The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
just be honest baby. but if i were you, i'd talk about something impressive.
Reply 2
You can put that if you want as it may be a top notch achievement, but if I was reading the form, I would be looking for something a bit more interesting.
Reply 3
I wrote about an award that I won because of what I did to achieve it and what it represented. They seemed to like that.

I think it's got to mean something, but I think it's also an opportunity to write about something more interesting, or out of the box.
For me? 3,000+ posts on TSR has to up there somewhere....
Reply 5
Keep on posting and maybe someday you'll reach your ultimatum.
Reply 6
uthinkilltellu
For me? 3,000+ posts on TSR has to up there somewhere....

whoa whoa whoa. reporting for joke-theft.
Reply 7
Managed to lick my elbow. Twice.
Reply 8
some voluntary work/project etc? awards/prizes....

they say emphasis should be on extra-curricular achievements.
szeles
Managed to lick my elbow. Twice.

now that is an achievement.
Reply 10
I just sneezed without blinking :biggrin:!
loggins
I just sneezed without blinking :biggrin:!
I think some proof is in order. Get the webcam out!:biggrin:

http://sxxz.blogspot.com/2004/12/sneeze-science.html
winning $1,100 in Vegas in 4 hours.

1) Put down $40 bucks on the black jack table - Walked away with 100 bucks

2) Sat down in the Mirage poker table with 100 bucks

3) After 4 hours of poker, walked away with 1,100 gross
Reply 13
uthinkilltellu

Duct tape might have been involved. Does this void my proudest achievement? :frown:
PortfolioManager
winning $1,100 in Vegas in 4 hours.

1) Put down $40 bucks on the black jack table - Walked away with 100 bucks

2) Sat down in the Mirage poker table with 100 bucks

3) After 4 hours of poker, walked away with 1,100 gross

Is getting lucky an achievement?
loggins
Duct tape might have been involved. Does this void my proudest achievement? :frown:
Not at all!!! I've done something like that with a tub of vaseline and a bannana instead....:wink:
uthinkilltellu

Ditto for the elbow licking, and yes of course duct tape voids the achievement - very disappointed now. We had proof that science was wrong :frown:.

OP - as some of the more helpful among us have indicated, it's a chance to showcase something that you've done, but it must be meaningful as it is a question that the people screening the apps take a lot of interest in.
Reply 17
love2learn
Ditto for the elbow licking, and yes of course duct tape voids the achievement - very disappointed now. We had proof that science was wrong :frown:.

OP - as some of the more helpful among us have indicated, it's a chance to showcase something that you've done, but it must be meaningful as it is a question that the people screening the apps take a lot of interest in.

Is this true? Not meant in an aggressive way, am just curious as to how far answers to questions like these are really taken into account.
jjpp
Is this true? Not meant in an aggressive way, am just curious as to how far answers to questions like these are really taken into account.

Yes.

Put it this way, as a recruiter, you're faced with applications all with the As and the 2.1s / 1sts, and the top unis. But often they need to either distinguish between applicants - who displays knowledge? who actually understands what they're applying to? who demonstrates the things that we're looking for? This is a question that can demonstrate something different, something interesting, and add a lot more flavour to an applicant. There's one Bank in particular which really likes a certain characteristic so an answer with these kinds of things would really get their attention.

So yes, in short it is true. Especially for the one which asks this question (I think I'm right in knowing which this refers to).
LOL at those proudest moments in life.
@ PortfolioManager, I would actually put that Vegas thing down if faced with the question. $1100 is pretty sweet.

Latest