The Student Room Group

When a guy acts cool towards you, does he mean it(uninterested in you) or simply he j

When a guy acts cool towards you, does he mean it(uninterested in you) or simply he just does that to everyone...?Like some sort of iceburg to break? (I am not bad in talking to most people, just the cool ones which annoy me a bit haha)

Like, I met this really 'cool and amazing' looking guy (ok, it depends on different people's views) but for some reason I just couldn't carry on a conversation with him...and this is not the first time I feel awkward in front of those too-good looking people (I did see some threads about this already:smile: )
Am I just thinking too much?When guys are cool to me do they mean it??? (I know he's way popular, he doesn't really do smiles by the way.

PS just out of interest, why do cool guys not smile? Is it because they want to look cooler or they just do not like it (some people don't like smiling)...

Well, I am not the sort of girl who goes for cool guys at all but would love to have a conversation at all. But at times I think too much before I say anything so at the end I can't find my tongue:p: Do you think that they find me silly smiling all the time?? (Should I just act cooler too and not smiling so much, mum says I look childish when I do so)

Just reply me some of the stuff I mentioned (sorry I shoved loads in)

Keep anon please or delete this please...please...

Scroll to see replies

Act like yourself. Let them act like themselves, or whatever they want to pretend to be. You can't second-guess people - some people are very good at acting cool when they're not, some people are just cool, and some people are miserable ****s.
Reply 2
Anonymous
When a guy acts cool towards you, does he mean it(uninterested in you) or simply he just does that to everyone...?Like some sort of iceburg to break? (I am not bad in talking to most people, just the cool ones which annoy me a bit haha)

Like, I met this really 'cool and amazing' looking guy (ok, it depends on different people's views) but for some reason I just couldn't carry on a conversation with him...and this is not the first time I feel awkward in front of those too-good looking people (I did see some threads about this already:smile: )
Am I just thinking too much?When guys are cool to me do they mean it??? (I know he's way popular, he doesn't really do smiles by the way.

PS just out of interest, why do cool guys not smile? Is it because they want to look cooler or they just do not like it (some people don't like smiling)...

Well, I am not the sort of girl who goes for cool guys at all but would love to have a conversation at all. But at times I think too much before I say anything so at the end I can't find my tongue:p: Do you think that they find me silly smiling all the time?? (Should I just act cooler too and not smiling so much, mum says I look childish when I do so)

Just reply me some of the stuff I mentioned (sorry I shoved loads in)

Keep anon please or delete this please...please...

He is either trying to impress you by trying to act like a cool/chilled out guy or he aint interested what so ever. You have to be there to tell I guess so can't help you on that one. Who couldn't keep the convo goin, you or him? If him then he is either shy or not interested :redface:

Guys smile, if he isnt smiling then why bother with him he is probably proper boring to chill with anyway! You shouldn't worry about yourself smiling, if you just do it naturally then dont worry about it, smiley girls are cool :smile:
Reply 3
JDon
He is either trying to impress you by trying to act like a cool/chilled out guy or he aint interested what so ever. You have to be there to tell I guess so can't help you on that one. Who couldn't keep the convo goin, you or him? If him then he is either shy or not interested :redface:

Guys smile, if he isnt smiling then why bother with him he is probably proper boring to chill with anyway! You shouldn't worry about yourself smiling, if you just do it naturally then dont worry about it, smiley girls are cool :smile:

Why would he THINK acting cool will impress me?? (if thats the case) I dont like people who are too cool anyway, I thought they are indifferent or get bored with me...

I met that guy just for one day (pretty short, just on an event), he was surrounded by the popular group immediately as he's too cool (to be honest I can't stand that coolness at all, he's arrogant...). WELL, we did exchange like ONE glance on that night anyway, he wasn't smiling or anything like that.
So, I didn't even talk to him...maybe he's not that bad...I don't know. He seems like a playboy to me though:wink:

I am okay with carryin on conversation normally but when someone doesn't give me ENOUGH of feed back I will feel suddenly awkward and don't know what to say next...which is kind of bad, because they may think I look stupid and sound stupid too...oh dear first impression is ruined oh well.

