The Student Room Group

How would you deal with accidentally killing someone?

Occasionally the thought of this pops into my head and it's something that I find really scary. Particularly when I'm driving, it's so easy to lose concentration for a second and that could be all it takes.

I guess there are two parts to this question. How would you feel if you killed someone but it was their fault, they didn't look when crossing the road etc.

I'm sure whilst it's against the law, most drivers will admit to using their mobile whilst driving. How would you deal with it if you killed someone whilst using it? Would you own up to have been on your mobile whilst knowing the implications of that (prison) or could you live with the guilt and lie?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
wow this is a bit deep for two in the morning.lol.

me and my boyfriend were actually talking about this today.... well similar. we were saying if you accidentally killed someone in your house would you try to hide the body and where would you hide it/would you destroy it? we never actually came up with an answer but i get what your saying about, it could happen to anyone?

i think years ago when i was younger (im 23 now) i would lie about the phone thing but now i am older i know it would eat me up so i would have to tell the truth. plus i think if i killed someone i would be feel so bad that being punished properly (like prison) would make it easier to cope with.... but even then i would prob feel guilty that i was taking tax payers money while being in jail.

what ever happened, i think if i knocked someone over i would never drive again.
Reply 2
The same way I deal with spilling milk in the kitchen.

Leave it for someone else to clean up and get on with my day.
Reply 3
God almighty, the nutters come out at night.

I don't really want to go to prison, so I'll try my best to get out of it :P and yes, lie if I have too!!
I would shrug and forget about it if it wasn't my fault. People die everyday and I bet every one of us has made a decision which had it been different would have saved the life of a random stranger we never met, chaos theory and all that...

I would never use my phone while driving so the second point is not applicable. I try to drive at least five and preferably ten miles below the speed limit at all times. I'm never in a rush and don't want the mess of having to deal with police etc if I accidentally hit someone because I have better things to do with my life than write a police statement/ be stressed out with court.

However in this hypothetical situation I think it's ridiculous to do anything but try and get out of trouble because ultimately you have nothing to lose by lying and everything to lose by being honest. If the guilt is something you struggle to live with then you will still have it in prison so should still lie, but make it up some other way like donating money to charity etc you are a waste of taxpayers money if you're just sitting in jail because you told the truth about using a phone when you shouldn't have been and as a result hit someone and killed them.
Reply 5
ChrisG88
Occasionally the thought of this pops into my head and it's something that I find really scary. Particularly when I'm driving, it's so easy to lose concentration for a second and that could be all it takes.

I guess there are two parts to this question. How would you feel if you killed someone but it was their fault, they didn't look when crossing the road etc.

I'm sure whilst it's against the law, most drivers will admit to using their mobile whilst driving. How would you deal with it if you killed someone whilst using it? Would you own up to have been on your mobile whilst knowing the implications of that (prison) or could you live with the guilt and lie?

Call 999, tell them the truth, get my conviction and serve whatever punishment I have to. At the end of the day, I've killed someone, there's a dead body on the street because of me and I could've been the incautious human being crossing the road. The law is higher than anything else, a dead person's life is worth more than a few years in prison, sooner or later the truth will catch up. You might lie, but the cops will knock on your door one day and you'll have more trouble than expected on your back. Suck it up.
Reply 6
asdalol
God almighty, the nutters come out at night.

I don't really want to go to prison, so I'll try my best to get out of it :P and yes, lie if I have too!!

lol thanks for calling me a nutter.
Reply 7
Broderss
The same way I deal with spilling milk in the kitchen.

Leave it for someone else to clean up and get on with my day.

Good job you don't live on your own then, otherwise you'd be swimming in the stuff.
Cultivated
Call 999, tell them the truth, get my conviction and serve whatever punishment I have to. At the end of the day, I've killed someone, there's a dead body on the street because of me and I could've been the incautious human being crossing the road. The law is higher than anything else, a dead person's life is worth more than a few years in prison, sooner or later the truth will catch up. You might lie, but the cops will knock on your door one day and you'll have more trouble than expected on your back. Suck it up.

That is a very idealistic view of law and it's place in our society.

May I ask, why bound yourself to the morality of others? Surely morality is personal to who that holds it.

Would you not steal a loaf of bread to feed your starving child even though it is against the law? Would you not kill a man, even though it's against the law, if it were to save 100,000 people from certain death?
Reply 9
DaveParlour
That is a very idealistic view of law and it's place in our society.

May I ask, why bound yourself to the morality of others? Surely morality is personal to who that holds it.

Would you not steal a loaf of bread to feed your starving child even though it is against the law? Would you not kill a man, even though it's against the law, if it were to save 100,000 people from certain death?

I was responding mainly to the particular first scenario set by the OP, in relation to driving and accidentally causing the death of another person. Everything has its consequences and I have to own up to my mistakes, especially if I killed an innocent human being who has done no harm to me.

