketing? Start researching the prospects and the type of jobs these graduates obtain. If you don't think its right for you consider Extra or clearing.

Good luck with choosing

:smile:

Arrogant sod.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9

This is extremely late but i wana let u knw that i was in a rush typing my comment but i wanted to b of help so i typed it real quick, in Shorthandd!! IF it had botherd the orginal post, my comment would hve bn questioned. Or you dont understand it then just ask/comment

Im going to remember u when i text on my phone nw, im going to hve to fix my phone too! loool

[ i didnt knw i was submitting a piece of work that would be Scrutinised on a forum where ppl type (shortening words like don't to dont) ]

SORRY for causing so much annoyance to you.

Quick Reply

Latest