Yea my smile is very natural, too natural I guess, but no harm in that :o:
Reply 4
Yea, the all famous cool = cold. Fail :p:

People who "act" that way are just acting at the end, so that tells you a lot about their personality and character. At least your being yourself, which in itself says a lot about you, and others who are just themselves. Think about it, you really want to make out an act to "impress" a dude that is acting his coolness anyways? :cool: :p:
Reply 5
He is probably shy or un-confident, even tho he is in the popular group, which is why he try's to 'act' cool.

I used to do it in my early teens :tongue: but then realized i will never pull acting that way haha
Reply 6
probably doesnt fancy you
People who don't smile are just boring tbh, it's like an indication that they're not worth spending time with. People who smile a lot can generally be seen to be pretty easy-going.
Reply 8
AsphyxiateD
People who don't smile are just boring tbh, it's like an indication that they're not worth spending time with. People who smile a lot can generally be seen to be pretty easy-going.

what about people with a facial muscular disorder?
Reply 9
maybe he's cold, offer him your jumper.
Reply 10
The "cool" guys that you describe seem a little self absorbed and superficial. Sadly, that's generally the case. The "cool" people are actually the idiotic ones who are out to impress girls. From the ones I know, that is their ultimate aim. They try to act like the don't give a damn about anything...
Reply 11
Bateman
maybe he's cold, offer him your jumper.

Why stop there when you can offer him your full outfit

NECKLE
hmm interesting perspective, never really thought about that and I think I'm kinda like that guy possibly. I don't know

Doesn't mean a lack of interest, maybe they just don't know if you like them or not or just shy or just cool in general.
If he likes you he would give you at least a smile
Ross_j
what about people with a facial muscular disorder?

They can be forgiven but only if the aforementioned facial muscular disorder allows them to make hilarious expressions unintentionally at the most inappropriate of times.
I do that, all the time.
I could be besotted with a girl and go into ice mode. Probably because I'm ruined in the head after the last time I acted the opposite way with a girl.
Regardless, the answer to your question is that it could be either. Each person is different, and it's very difficult to make judgements based on many facts never mind basic facts.
The solution; build up the courage to talk to him, you may be surprised.
Reply 16
Whilst I wouldn't call myself a 'cool guy', I don't smile very much so I can talk about that. Obviously I smile when I'm laughing (which is a lot, I like to laugh) but other than that I just look like an arse when I try and smile. I just can't force a smile.. doesn't work.. so I tend not to walk around smiling. Definitely doesn't mean you're boring if you don't walk around with a constant grin on your face lol
Reply 17
wow thank you...I just realized so many of you have replied my thread...yea I will try to talk to that guy I mentioned if theres a chance. However, when i look at his other photos on facebook, he doesn't smile either and looking way cool. I really do not like act-to-be-cool people, I think they are too arrogant; but as some of you may suggest, it's just an outer layer.

However, if I do go and talk to him and if he doesn't smile or remain cool, I may feel a bit idiotic...especially he's wayyy popular. If it isn't for his looks I wouldn't even have this thread started oh dear me...I am just genuinely interested in why some people can be sooo indifferent...
Reply 18
lawrywild
Whilst I wouldn't call myself a 'cool guy', I don't smile very much so I can talk about that. Obviously I smile when I'm laughing (which is a lot, I like to laugh) but other than that I just look like an arse when I try and smile. I just can't force a smile.. doesn't work.. so I tend not to walk around smiling. Definitely doesn't mean you're boring if you don't walk around with a constant grin on your face lol

I know...that perhaps is the reason why I want to see him smile. I mean, I don't fancy him or anything I just wanna see if he does laugh with people (i know he does when hes with his COOL friends, you know what i mean...)

So, when you are facing strangers do you put a smile on your face when you talk or you just let the coolness stay there?

I tried hard to stay cool before and it clearly didn't work for me:p: I find staying cool is very very hard. Sorry if this was a weird question...
Reply 19
Anonymous
I know...that perhaps is the reason why I want to see him smile. I mean, I don't fancy him or anything I just wanna see if he does laugh with people (i know he does when hes with his COOL friends, you know what i mean...)

So, when you are facing strangers do you put a smile on your face when you talk or you just let the coolness stay there?

I tried hard to stay cool before and it clearly didn't work for me:p: I find staying cool is very very hard. Sorry if this was a weird question...

lol no no, as soon as I enter conversation I tend to smile a lot more and laugh. I keep a straight face only when I'm just walking around/on my own/stuck on the tube etc. (although usually I am genuinely stressed/pissed off when cramped on the tube (6'1" + tube in rush hour just does not go).