The Student Room Group

OCR Chemistry F321 Exam. - [Next Tuesday[

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Pride
1) yeah, so Mg is oxidised, the equation for that. Then H2O is reduced, the equation for that. Doing the full equation helps.

2)correct.
3)say the same element is both ox and red, not the atom
4 and 5)sounds good.

So is it mg2+ + o2 to give mgo ?
Original post by Pride
think about it. an orbital, is a region within an atom that can contain 2 electrons in opposite spin. In aluminium, there are 6 orbitals because 1s2, 2s2, 3s2, are all complete orbitals, and 2p6 is actually 3 orbitals, in one 'sub-shell'. similar question came up in jan 2012

cheers mate so every s2 shell is a full orbital? as theres 3 s'2s theres 6 orbitals? :3
Reply 62
Original post by Pride
It won't come up...

thanks :smile: pride like in Jan 2012 there was this N2H2 can we apply our knowledge to work out the angles and bonding pairs and lone pairs?
Reply 63
Original post by otrivine
So is it mg2+ + o2 to give mgo ?

No...

the full equation is
Mg + 2H2O --> Mg(OH)2 +H2

the ionic equations are:
Mg ---> Mg2+ + 2e-
2H2O ---> 2(OH)- +H2
Reply 64
thanks :smile: pride like in Jan 2012 there was this N2H2 can we apply our knowledge to work out the angles and bonding pairs and lone pairs?

yes, I remember that one, hydrazine.

It was easy if you drew it out. Like NH3, around each N atom, was another bonded N, and 2 bonded hydrogens, and a lone pair of electrons. So that's 4 regions of electron density, 109.5 - 2.5 = 107
Reply 65
Original post by Pride
No...

the full equation is
Mg + 2H2O --> Mg(OH)2 +H2

the ionic equations are:
Mg ---> Mg2+ + 2e-
2H2O ---> 2(OH)- +H2

but they will tell you which one is in aqueous solution right?
Reply 66
Original post by Pride
yes, I remember that one, hydrazine.

It was easy if you drew it out. Like NH3, around each N atom, was another bonded N, and 2 bonded hydrogens, and a lone pair of electrons. So that's 4 regions of electron density, 109.5 - 2.5 = 107

but NH3 has got 3 bonding pairs and 1 lone pair right but this one had 2 hydrogen with N
?
Reply 67
Original post by Craming Revision
cheers mate so every s2 shell is a full orbital? as theres 3 s'2s theres 6 orbitals? :3

each filled s sub shell is a full orbital.
each filled p sub shell is 3 full orbitals.

Remember also, sub shells fill one electron to each orbital in the sub shell first.

So next to aluminium, silicon Si (1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p2) still actually only has 6 full orbitals! 3p6 sub shell fills each orbital one electron at a time, then goes back to the first p orbital in the sub shell.

I really hope that makes sense. Keep asking questions if it doesn't, this is good revision for me too.
Reply 68
but NH3 has got 3 bonding pairs and 1 lone pair right but this one had 2 hydrogen with N
?

don't forget

The N atom is bonded to the N next to it, as well as the 2 Hydrogens. then the lone pairs are there, so 4
Reply 69
but they will tell you which one is in aqueous solution right?

I don't understand the question
Reply 70
Original post by Pride
don't forget

The N atom is bonded to the N next to it, as well as the 2 Hydrogens. then the lone pairs are there, so 4

oh yes of course yes now i get it !!! that was hard actually to get in an exam especially when you are under pressure! in an exam room .

So then how can you find oxidation like if they give you Sodium chlorate (7) how can you make it into a formula?
Original post by Pride
each filled s sub shell is a full orbital.
each filled p sub shell is 3 full orbitals.

Remember also, sub shells fill one electron to each orbital in the sub shell first.

So next to aluminium, silicon Si (1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p2) still actually only has 6 full orbitals! 3p6 sub shell fills each orbital one electron at a time, then goes back to the first p orbital in the sub shell.

I really hope that makes sense. Keep asking questions if it doesn't, this is good revision for me too.

o wow lmfao! amazing thanks lol i got it!! what did you get in jan? seems like your well prepared for tomorow!
Reply 72
Original post by Pride
I don't understand the question

like to write an equation ionic you need to know which one is aqueous correct like
Mg + HNO3
so HNO3 gives H+ and NO3- correct so the product formed would be Mg2+ cause the NO3- cancels out right?
Reply 73
oh yes of course yes now i get it !!! that was hard actually to get in an exam especially when you are under pressure! in an exam room .

So then how can you find oxidation like if they give you Sodium chlorate (7) how can you make it into a formula?

good question!

in sodium chlorate, there is Na, Cl and O right?
O is always 2- unless bonded to F or not bonded to anything.
Na is always +1 or 0 if not bonded to anything as it loses one electron.

chlorate 7 means chlorine's oxidation number is 7 (remember chlorine can have different ox numbers)

So +7 + +1 = +8
How many O's would make the charge = 0?
You need 4 Os then.
So NaClO4
Reply 74
Original post by Pride
good question!

in sodium chlorate, there is Na, Cl and O right?
O is always 2- unless bonded to F or not bonded to anything.
Na is always +1 or 0 if not bonded to anything as it loses one electron.

chlorate 7 means chlorine's oxidation number is 7 (remember chlorine can have different ox numbers)

So +7 + +1 = +8
How many O's would make the charge = 0?
You need 4 Os then.
So NaClO4

i get it so you did -8/-2 which gives you 4 oxygens i got it :wink: but when oxygen is bonded to F or not bonded to everything is it -2 charge or is it F2O ?
Reply 75
like to write an equation ionic you need to know which one is aqueous correct like
Mg + HNO3
so HNO3 gives H+ and NO3- correct so the product formed would be Mg2+ cause the NO3- cancels out right?

well you need to know which are important ions and what's just a spectator ion, or where the electrons are going.

Mg + 2HNO3 ---> Mg(NO3)2 + H2

ionic equations would be:
Mg + 2NO3- ---> Mg(NO3)2 +2e-
2H+ +2e- ---> H2
Reply 76
Original post by Pride
well you need to know which are important ions and what's just a spectator ion, or where the electrons are going.

Mg + 2HNO3 ---> Mg(NO3)2 + H2

ionic equations would be:
Mg + 2NO3- ---> Mg(NO3)2 +2e-
2H+ +2e- ---> H2

yes i got it
Reply 77
i get it so you did -8/-2 which gives you 4 oxygens i got it :wink: but when oxygen is bonded to F or not bonded to everything is it -2 charge or is it F2O ?

in F2O, the oxidation state of O is actually +2. This is because F is the only atom with a higher electronegativity than O, the electrons are pulled closer to the F atom than the O.

but that explanation won't come up, just no that F is the only exception, and F is always -1 oxidation state.
Reply 78
Original post by Pride
in F2O, the oxidation state of O is actually +2. This is because F is the only atom with a higher electronegativity than O, the electrons are pulled closer to the F atom than the O.

but that explanation won't come up, just no that F is the only exception, and F is always -1 oxidation state.

thanks and if they gave us the formula but had to say it in word sodium chlorate 7 will we have to do the same working?
Reply 79
thanks and if they gave us the formula but had to say it in word sodium chlorate 7 will we have to do the same working?

yep. It's normally not hard to work out.

What is NaClO3?

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest