The Student Room Group

Doctors for embarrassing problem

For the past five years or so i have had a really embarrassing problem. When I go to the toilet I have to use my finger to help pull it out, I know its disgusting. I have finally had the courage to book a doctors appointment and its tommorow afternoon, but im really nervous about going. I dont know how to tell it to the doctor without getting really embarrassed and going really red. I know im going to spend all of tonight and tommorow worrying about the appointment and im really tempted to ring and cancel :frown:

Had anyone else been to the doctor with an embarrassing problem or can offer me some encouragement?
My mum is a doctor and she says all the time that nothing can faze/shock her anymore, so don't worry! Anyway, ten embarrassing minutes is definitely worth it if they can fix the problem :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by mangostrawberry
My mum is a doctor and she says all the time that nothing can faze/shock her anymore, so don't worry! Anyway, ten embarrassing minutes is definitely worth it if they can fix the problem :smile:

Thank you, that makes me feel a bit better
Don't worry. Doctors are used to dealing with embarrassed patients. The most important thing is to get the problem solved, plus their is patient confidentiality; they won't tell anyone else.
So wait what is it you're pulling out, the faeces from your anus? Or your penis which has retracted into your body?

If it's the former then that is truly disgusting, if the latter then chill, it's not the rarest thing
Reply 5
Why don't you just say you're constipated. I'm not sure why you need to mention the finger element.
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
For the past five years or so i have had a really embarrassing problem. When I go to the toilet I have to use my finger to help pull it out, I know its disgusting. I have finally had the courage to book a doctors appointment and its tommorow afternoon, but im really nervous about going. I dont know how to tell it to the doctor without getting really embarrassed and going really red. I know im going to spend all of tonight and tommorow worrying about the appointment and im really tempted to ring and cancel :frown:

Had anyone else been to the doctor with an embarrassing problem or can offer me some encouragement?

Part of the training doctors undergo is putting their fingers up peoples' bottoms to check on their prostate. I feel like you describing doing something similar is not going to be a traumatising or shocking experience for the doctor.
Reply 7
go on embarassing bodies :wink:
Reply 8
As said above they will have had lots of people with the exact same problem, let alone general 'embarrassing' problems. It's not like you chose to have this issue, you can't help it and this is what the doctor is there for, and they won't be fazed at all, they'll treat it sensitively and hopefully be able to help you out!

Remember, it's always a good idea to talk to doctors about stuff like this. It's probably a small issue and they will be able to sort it quickly, but there is always a chance it could be a symptom of something which needs further treatment or investigation and the sooner you get it sorted the better.

xxx
Reply 9
I think all you need to say is that you are terribly constipated. I'm sure the doctor won't be too shocked if you do go into details, but it may embarrass you a little. Just saying you're very constipated is probably an adequate enough description of the situation for the doctor to understand :smile:
After 3 years of being a student nurse that is NOT the worst thing I've ever heard, not by far. Doctors see patients who are embarrassed or anxious all the time and for them it's no big deal. I appreciate that this does not make the situation any less embarrassing for yourself but I hope you'll find some comfort in knowing that they won't see your problem as unusual or disgusting. If you feel embarrassed and go red that's normal, and your doctor won't think anything of it. You should try to be as honest as you can so your doctor understands the extent of your problem and can offer good advice/medication etc so that there's less chance you'll need to go back.

Besides, ten minutes having an awkward conversation will be much better for you in the long run if it means improving your constipation :smile: You'll be relieved when it's over, in more ways than one :tongue:
Reply 11
Original post by Anonymous

Hello,
Yes it's sounds disgusting. But don't be shy if you shy like this then your problem will never solve. Just be brave and go to the doctor and tell him whatever problem you are facing...
Really really common, many people have to use their fingers, not many people know that as its not every-day conversation material
GP - problem solved, well done for working up the courage to go....for the doctor, it really isn't a big deal at all

Quick Reply

Latest