The Student Room Group

Very worried! Uni?

I am sure they have been many posts like this :smile:

I was not so worried about Uni, but now its getting closer I feel scared, I am going onto a BSC degree in Animal Behaviour and Training at Bishop Burton, and no one I know is going so im afraid ill be alone. But thats not the major concern, Im worried that I won't be able to do it, understand what is going on, the books, the words the exams, the journals to read (I find them boring and hard to read)

I finished my course with D*D*D* but Uni is different the work is different, im afraid that I won't do so well.
Not to mention I now have to change my Particle driving test date because I just got letter telling me when I start Uni.. on my test day ..*huff* -_-

I guess I just need renaissance about it..is it as difficult as it seems :confused:
What you are feeling is totally normal, it's a huge change in your life - moving away, not knowing anybody when you start etc. - but just keep in mind that everyone there is in the same boat and will want to make friends and settle in as soon as possible too!

You got excellent grades for your diploma, if the university didn't feel you were capable of completing the work they set to a decent standard they wouldn't have accepted your qualifications for entry.

My best advice is to go with an open mind, keep upbeat and try to meet as many people as possible. You're bound to settle in quickly and soon you'll wonder what it is you were worrying about in the first place! :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by SpicyStrawberry
What you are feeling is totally normal, it's a huge change in your life - moving away, not knowing anybody when you start etc. - but just keep in mind that everyone there is in the same boat and will want to make friends and settle in as soon as possible too!

You got excellent grades for your diploma, if the university didn't feel you were capable of completing the work they set to a decent standard they wouldn't have accepted your qualifications for entry.

My best advice is to go with an open mind, keep upbeat and try to meet as many people as possible. You're bound to settle in quickly and soon you'll wonder what it is you were worrying about in the first place! :smile:

Makes feel a little better now I got some reassurance :smile: Your right, every is in the same boat so im not totally alien :P Thanks you:biggrin:
Reply 3
Everyone feels the same. Unis different As your generally studying something which your interested in so you will be more motivated. I felt the same as you because I wasn't academic at school and the course I am on is I didn't think I could do it and I'm surviving, I love it.

Just relax and enjoy it as time runs away with you! Good luck :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 4
Hey Hey
I am on the exact same course starting in september!! Cant believe theres like just over 2 weeks til we start!!
Im sure you will be fine! And surely everyone will help each other! And Im a shocking reader so dont worry about the reading (It takes me nearly a whole year to finish one book!!)
If you wanted someone to talk to before we actually start do start talking or even add on facebook if you like (Esther Tidey) Just say who it is and that you're from here!! Haha

As said before everyone is in the same boat! No one will have met anyone previously so just be yourself and you'll be great!
Nervous? Excited? A bit anxious?

Quite normal really. But by the end of the first week, you'll be wondering what on earth you were so scared of.

Reply 6
Original post by etidey
Hey Hey
I am on the exact same course starting in september!! Cant believe theres like just over 2 weeks til we start!!
Im sure you will be fine! And surely everyone will help each other! And Im a shocking reader so dont worry about the reading (It takes me nearly a whole year to finish one book!!)
If you wanted someone to talk to before we actually start do start talking or even add on facebook if you like (Esther Tidey) Just say who it is and that you're from here!! Haha

As said before everyone is in the same boat! No one will have met anyone previously so just be yourself and you'll be great!

Your going to bishop burton? :smile: I take a long time to read stuff too! Wish I was a book worm but im not lol. Nice to actually know someone going there. :biggrin: At least im not the only one feeling this way, and it sucks that summer holidays is nearly over lol. :biggrin:
Reply 7
Im sooo nervous to start too (im in the North East). Im a good reader, but have a 5 year old daughter and my mind is often elsewhere! I am terrified of failing and i only passed my lvl 3 NVQ id never even heard of a merit or distinction!

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my E15i
Original post by IIGemma
I am sure they have been many posts like this :smile:

I was not so worried about Uni, but now its getting closer I feel scared, I am going onto a BSC degree in Animal Behaviour and Training at Bishop Burton, and no one I know is going so im afraid ill be alone. But thats not the major concern, Im worried that I won't be able to do it, understand what is going on, the books, the words the exams, the journals to read (I find them boring and hard to read)

I finished my course with D*D*D* but Uni is different the work is different, im afraid that I won't do so well.
Not to mention I now have to change my Particle driving test date because I just got letter telling me when I start Uni.. on my test day ..*huff* -_-

I guess I just need renaissance about it..is it as difficult as it seems :confused:

You won't be alone, Bishop people tend to be quite friendly (the ones I've known anyway)

They'll probably start with basics, so if you keep up you'll probably not find it so difficult.

I know how it is with reading journals :frown: Journals in psychology can be quite bad too, and I struggle with reading just enough that it's a serious inconvenience to me but not enough for it to be dyslexia or anything I could get help with! I find splitting it into sections and reading bits of it in between doing other tasks easier, and make notes as well.
Reply 9
Don't worry about the fact you did a BTEC. I also did a BTEC and now I'm going to York Uni to study Microbiology and Biotechnology! If they accepted you on the course, they obviously think you can do it.

I worry too sometimes about not being good enough, but then i remember its more about how much effort you put in, and achieving D*D*D* takes an awful lot of effort! Plus BTECs have alot of self teaching involved (specially to get the distinctions) which is what it will be like in uni, people who did A levels didn't have that experience, so we may even have a slight advantage to them! Just remember that you are at university to learn, and not just party :P
Reply 10
A lot of people I talked to are only going to uni for the student life, I don't really care about parting side of uni. :smile: Sounds like most of you feel just the same as me :smile: I am worried about the journals like one of you mentioned because we practised reading them on level 3 and I was just like 0.0 ... its very boring to read, its all clogged together and has very scientific words and referenced on every line making it harder and boringer to read.

All of you have given me great advice and I feel more open minded about Uni.

kayleighn05 random question because your from the north do you know what chip spice is? or any one on here? :biggrin: a lot of people from south have no idea what it is I don't know how you eat your chips! :wink:
Original post by IIGemma
A lot of people I talked to are only going to uni for the student life, I don't really care about parting side of uni. :smile: Sounds like most of you feel just the same as me :smile: I am worried about the journals like one of you mentioned because we practised reading them on level 3 and I was just like 0.0 ... its very boring to read, its all clogged together and has very scientific words and referenced on every line making it harder and boringer to read.

All of you have given me great advice and I feel more open minded about Uni.

kayleighn05 random question because your from the north do you know what chip spice is? or any one on here? :biggrin: a lot of people from south have no idea what it is I don't know how you eat your chips! :wink:

No ive never heard of chip spice? I eat my chips with curry, gravy, beans or salt :biggrin:

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my E15i
Reply 12
:O http://www.amazon.co.uk/Original-American-Chip-Spice-Paprika/dp/B004ZF9JXA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1346580933&sr=8-1

Its sooo good! every chip shop in hull serves their chips with chip spice other than a fish and chip shop but you have the option to put it on your self. You should try some :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest