The Student Room Group

Advice for a begineer who can't do sit-ups or proper crunch....

Ok so I'm a lazy person who hardly exercises or does any from of intense physical activity and I tried doing some basic exercises at home, out of boredom and the need to get myself into better shape and strength........I can barely get my back up when i try to do crunches? any advice about that? and what would you suggest a beginner to start with, Ive only been to a gym twice in my life and am really quite weak, I can barely do more tan 5 reps a 10 kg dumbbell. Besides Im 20 and going to a gym and seeing 16 year olds in much better shape than me gives me an inferiority complex and sense of embarrassment which I first have to overcome.
Reply 1
Well for a start crunches means your back doesn't leave the floor, i think your getting them confused with sit-ups. Theres differing opinions on this but from what i gather crunches put less stress on your back but don't qoute me on that.

As for lifting weights it might be worthwhile thinking about buying some to use at home.
Reply 2
Really doesn't matter. Everyone's got a bit of an inferiority complex when they first workout, unless they're naturally large. It's just something you've got to overcome. Provided you do the correct weight for your size and aren't cheating with weights that are too heavy, you won't be mocked. Everyone starts somewhere.
Starting somewhere = (bodyweight) calisthenics.

There is no point in progressing to using weights without a decent level of base strength first. Get good at bodyweight movements first (pressups, Pullups, Squats, Dips etc...)
Reply 4
And when you're starting out doing pressups/situps etc make sure you've got your form correct. There's no point in doing loads of pressups if your form is off and you're not doing them correctly.
don't worry about pull ups just yet, gotta agree with John with the press ups, you'd best start with them and then move onto weights later on, I'd recommend you make the transition to weights once you can do 40 press ups with good form and 60 sit ups, i'd also recommend squats as well but if you're overweight you should be doing a bit of cardio (running, swimming, walking etc.) Cycling's good if you can be bothered to wake up earlier in the morning to get to school/work.
If you go to the gym, use an ab cradle to do crunches. This will help to ensure that you keep your body in the right position, and that you use the muscles in your stomach like you're supposed to, instead of putting a strain on your neck and back. While your ab muscles are still weak, you should make sure your neck is getting enough support.
Reply 7
I'd agree with the ab cradle thing. Those are great. While stomach exercises are great three isn't alot of point if you are a large person, do cardio first. Also I was doing a whole load of crunches and not seeing a great result so I asked one of the attendants at my gym about home exercises better than the crunch and they knew this whole routine - which is great. Definately ask at your gym.
Reply 8
logical_zombie
don't worry about pull ups just yet, gotta agree with John with the press ups, you'd best start with them and then move onto weights later on, I'd recommend you make the transition to weights once you can do 40 press ups with good form and 60 sit ups, i'd also recommend squats as well but if you're overweight you should be doing a bit of cardio (running, swimming, walking etc.) Cycling's good if you can be bothered to wake up earlier in the morning to get to school/work.

where have you got those figures from? what good does doing that many sit ups do you anyway?

get yourself to a gym, ignore everyone, start light.

and i dont believe you cant do a single sit up.

i bet if i helped you through a workout, you would out perform your current expectations of yourself by miles!

Latest