The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 221
Original post by qwerty4444
If you read the rest of my post you will see that I do not favour the Falkland Islands becoming Argentine, secondly even though Argentina is populated by European colonists, they have set up their own nation, the territory has not remained part of their countries of origin in this case Portugal and Spain, consequently Argentina is an example of decolonisation, in terms of how the UN define it. Although debatably the Falklands becoming Argentine, with the current population could be seen as colonisation. :smile:

It's an example of both, after it decolonised (if there is such a word?) from Spain it then went on to colonise territory to the south and settled lands in Paraguay and Chile.
Original post by Alpharius
We should react in exactly the same way we did the last time. Do nothing until they try to forcibly take it.

Then intervein.

Then again, I don't think their stupid enough to take us on after we embarrased them last time.

We shouldn't act in exactly the same way as last time. We should make sure that we have a military presence there which we do. But I also think that if the Argentine government is enforcing trade sanctions on the people of the Falklands we should do the same to the Argentines.
Definitely launch a Pre-emptive Strike, wipe those bastards out!

424305_3347799214915_1266864077_33441059_123033827_n.jpg
Original post by cricketman
Just give them bak the falklands they are near to it than the Uk so they should have it.

Your spelling of English is horrendous. You do not care about the sacrifice of british troops in recapturing the islands. If you are living in Argentina then fair enough but if you live in the UK LEAVE!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Cannotbelieveit
Definitely launch a Pre-emptive Strike, wipe those bastards out!

424305_3347799214915_1266864077_33441059_123033827_n.jpg

GENIUS!!! :tongue:
The UN maintains a list of 16 “Non-Self-Governing Territories” which it defines as “non-decolonised”. The Falkland Islands are among 10 former British colonies on the list, which the UN began compiling in 1946 as a kind of roll-call of shame for the remaining colonial powers. Post World War Two perhaps?

waddya mean "roll-call of shame"? If it's shameful to look after our own subjects, how much more shameful would it be to just cast them adrift with no thought to the consequences?

Right, this argument in the end comes down to which of the UN charters you value the most. The one advocating 'self determination' by the 'peoples' of a territory, debatable in the case of the Falkland Islands, but none the less valid. Or the one advocating decolonisation by nations. The case of the Falklands is extremely difficult one, the situation can not say as it presently is, no matter how much you brand the Argentine claim as 'sabre rattling'. Perhaps the most desirable outcome would be for the Falkland Islands to become an independent nation, retaining it's links with Britain, difficult I admit, unless large amount of oil are found. I don't support Argentina's claim, although I do not think Britain can ever claim 'rightful' sovereignty, simply default sovereignty by the principle of self determination; whereas I think if the islands were unpopulated I believe Argentina could, I am aware this is not the case, so do not take this as me supporting Argentina's claim. The situation is clearly not a favourable one, but I think the more we simply pass of Argentina's claims as 'sabre rattling' and simply due to the present state of the country's economy,the worse the situation will become; a grown up diplomatic discussion is needed, times have changed since the Falklands war and Argentina should not simply be seen as 'the enemy'. For now I can see the Falkland Islands remaining British, but not indefinitely as the territory becomes more prosperous. However, I can not envisage another war been fought or the islands ever becoming fully Argentine. Hopefully this will be my last post on this thread.:smile:

In what way is the Falklanders' self-determination "debateable"?
I accept that you do not support the Argentine claims but I don't see how you think we can have a grown-up diplomatic discussion with a country using the sort of rhetoric that the Argentines are currently using. Similarly, I don't see how forcibly removing Britain's sovereignty (since we aren't going to give it up voluntarily) and thereby effectively creating an Argentine colony out of the Falklands (since they are neither willing nor, logically, able to survive as an independent country), can possibly be a means of upholding the UN principle of decolonisation.
(edited 11 years ago)
Oh but.. Patagonia is in Argentina :frown:
Any Falklands debate should immediately be ended by the fact that the Islanders want to be British.

That is the only thing that matters. Same goes for Gibraltar.
Original post by Otkem
Give them back their bloody islands. I am fed up of having my taxes go on supporting some useless bits of rock that no more belong to Antarticta than they do to England. If the 2000 Falklanders want to remain British, then let them move to England.

1) Never theirs in the first place
2) It is not useless as oil has been found
3) 3000 people*

But obvously you are a troll who likes to pop up every now and again spitting out some god squad stuff, so I wouldn't expect you to have the mental capacity to understand.
Original post by Cannotbelieveit
Any Falklands debate should immediately be ended by the fact that the Islanders want to be British.

Exactly. By using this is as our primary argument, we retain the moral high ground and make Argentina's arguments utterly obsolete.
Reply 232
Argentina has NO argument the islanders want fly our flag let them and what we need is a show of force aswell as our own navy and airforce maybe we should ask the americans if they would consider doing a south Atlantic patrol with us if that happens no way in heel will Argentina dare do anything.
Reply 233
Original post by nick65
Argentina has NO argument the islanders want fly our flag let them and what we need is a show of force aswell as our own navy and airforce maybe we should ask the americans if they would consider doing a south Atlantic patrol with us if that happens no way in heel will Argentina dare do anything.

The US would never do anything overt, they have too much other business in Latin America to be getting on with and this would alienate them. They're good for behind-the-scenes help [as they were in '82] but anything like that is a non-starter.

We don't need any military show of strength, we're in a far far far far far [to infinity...] better shape than the Argentinian Forces and both sides know it.

The problem is, though, that as much as the Islanders wish to remain part of the British Overseas Territories, the Argentinian Government refuses to acknowledge their existence in the argument.

Latest

Trending

Trending