The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

What does a (stereo)typical English/Welsh/Scottish/Irish person look like?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Marlena002
I honestly don't know why or what gives them away, but English people are very easy to spot for some reason. I can't put my finger on what it is about their appearance, but before they open their mouths I can guess nearly every time that they're English. I haven't noticed this so much with other countries. Bit bizarre.

Spot the english crowd :colone:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 41
Original post by No Man

2nd one? First one is definitely Dutch.
Welsh/Scottish of celtic(?) origin - dark hair and short. English - blonde hair and blue eyes (obvously not as strong as scandinavian countries). Irish - ginger/pale skin/blue eyes.
Really white and ugly. With bad teeth. Come at me, limeys.
Really white?
Reply 45

Like Willie!!!!!
Reply 46
Living in Canada, I've learned to pick Brits out of a crowd.
There is indeed a certain look about (some of) us that's distinct from all other peoples.
Reply 47
Suleiman_Bulbulia-450x300.jpg

stereotypical brit all right :yep:
Reply 48
Was gonna make the white joke! Got beaten to it :sigh:
Reply 49
Original post by Bellissima
I think these countries are lacking in stereotypical aesthetics... like in general italians/swedes/germans/french have a certain look... but brits don't really.

i mean english/welsh more than scottish/irish because scottish and irish people have more of a defining look than english/welsh...

is it because we're more of a mishmash of genes? or am i wrong and we do have a defining look?

you are wrong.

I fail to see how you can't tell that someone looks British, you even said oh the French look like X

I mean have you ever confused a English person with a Norwegian?

They just look 'not foreign'
Reply 50
A typical English person should be in appearance: quite pale skin (not Goth pale) but creamy white (English Rose), usually a heart-shaped face, quite defined cheek-bones but not really really obvious, I suppose a longish nose , roundish eyes (blue or green I suppose), brown or fair hair, thin and tallish. And in terms of mannerisms they should be: fairly quiet and reserved, quite prim and proper, guarded, never crying in public (with a few exceptions), quite private people in general, don't like to show much emotion in public, some would say 'cold', have to adore the Royal Family, be proud of their country, drink tea , can come across as a bit proud and stuck up, gracious and elegant, refined, a bit old fashioned BUT there's actually another version which I'm afraid represents the majority of the english (sorry this is what I've noticed): disturbingly pale complexion, overweight, frumpy, rotten brownish teeth, bad hygiene, arrogant for no reason (give it up, you don't have an Empire anymore), loud, boastful and foul mouthed, dreadful fashion sense, drunkards, have the ****test football national team of Europe :h:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by TheWorldEndsWithMe
OP certainly didn't make the effort to differentiate.
I mean, I am honestly shocked when the other Brits don't know there's a difference (not saying all of them don't, but still). If people who live literally 45 minites away don't know the difference then how can we expect anyone else to? :/ Explaining the Northern/Southern difference to an American is near-impossible, so I've just taken to saying 'I'm from Northern Ireland. I am not Irish. I am British. There's two different parts - like North and South America' which usually gets it across... (I keep getting asked when I'm on holiday because 'oh my god, your accent's adorable!')

No joke, today in work an Indian guy asked me where I was from, and when I said NI he asked me if I had a machine gun. :sigh:
Stereotypical Welshman: Short and wide, big shoulders and...big belly too. Think of an ageing rugby player.

And the same goes for the women! (I'm welsh btw, and I have noticed this!)
Original post by Popppppy
Irish: round open faces, freckles, curly hair, pale skin.

Who is this?
Original post by Bellissima
I think these countries are lacking in stereotypical aesthetics... like in general italians/swedes/germans/french have a certain look... but brits don't really.

i mean english/welsh more than scottish/irish because scottish and irish people have more of a defining look than english/welsh...

is it because we're more of a mishmash of genes? or am i wrong and we do have a defining look?

Some guy took thousands and thousands of images of people from countries around the world and made an 'average' of all their faces to give one final portrait.

So, according to this article, English people:
English.jpg
And Irish people:
Irish.jpg
There aren't any for Scots or Welsh people but it's interesting nonetheless.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 55
Original post by CocaineSquirrel
Some guy took thousands and thousands of images of people from countries around the world and made an 'average' all all their faces, giving one final portrait.

So, according to this article, English people:
English.jpg
And Irish people:
Irish.jpg
There aren't any for Scots or Welsh people but it's interesting nonetheless.

omg that is so cool and the best bit is the irish ones actually look typically irish!

all 4 good looking too obvs

i wonder if there's an american one..
Original post by KimKallstrom
Who is this?

No idea. Found her on google images.
Original post by No Man

Second group
Reply 58
Reply 59
Original post by Fward
I think being English, we dont really see stereotypical images of ourselves, but people from other countries may think there is a stereotypical look.

my cousins who live abroad all have this image that English people are clones of the queen

Latest

Trending

Trending