The Student Room Group

Just got back from my ASDA interview ...

I had my interview and assessment today.

I had the group assessment this morning, along with give it a go and a tour of the place. I got through, there were 9 of us and 1 of us were sent home.

8 of us got individual interviews this afternoon.

I said that I could work any hours going, any day of the week and on any department as I was very flexible and she said great.

I mentioned that in around 2 weeks time I have my final exams for Uni and then in the talk before we left, the HR manager said, if successful induction would be in around 2 weeks time, so it got me thinking, about the same time as my exams.

Am i reading too much into it and getting paranoid, or would they really consider not giving me the job just because induction would be the same time as my exams, or am I still in with a good chance?

Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Asda tends to be quite flexible with that sort of thing, or at least it has been in my experience of working there. It's maybe worth phoning them up and asking what date the induction is on (it's normally a Saturday for about 6 hours as far as I know).
Reply 2
wait untill they phone you, and arrange a time thats suitable for you. Asda are flexible. What position did you apply for?
Reply 3
OK, thanks.

I applied for seasonal colleague. They have vacancies on various departments they said.

When I did give it a go, I was put on Grocery for half an hour and working with the department manager, and we were talking about my past jobs and things, and when he found out that I had worked on checkouts and tills before, he then let me give checkouts a go for 20mins.

I was interviewed by the service manager and she said she had about 4 vacancies on her department.
Reply 4
mark1988
OK, thanks.

I applied for seasonal colleague. They have vacancies on various departments they said.

When I did give it a go, I was put on Grocery for half an hour and working with the department manager, and we were talking about my past jobs and things, and when he found out that I had worked on checkouts and tills before, he then let me give checkouts a go for 20mins.

I was interviewed by the service manager and she said she had about 4 vacancies on her department.

try and go for nights the pay is good! but any job in the current climate is great best of luck hope you enjoy it welcome to the ''team''.
Reply 5
Wish I was that confident about getting the job.

They said the people who were successful will get a phone call on Friday.
Reply 6
J4GGYBoss
try and go for nights the pay is good! but any job in the current climate is great best of luck hope you enjoy it welcome to the ''team''.

Yeah man, £8.16 an hour for unskilled work!! Half the reason I've worked there for 7 years. Still, can't wait to get out of there in September to start uni!
Reply 7
Immz
Yeah man, £8.16 an hour for unskilled work!! Half the reason I've worked there for 7 years. Still, can't wait to get out of there in September to start uni!

Ha! Thats more than I get for Semi-Skilled work, operating farm kit. Go for it.
Reply 8
Immz

jeez man im on a gap year doing nights i do 3/4 nights it kills me man :P but the pays wicked have to say even better for a recession!. Well done for doing 7 years haha ive done 6 months and im ready to call it a day haha

how many nights you working?, what part of the store?
Reply 9
I'm working as many nights as I can. As I'm at college I'm only contracted to 2 now but before I started college I was working 6 a week. Will go back to doing six nights as soon as I'm finished college to try and get my debts sorted before I go to uni
fair play 2 is good still i plan to do 2 during uni!.
Reply 11
More than £8.... that's like better than ANY supermarkets I've ever seen!! Sainsbury's is up to £6.31... Aldi is over £7 but seriously, more than £8 for unskilled work per hour like this is just ludicrous.
Reply 12
Tomorrow is the day.

The people manager, said if we were successfull, we would find out on Friday as we would recieve a phone call, lets hope I got the job.

Im still concerned that because my exams are the week they planned the induction for they could turn me down, but Im hoping that because In my opinion I came across confident, friendly and was myself and seemed to answer the questions well, and the interviewer, kept saying thats good, oh brilliant, that Im in with a chance, and because I said I was flexible they will be the same with me.

Lets see if I get the phone call tomorrow then, will be quite disappointed if I dont.
Lukely
More than £8.... that's like better than ANY supermarkets I've ever seen!! Sainsbury's is up to £6.31... Aldi is over £7 but seriously, more than £8 for unskilled work per hour like this is just ludicrous.

yep truely amazing isnt it :P
Reply 14
I got the phonecall this morning and I got the job! Woo!!
well done (Y) welcome to the cult known as asda for the next few weeks/months/years you'll be listening to ASDA FM LIVE!!!!!, think big dont think little dont let the MNC'S break you! they can pay people to stack, they can pay people to serve, BUT THEY CANNOT PAY PEOPLE TO CARE!! haha im hilarious :P
Reply 16
Thanks.

Got my induction on the 12th and 13th. What normally happens?

They have took my uniform size and asked me to go and collect a welcome pack from customer services.
Reply 17
Congratulations on signing your life away to the retail industry... :biggrin:
Reply 18
Can I ask, obviously the contract is seasonal. my induction is next week and it says I would be needed for 6 weeks in the summer, however I am free for like 13 weeks, haha, do asda tend to have more hours going than 6 weeks work?
Reply 19
I wanted to say I was very gobsmacked yesterday. I noticed on the noticeboard some internal vacancies at another store and thought I would go and get an application form from my people manager, as they were for contracted hours and near enough full time.

I had asked the service manager at my current store but she said she could only offer me 12 hours.

Anyway, when I went and saw her, she wouldnt give me one, she said there was more then enough hours to give me and asked which position I was interested in, she then said, are you interested in the service section leader role which is been introduced. I said well I had only been there 8 weeks and didint meet the requirements.

She said it didint matter, from what she had seen and heard she didint want to lose me and I could be given an interview and be put on stepping stones.

I was shocked to be honest. Any thoughts?

If I didint get the job I could then of left it late to apply for the other roles at the other store I saw, but then she woudnt give me a form!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending