The Student Room Group

What Book Are You Reading Now? Mk II

Scroll to see replies

Today's Revision: Strait is the Gate by Andre Gide
Pleasure Reading: The Fry Chronicles by (obviously) Stephen Fry

Not really sure if I'm enjoying The Fry Chronicles... I'm not an autobiography fan. I've only read one other in my life. I'll stick with it for a while longer - probably better I don't get hooked on a book until after my assignments are in and my exams finished!
Original post by philistine
Death in Venice, by Thomas Mann.

I read it some time ago and I really liked it.

now reading: "The child of pleasure"-G. D'Annunzio
Original post by philistine
Death in Venice, by Thomas Mann.

I have quite a few novellas lined up, and I'm starting with that.

Revising for an exam that I have next week on 'The Novella' as a genre. Death in Venice is on my list of texts to focus on, though a lower priority than others! There is a lot that can be gained from it beyond the surface reading if you have knowledge of Apollo/Dionysus, which sadly, I missed on my first reading! There are a lot of similar readings to do with Hades and the Underworld etc! Really interesting if you're into that sort of thing! But, it's for that reason that I'm not prioritising it for my revision - I think it would take a lot of extra work to be able to answer a question on it, should that come up!

I'd be interested to hear what other novellas you plan to read? :redface:
Original post by beffnee
Today's Revision: Strait is the Gate by Andre Gide
Pleasure Reading: The Fry Chronicles by (obviously) Stephen Fry

Not really sure if I'm enjoying The Fry Chronicles... I'm not an autobiography fan. I've only read one other in my life. I'll stick with it for a while longer - probably better I don't get hooked on a book until after my assignments are in and my exams finished!

What is the one other autobiography you have read in your life? Did you enjoy that one? I read my first autobiography last year, Hitch-22 by Christopher Hitchens. I absolutely loved it so bought a few more, but haven't been able to get in to any of them. The most recent I tried was Alan Bennett's autobiography. It was a shortened version and I haven't even managed to get through that. I've got The Fry Chronicles on my bookshelf after finding it in a charity shop, not sure if I will get on any better with it. I think I may just have been really interested in Christopher Hitchens, and not be suited to autobiographies in general. :redface: Good luck with your revision!

I have just started The House of Mirth by Edith Wharton. I was supposed to be giving up reading for pleasure this term as I have my finals, but I think I need the stress relief! :tongue:
Original post by mrs_bellamy
What is the one other autobiography you have read in your life? Did you enjoy that one? I read my first autobiography last year, Hitch-22 by Christopher Hitchens. I absolutely loved it so bought a few more, but haven't been able to get in to any of them. The most recent I tried was Alan Bennett's autobiography. It was a shortened version and I haven't even managed to get through that. I've got The Fry Chronicles on my bookshelf after finding it in a charity shop, not sure if I will get on any better with it. I think I may just have been really interested in Christopher Hitchens, and not be suited to autobiographies in general. :redface: Good luck with your revision!

I have just started The House of Mirth by Edith Wharton. I was supposed to be giving up reading for pleasure this term as I have my finals, but I think I need the stress relief! :tongue:

Dear Fatty by Dawn French XD I was ill and bed-ridden, and it was the closest book I could find without getting up. I read it, but I can't say I was enthralled by it, nor that it made me want to read more autobiographies. Though, I've got absolutely no interest in Dawn French... I've never seen any of her comedy or anything else she has done... so that probably didn't help. I'm more interested in Stephen Fry, but sadly feel that is the way I will feel with this one too. Just don't think I'll ever be the sort to pick one out of choice!

Speaking of Edith Wharton, have you read The Age of Innocence? I read it for a module earlier in the year, on books that have won prizes (because it won the Pulitzer), and think I would have really enjoyed it if I had been able to savour it. As it happened, I had to read it very quickly to get it read in time. Might have to give it a second read at some point!
Original post by beffnee
Dear Fatty by Dawn French XD I was ill and bed-ridden, and it was the closest book I could find without getting up. I read it, but I can't say I was enthralled by it, nor that it made me want to read more autobiographies. Though, I've got absolutely no interest in Dawn French... I've never seen any of her comedy or anything else she has done... so that probably didn't help. I'm more interested in Stephen Fry, but sadly feel that is the way I will feel with this one too. Just don't think I'll ever be the sort to pick one out of choice!

Speaking of Edith Wharton, have you read The Age of Innocence? I read it for a module earlier in the year, on books that have won prizes (because it won the Pulitzer), and think I would have really enjoyed it if I had been able to savour it. As it happened, I had to read it very quickly to get it read in time. Might have to give it a second read at some point!

Haha yes that doesn't sound like a great introduction to autobiographies!! Well done for getting through it when you were ill!! I hope Stephen Fry's gets better. The main thing putting me off reading it at the moment is that it is very large and hardback and I can't be bothered to carry it around. :redface:

This is my first Edith Wharton actually. I have Age of Innocence on my bookshelf, but decided to read this one first for some reason. I am enjoying The House of Mirth, so I might read Age of Innocence next, thanks for the suggestion!
Reply 2206
I re-read the millennium triology by stieg larrsson recently. I love his writing style and his books are amazing reads.
I re-read the millennium triology by stieg larrsson recently. I love his writing style and his books are amazing reads.

I second that. :smile:

Currently reading The Slap, mainly because I got it free. Not really enjoying it that much; maybe it's a bit crude for me. :colondollar:

Probably going to start on Mockingjay after that though.
Currently powering through the song of fire and ice series. Been reading a different book in between each one to have a bit of a break. On the 3rd one atm :smile:
Finished The White Pearl by Kate Furnivall today. I'd been looking forward to it for ages the publication date kept being pushed back. I love her previous four novels so had high hopes. Whilst some things were great - the way she describes the setting is incredible, you can almost smell the heat and the flowers etc - but this story had one or two 'twists' too many that didn't actually make sense. Gutted. I am almost glad I've finished it, just so that it is over. :redface:
Original post by Ian80
Currently powering through the song of fire and ice series. Been reading a different book in between each one to have a bit of a break. On the 3rd one atm :smile:

I'm waiting until the 2nd series is done and I will start my 2nd read through them.
You're right about taking a break, they are big books.
Original post by adam271
I'm waiting until the 2nd series is done and I will start my 2nd read through them.
You're right about taking a break, they are big books.

I was watching it at the same time as reading it, obviously making sure that I was ahead in the book :smile:

It helped me realise who was who and what was going on :P
Like in the first book I so didn't notice that...
(Spoiler for first book)

Spoiler

And also, because I read it on the kindle, I can't flip to the back where it says who everyone is to remind myself. There are far too many names! :tongue:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reading How The Dead Live by Will Self.
I've read Dorian before, I find him a very interesting author, anyone else read any of his?
Reply 2213
Tess of the D'Urbervilles
Reply 2214
The Virgin Suicides
Just finished reading The Last True Story I'll Ever Tell.
Fantastic book about how it is like to fight in Iraq from the American PoV.
Just started Catch 22.

Only about 30 pages in but I'm not that sure about it at the moment..
Original post by Daydreamer18
Just started Catch 22.

Only about 30 pages in but I'm not that sure about it at the moment..

I read Catch 22 reccently, and it does take a while to get into it, but I'm not too sure that it's the great book a lot of people say it to be. Some bits are amazing, some are quite slow and tough to get through...

Keep at it though, it's worth the read :smile:
Generation X by Douglas Coupland. Loving it so far.
Reply 2219
Very close to the end of Nausea by Jean-Paul Sartre. Great read.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending