The Student Room Group

What's your idea of good GCSE grades?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Good GCSES are not even required unless you want to go to Oxford/Cambridge... Most universities just require Maths and English.

For example, I got an offer from Durham with 4 GCSES. :redface:

A Levels are far more important.
I don't think much of people who have A*s at English GCSE (and I've got one- quite ashamed!)....so for me, there aren't really good GCSEs....we do not know whether a B is the stupid people (i.e. me with Maths/Science) or the Matildas who finally gave up.
Reply 22
I think good grades at GCSE are A*-B really and if I got a mixture of these grades i would be super happy!
I think it depends entirely on the person. For me, good grades would be knowing that I have tried my hardest and will happily accept the grade that happens to be :smile:
Depends in the student, their ability and career choice.
Original post by Azarimanka
Minimum 6-7A* no more than one B.

I honestly fail to understand how some people are so stupid that they get ANY Cs and below unless there are personal reasons involved.

Okay, so with 8A*s, 6As and a C, I must be stupid?
My C was from foundation French in year 9.

Mostly Bs = Good
Mostly As= Rather good
Mostly A*s = Very good.
Cs don't mean someone is stupid.
(edited 12 years ago)
Minimum 6-7A* no more than one B.

I honestly fail to understand how some people are so stupid that they get ANY Cs and below unless there are personal reasons involved.

Everything I got a C in was for foundation (6 Cs).
Everything I did higher in I got Bs or above (2 As, 4 bs).

My teacher never gave me a chance tbh.
Reply 27
I'd say at least 5A*'s with the rest A's- and the odd few B's are ok too. But mainly A*'s and A's.
People are always going to have massively varying opinions, simply because the GCSE results are so different depending on the school you go to.

Some schools will boast in a prospectus that 80%+ of their students get all A* and A grades and other schools proudly quote their number of "good passes" (C-A*).

The national average is around a C and it is often a minimum requirement for university.
Most universities also know it's hard to gauge a candidate based on GCSEs and they only make up part of the picture in any case.

What universities are starting to realise is it's more about how well you do relative to other people in your school.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 29
If you consider yourself smart but get anything less than straight A's then you are a failure.

If someone asks you what you got for your GCSEs and you reply with a number of GSCEs rather than the number of A's and A*s then I'm guessing you didn't try all that hard to begin with so it's ok.
Reply 30
I'd say B's are pretty standard and A's and above are 'good' GCSE's, mainly because when applying for things such as jobs and some university courses they want you to have 'at least' a B in Maths/English/Science.

I got A*s-B's in all my GCSEs and to be completely honest I didn't revise one bit and pretty much dossed all my years at school, on the other hand my sister got D's and below in all of her GCSE exams, some people just aren't great academically, which is a shame when so much emphasis is put on education nowadays and it's hard to get anywhere without the basic grades. Makes me feel guilty that I've always managed to get decent grades without trying while others struggle and put so much revision in just to scrape by with passes.
Are 3 A*s, 5A s and 4B s good?
Generally speaking As and Bs. I'm aiming to get mainly Bs in my GCSEs but yeah mainly As and Bs I'd say. Everyone has different opinions but i think it's mainly these.
B in English Language, Maths, and Sciences (Triple, Double, Single) are good 8)
Reply 34
But GCSEs are Piss easy. I screwed up in my opinion - I got 2As and 1B along with 8A*. I suppose if you are just going to leave school **** grades are fine

Yes, maybe the subject content isn't very difficult. However, i'm going to admit that i find juggling 10 different subject into a week, (some of which i don't like) difficult.

I also think that unless you get lucky, getting A*s do actually take a fair amount of effort.

Not everyone is from a privilaged backround, and with little motivation some people do not get any support whilst studying.
Not everyone who gets "bad" marks is stupid anyway, there is also a certain "skill" to knowing what a sometimes very specific markscheme want.
To some extent, untill i got a gigantic E for an art sketchbook, i was as ignorant as you. :smile:

Also to add to the conversation, i'd say for a standard student who goes to a "good/v.good" school ect maybe something like this:
A*
A*
A
A
A
A
A
B
B
B

Eg a couple of A*, majority As and a couple of Bs perhaps. Most people would think these grades are great i reckon.
However, if someone ends up taking wrong GCSE subjects, potentially 4 grades could be ruined as a result of choices made in y9.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 35
everyone is going to have different opinions.
personally, I'd say I believe I can achieve all As and A*s because I'm willing to put the effort in. some people will get As and A* with no really effort.

others will work super hard for Bs and Cs. and then there will be the lazy ones who could give a flying **** about how they do at gcse.
I did my GCSEs last year and came out with 12 A*s. For me that was a good set of results, and I'd have been massively disappointed if one of those grades hadn't been an A*.

I have a friend who got an A, a B, two Cs and the rest D or below. She got a D in English and a G in Maths. She was happy with those grades, and if she had worked hard then I would have considered those grades perfectly acceptable. The fact was that she didn't work, so they weren't as good as the grades she could have got. Therefore they weren't good grades.

Good GCSE grades are the grades someone can achieve by working hard.
Original post by burgerrr
Yes, maybe the subject content isn't very difficult. However, i'm going to admit that i find juggling 10 different subject into a week, some of which i don't like, difficult.

I also think that unless you get lucky, getting A*s do actually take a fair amount of effort.

Not everyone is from a privilaged backround, and with little motivation some people do not get any support whilst studying.
Not everyone who gets "bad" marks is stupid anyway, there is also a certain "skill" to knowing what a sometimes very specific markscheme.
To some extent, untill i got a gigantic E for an art sketchbook, i was as ignorant as you. :smile:

Also to add to the conversation, i'd say for a standard student who goes to a "good/v.good" school ect maybe something like this:
A*
A*
A
A
A
A
A
B
B
B

Eg a couple of A*, majority As and a couple of Bs perhaps. Most people would think these grades are great i reckon.
However, if someone ends up taking wrong GCSE subjects, potentially 4 grades could be ruined as a result of choices made in y9.

I don;t see what background has to do with it. GCSEs are piss
Original post by Deziah
I've seen so many threads about how good somebody's grades are, so I'm just wondering what your idea of good GCSE grades are.

Some A*s and As and some Bs,none below B.
A+ in English Language and Maths.
10+ GCSES
Minimum for exemplar 10(eg.4A*s,4As and 2Bs)

I'm doing 16 and require(7A*s,6As and 3Bs) for a good set.

@burgerrr I go to a good school(70% 5 A*-C,including English+ Maths,92% 5 A*-C) and have a poor background,i have been fed on benefits all my life.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Oli-Ol
I did my GCSEs last year and came out with 12 A*s. For me that was a good set of results, and I'd have been massively disappointed if one of those grades hadn't been an A*.

I have a friend who got an A, a B, two Cs and the rest D or below. She got a D in English and a G in Maths. She was happy with those grades, and if she had worked hard then I would have considered those grades perfectly acceptable. The fact was that she didn't work, so they weren't as good as the grades she could have got. Therefore they weren't good grades.

Good GCSE grades are the grades someone can achieve by working hard.

Whyyour sig only say you have 11 then?

Quick Reply