The Student Room Group
Reply 1
a few years ago? yeah i doubt it -_-
Reply 2
Pretty sure genital warts are one of those things that like to pop up every now and again and you're never truely rid of them. A condom doesnt protect you from getting them again either. As for the chances of you getting them, im not tooo sure, but once you have genital warts you have it foreverrrr

GENITALWARTS4LYFE__xXx
Anonymous
Well just found out my boyfriend had genital warts a few years ago, had them lasered off or something, anyway theres no sign of them now. Am I right in thinking he still carries the virus though? And I can still get them? And could he have another breakout of them in the future in the same way as with herpes you have multiple breakouts, or once you get rid of them is that it gone?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/relationships/sex_and_sexual_health/stis_warts.shtml

i hope the link above helps. Once you get genital warts you get it for life, and it is tranferd through skin to skin contact. be carefull
ok, now, when i have a partner who carries hpv (has had genital warts before), the only way to make sure i don't get it would be to not ever have sex with him or kiss, right?
now that a majority of people have hpv, without even knowing...
but seriously: this is VERY annoying. to minimise the chance of getting it as well is to always use condoms, even for oral. depressing thought. (i dislike using condoms and dams for oral :frown: )
any thoughts?
Reply 5
Other than using protection...

Unless you don't want to risk developing it when you're pregnant, maybe you could say "**** it" and accept that you're gonna get herpes.

And until you get it, don't share towels and flannels.
Reply 6
Anonymous
ok, now, when i have a partner who carries hpv (has had genital warts before), the only way to make sure i don't get it would be to not ever have sex with him or kiss, right?
now that a majority of people have hpv, without even knowing...
but seriously: this is VERY annoying. to minimise the chance of getting it as well is to always use condoms, even for oral. depressing thought. (i dislike using condoms and dams for oral :frown: )
any thoughts?

No - the disease is only infectious when blisters are present. So if any lumps appear, avoid him/them like the plague.
Reply 7
Got Nerd?
No - the disease is only infectious when blisters are present. So if any lumps appear, avoid him/them like the plague.

To quote the NHS:

"You should always use a condom while you are having any kind of sexual intercourse (vaginal, anal, and oral) even after your symptoms have gone...

...However, while using a condom may help to prevent spreading genital herpes, the condom only covers the penis. If the virus is also present on your anus, or the surrounding area, it can still be passed on through sexual contact.

As HSV survives within the nerves of your skin, there is a chance that the virus can be present on your skin, even after you no longer have symptoms. Therefore, there is still a chance that you could pass it on."
Reply 8
Doctors are apparently unsure whether HPV lasts forever or not. Traditionally they've said it does, but new research suggests the body may clear it. But again, they don't really know. It's an open debate, I hear.

Genital warts are pretty harmless, though. The strains of HPV that cause genital warts are not the same ones that can lead to cervical cancer. So I wouldn't worry about it all that much. You can't fully protect against HPV with condoms, and most people already have it, so... don't lose too much sleep over it.
Reply 9
ozzyoscy
To quote the NHS:

"You should always use a condom while you are having any kind of sexual intercourse (vaginal, anal, and oral) even after your symptoms have gone...

...However, while using a condom may help to prevent spreading genital herpes, the condom only covers the penis. If the virus is also present on your anus, or the surrounding area, it can still be passed on through sexual contact.

As HSV survives within the nerves of your skin, there is a chance that the virus can be present on your skin, even after you no longer have symptoms. Therefore, there is still a chance that you could pass it on."

Sex ed lied to me..

Ah, well. I got told :yep:

Latest