The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

King's College London 2012 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1460
Original post by JizzMan
aha, thats the Exact situation I'm in; same course, same requirement, same expectation of what grades I'm gonna get... really wanna go King's too, this is too much pressure!

Haha really! What subjects are you doing? I'm hoping KCL aren't too strict about missing one grade..
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Reply 1461
Original post by stellz
I'm hoping to do BA Geography-you? I need AAB but think it's more likely I'll get ABB! Where are you from?

I have conditional offer for War Studies & Philosophy, but I need to get 38 IB. 4 exams down, 4 more to go, but 38 is looking pretty daunting. I'm in California.

Also, can one apply for other courses at Kings through extra just in case even if one has an offer for another course from them?
Reply 1462
Original post by onejpu2
I have conditional offer for War Studies & Philosophy, but I need to get 38 IB. 4 exams down, 4 more to go, but 38 is looking pretty daunting. I'm in California.

Also, can one apply for other courses at Kings through extra just in case even if one has an offer for another course from them?

Wow you're already halfway through your exams-I haven't even started! Sorry I have no idea-look it up on the UCAS website or phone them to find out
No, you would have to decline your offer to do that. Furthermore, it's probably unlikely they'll give you a lower offer for, say, single honours Philosophy.
Original post by onejpu2

Reply 1464
Original post by Phia7
No, you would have to decline your offer to do that. Furthermore, it's probably unlikely they'll give you a lower offer for, say, single honours Philosophy.

So do you think that one's requirements for all the courses at Kings would be the same? (for me, 38 IB) I guess that makes sense, but wouldn't less competitive courses or the ones on Extra that they are almost asking people to apply to have lower requirements so that they could let more people on (more money)? But you can only apply to one course per uni then?
Reply 1465
Original post by Phia7
To be eligible for Extra, you can't hold any offers from any Uni!
And they certainly don't take everyone for courses that are available in Extra - if they did that, the quality of applicants would decrease drastically. Being in Extra doesn't mean "No one wants us, we're needy now" :woo: I'm not just saying that because they accepted me :P

Oh I see! Please forgive my ignorance, being an international applicant I'm not very familiar with how UCAS/Extra works (obviously)...so thanks for clearing things up for me!
Original post by Stobes2509
Any 2012 Nursing applicants who want to join a Facebook group set up for all nurses to discuss anything and everything?
Let me know and I can add people :smile:

xxxx

Hi Im doing mental health nursing can I join? :smile:
xxx
Could anyone tell me if the general offers for International Politics this year have been AAA or AAB?

Thanks.
Reply 1468
Original post by holbolrob
Could anyone tell me if the general offers for International Politics this year have been AAA or AAB?

Thanks.

The general offer was AAB for PIE and IP, and I'm pretty sure virtually everyone was asked AAB, I'm yet to see anyone who has been given an AAA offer. Maybe I'm blind though..

The reason the tutors said this was (at the post-offer open day) was because with fees going up, they didn't expect to be getting as many candidates applying, that and the rearranging of the department. I heard that they were originally considering AAA or A*AA, however they decided on AAB.. bloody lucky, as I'm predicted AAB and have an offer for just that for PIE. Do you have an offer?
Original post by JoeeT
The general offer was AAB for PIE and IP, and I'm pretty sure virtually everyone was asked AAB, I'm yet to see anyone who has been given an AAA offer. Maybe I'm blind though...

I have an offer for English Lit at Kings but for a number of reasons, I now want to study politics instead. I'm very late to try and swap, and I doubt they'll have any space for me. Unless due to the creation of the PIE, they have less on the IP course.I just wanted to check the offer wasn't higher than my AAA offer for English before getting in touch and seeing what the situation is.
Thanks for the info.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1470
I have an offer for English Lit at Kings but for a number of reasons, I now want to study politics instead. I'm very late to try and swap, and I doubt they'll have any space for me. Unless due to the creation of the PIE, they have less on the IP course.I just wanted to check the offer wasn't higher than my AAA offer for English before getting in touch and seeing what the situation is.
Thanks for the info.

Oh, I meant offers just for PIE and IP, not just offers in general to King's - us politics students have been given a bit of a bargain offer I reckon.

As they're two completely different departments it may be quite difficult.. perhaps you should ask when you've got your grades and have a 100% guaranteed place, because I'm sure they'll be very accommodating then. I'm sure if you badger the politics department enough you'll be let on, and even if you aren't, it's likely that you'll be able to take one or two politics modules in your first year and then be eligible for transfer in your second.. worth a shot, right?

So why apply for English if you want to study politics?! silly!
Reply 1471
firming king's for pharmacy. :smile:) anyone else applying for pharmacy? :smile: and I also have a chance to study medicine at turkey . what do you guys think about that? I think I'm more into UK though. . . :/
(edited 11 years ago)
I've received a MA offer from King's Department of War Studies and a MSc offer from UCL's Department of Political Science.

Can anyone comment on which department is better? I.e. might offer better career prospects? (Prestige opening doors etc.)

I know UCL does better in the overall rankings but I've heard King's is very well known for this department. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for the info.

Might I ask why?

(Quite curious someone who fled the social sciences for letters. :smile: I can't help but feel that there is more practical politics in 'the state of Denmark' or on Tacitus's tongue than in the thorough surveys of theoreticians. )
(edited 11 years ago)
I have applied to Cultural & Creative Industries at KCL almost a month ago, and just got an offer from Goldsmiths for Arts Administration & Cultural Policy!
I was hoping for KCL but not quite sure which one would be the best option for me..
Original post by aylin
firming king's for pharmacy. :smile:) anyone else applying for pharmacy? :smile: and I also have a chance to study medicine at turkey . what do you guys think about that? I think I'm more into UK though. . . :/

Hey I've firmed King's for Pharmacy too! What makes you like the UK over Turkey? :smile:
Original post by aylin

OOH my mum is from turkey and called AYLIN what a coincidence :P Im going to kings this year, it is a world renowned place of study, and although its stupid logic, a UK London university may be better viewed than many other worldwide uni's, but obviously go where your heart is set
Original post by nuage
why thanks! French & Modern Greek and French & Portuguese/Brazilian, Greek is my preference :smile:

woooo im going (hopefully) to kings to study Spanish, portuguese & brazilian studies, do portuguese DO IT DO IT DO IT :smile:
Offer for geography BA :-)
Reply 1479
o
Original post by deoliveira.isa
OOH my mum is from turkey and called AYLIN what a coincidence :P Im going to kings this year, it is a world renowned place of study, and although its stupid logic, a UK London university may be better viewed than many other worldwide uni's, but obviously go where your heart is set

OMG! I really hope we meet someday . I am really mixed up. I have LSOP in mind as well. do you live in uk?

Quick Reply

Latest