I would, however, kill 1 person to save 100 000, would steal to feed a starving family, would torture and murder a paedophile without feeling the smallest sense of guilt/regret. Those are ethical dilemmas and instincts. The legal system exists to create order; killing a completely innocent civilian without justifying my reasonings would be crossing the limits. Yes?
I thought police would check your phone records to see if you were on it whilst driving?

I don't drive, mostly because I hate the responsibility.
Cultivated
I was responding mainly to the particular first scenario set by the OP, in relation to driving and accidentally causing the death of another person. Everything has its consequences and I have to own up to my mistakes, especially if I killed an innocent human being who has done no harm to me.

I would, however, kill 1 person to save 100 000, would steal to feed a starving family, would torture and murder a paedophile without feeling the smallest sense of guilt/regret. Those are ethical dilemmas and instincts. The legal system exists to create order; killing a completely innocent civilian without justifying my reasonings would be crossing the limits. Yes?

'would torture and murder a paedophile without feeling the smallest sense of guilt/regret'

That sentiment I do not agree with, especially from someone who holds the law in the highest regard. Do you not think the law exists to protect these people for a reason? The same it does to protect the innocent civilian, who are you to decide life or dole out excruciating death?

My thoughts on peoples attitude to paedophilia are in the spoiler if you care for them (from a previous discussion), I know you were probably talking about the convicted molesters rather than someone who has downloaded a few dodgy pics, at least I hope so, but I hope it goes some way to explain why I disagree with the torture/murder of even the molesters.

Spoiler

Back on to the question raised by the OP, I was inquiring as to your reasons for holding the law in such high regard. For many years it was perfectly acceptable to drive whilst on a mobile phone, they just arbitrarily imposed a date that thereafter you would be punished for using a mobile as some people became incompetent whilst using them. What if you knew you were a completely competent driver whilst using it, and it had no effect on your ability to handle the car and stop the death of the pedestrian as they had walked out into your path, phone or no phone you would not have been able to not kill them. You would then sacrifice several years of your life for a law that someone has arbitrarily imposed upon you that does not apply explicitly to the situation.

You do not need to justify killing the innocent civilian, it was an accident, you never meant to so it is not an ethical dilemma.
Reply 12
I'd lawyer my ass up :cool:
I'd feel horribly guilty, but yea, still, I'd lawyer up + loads of psychotherapy :p:
People deal with it in different ways.
I'm not really sure how I would deal with it unless it actually happend, and I would rather it didn't happen.

I do tend to bottle things up though so I imagine that might be one way I'd deal with it.
Reply 14
DaveParlour
People in this thread have demonstrated a quite frankly terrible attitude towards paedophilia, and it disgusts me that the media is so much to blame in this. Paedophilia is, what we as a society would call, a mental illness. Most do not have a choice in it, it is the way their brain is naturally wired, a sexual preference like any other that we ALL have. It is just that society has determined that children are not capable of making an informed sexual choice, and so acting on a sexual preference towards children would be taking advantage and this is, quite rightly, unacceptable. However, the media has driven our culture of thought policing these people having completely natural desires and persecuting them as if they had physically attacked children. This situation helps no one. People who have these thoughts cannot share them for fear of this labelling, they can not seek professional help, cannot seek support from their family, they are left alone to deal with being confused and thinking they are some kind of monster, when they are not. They are just innocent people. They are hurt by something they cannot control, and it is my belief that by society suppressing these people into a shell, not allowing them to seek help, will actually mean more children are hurt in the end.

Admittedly a very small minority of paedophiles are so out of choice, drawn by the allure of the 'wrong' in their actions, but we as a society through the media have created this situation for ourselves. People need to learn to understand and accept paedophilia if we are to save more children from harm.

wow
If it was a convicted paedo, I'd go "oops" (complete with hand over mouth action) and continue deciding whether I want pepperoni or ham and mushroom pizza for dinner. Anybody else and I'd be quite upset. I wouldn't ever yap on my brick and drive though, that's quite retarded
I would admit it and serve my time in prison.
Reply 17
Get the **** off your phone when you're driving, everyone. Thanks.
Dude Where's My Username
If it was a convicted paedo, I'd go "oops" (complete with hand over mouth action) and continue deciding whether I want pepperoni or ham and mushroom pizza for dinner. Anybody else and I'd be quite upset. I wouldn't ever yap on my brick and drive though, that's quite retarded

At least replace the mushrooms with pineapple. Please? Otherwise I shall "accidentally" kill you.
Reply 19
Depends if it's my fault or not. If I wasn't concentrating or something then I'd feel, obviously, absolutely terrible and it'd upset me for the rest of my life. If it wasn't my fault, like pulling out right in front of me making me crashing into him, I'd still feel bad, but it wouldn't haunt me for the rest of my life.

Latest

Trending

Trending