The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

Psychology at the University of Glasgow offical thread 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Domi.
Well, in Scotland unis, for your 1st and 2nd year you choose two additional subjects, o I don't really see a big problem here, you can take psychology. :wink:

Yeah, I read about that too. There doesn't seem to be much information about the Psych subject, or any other for that matter. Do you know anything about the "additional Psychology subject"? What would the added subject entitle me to, degree-wise? You got my hopes up a little bit :biggrin:
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Reply 21
Original post by 3sixsix
Can I ask you how you contacted them? They don't seem to respond e-mails, did you call? Also who did you contact? I'm finding that a little confusing.

By phone to the admissions department :smile: Put me onto the correct person.
Reply 22
Original post by Ahlbergo
Yeah, I read about that too. There doesn't seem to be much information about the Psych subject, or any other for that matter. Do you know anything about the "additional Psychology subject"? What would the added subject entitle me to, degree-wise? You got my hopes up a little bit :biggrin:

Well, as far as I know, "additional Psychology subject" is no different than usual Psychology course. During your 1st and 2nd year you study three subjects, then you progress to Honours - either Single, where you study one subject, or Joint, where you study two.
Reply 23
Hi guys :smile: I got an offer to study Psychology, but in Joint Honours. Is there anybody doing Joint as well? What does it mean for our future career? Do we have the same degree in Psychology as the usual Honours degree or is it something "less"? So excited to study in Glasgow, congratulations to everyone having an offer :smile:
Reply 24
Psychology student here! :biggrin:
Firm'ed today, got my offer a while back, but was waiting for Edinburgh to give an answer. So excited! :biggrin: Now I only have to figure out where to apply for accommodation..
Amazing... After keeping me waiting til 10th April for a reply (my app was in by the deadline), Glasgow finally respond with a rejection. No reason given, or any elaboration at all. Obviously I am going to call admissions and try to discover the reason for the rejection, but right now my mind only has room for "gutted" and "confused."

Anyone else out there applied to Psychology as a mature student and had better success? Or suffered the same fate? It's quite frustrating, because my highers were AAAAB in one sitting and at no point since I left school have I become a gibbering idiot and forgotten how to use my mind :frown: I would understand maybe even giving a conditional offer if you complete a summer prep course or something just to prove your brain hasn't turned to mush... but a rejection outright seems hard to process right now.
Reply 26
Original post by Laurelcs
Hey just wanted to start a thread for anyone, who has applied/had offers or unconditionals for Pyschology at Glasgow. Thought it would be nice to talk to everyone in the same boat as me:smile:

I got a conditional offer :smile: anyone else doing an MA?
Reply 27
I am a final year undergrad psychologist at Glasgow, just spotted a couple unanswered questions course wise so thought I could jump in.

You can take psychology as an extra subject and sometimes if you do really well you can transfer to make it your degree, but it can be competitive so dont get your hopes up. You also would have to take stats in your second year and if you have to keep your credits up on your other course it may not work out.

For joint honours you take the same in the firs two years as everyone else then in third year you take half of the compulsory courses then in the second year you take the other half (no option modules like the single hons). You also do a final year research project.
Reply 28
Original post by EilisS

I'm still waiting on a reply, what qualifications did you apply with?
Reply 29
Original post by EilisS

Hoping to, still haven't got anything back from Any unis and Glagows my first choice, I got AABB In highers so I think I stand a decent chance but waiting for them to reply is a bitch haha
Reply 30
Original post by zzzonked
I'm still waiting on a reply, what qualifications did you apply with?

A Level predicted grades of BBB in Psychology, Classics and Philosophy/Ethics, but my teachers specified that I'm retaking the modules I didn't do so well in! I'm surprised that they gave me an offer of ABB even with the AS results I got!
Reply 31
Original post by Drumbo
Hoping to, still haven't got anything back from Any unis and Glagows my first choice, I got AABB In highers so I think I stand a decent chance but waiting for them to reply is a bitch haha

hahaa I'm sure you will! The wait is horrible, but I applied quite early so they replied pretty fast! But no news is good news!
Original post by ilsensine69
Hi all... curious to know which of Glasgow's Psychology course codes people have been accepted under? I applied for all 3 (C800, C801 and C802) but got rejections (no reason given) for 800 and 802. Still nervously waiting for a response from the C801 Psych course... anyone in the same boat?

Unlike (I expect) most of you guys I'm a mature applicant (I have better than the listed higher requirements, but I did mine in 1998, so I don't know if they count anymore!) - not sure if this affects the order they deal with applications or not?

Just got a conditional. My course was changed as i didn`t have science quals for Bsc. they offered me an MA. Access course didnt cover sciences. 1 down and 4 to go before i decide where to go. Mature student here also.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending