The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Transferring to the Uni of Mancherster

Hey everybody!
Does anybody know if it's possible to transfer from another university to the University of Manchester in the first couple of weeks after starting the course? I haven't applied to Manchester this year and I've firmed Bristol already. I know I should've considered all universities before i applied but the thing is, I'm not from the UK and i had difficulties with my choices.
I know that Manchester is a huge uni, with a lot of students, so do you think it'd be a problem to transfer? And if there are any possibilities to transfer BEFORE the start of the term? (the problem is the term in Bristol starts in october and in Manchester it's september)
The course that interests me is Accounting and Finance.
I'd appreciate any feedback!
Reply 1
What you need to do is you need to contact manchester and see if they have any firm/insurance places for next year. If they do you need to see if they'll accept you onto their course. Presuming you have firmed it, you would then need to contact bristol and have them 'release' you so that you could apply through clearing to the Manchester course. There are a lot ifs and or buts, I'm afraid. It also depends why you want to transfer to Manchester because they will want a reason probably.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
It currently says there are places on extra. It is a bit unreliable but that is at least a good sign.
You'll need to contact the department direct, as this sort of thing depends almost entirely on factors that we have no information about - like how many space they have left, for instance.

However, don't be be disheartened if you don't manage to transfer to Manchester. Bristol is a wonderful city (I should know - I spent 19 years there!) with a great university, and I'm sure you'll have a fab time there and come out with a degree that is just as good.
Reply 4
When did you firm Bristol? I think you have a period of time where you can change your firm choice through UCAS (although when you've done this you can't change back) I know last year I had originally firmed UEA, but changed my mind and switched it through UCAS a week later by ringing them up.
Reply 5
Thank you for your advices, guys :smile:!
I've heard Bristol is a great city but it is still quite a small one, compared with Manchester. I've been living in the big city my whole life and it's easier for me to accomodate there (i know it may sound weird).
I will definitely ring them up once my finals are finished, do you think calling them when the clearing starts is a good idea?
tillytots - unfortunately i've firmed them about a month ago :frown:.
Well, i'll try. At least i won't feel guilty about not doing anything! :smile:
Original post by Popstar
Thank you for your advices, guys :smile:!
I've heard Bristol is a great city but it is still quite a small one, compared with Manchester. I've been living in the big city my whole life and it's easier for me to accomodate there (i know it may sound weird).
I will definitely ring them up once my finals are finished, do you think calling them when the clearing starts is a good idea?
tillytots - unfortunately i've firmed them about a month ago :frown:.
Well, i'll try. At least i won't feel guilty about not doing anything! :smile:

Bristol is a smaller city, but to be honest, once a city gets past a certain size, you simply don't have any reason to go to most of it, so those parts become irrelevant (despite being a student who is fairly 'mobile' within the city i.e. I don't just stay in student areas, I've never been north of Manchester city centre). And with Bristol, I can honestly say that it has always catered to my every need - it's still a big city (500,000 people, two universities, the regional capital, with lots of shops, services and nightlife) so I don't think you'll notice *that* much difference between Manchester and Bristol.
Reply 7
Original post by Origami Bullets
Bristol is a smaller city, but to be honest, once a city gets past a certain size, you simply don't have any reason to go to most of it, so those parts become irrelevant (despite being a student who is fairly 'mobile' within the city i.e. I don't just stay in student areas, I've never been north of Manchester city centre). And with Bristol, I can honestly say that it has always catered to my every need - it's still a big city (500,000 people, two universities, the regional capital, with lots of shops, services and nightlife) so I don't think you'll notice *that* much difference between Manchester and Bristol.

Thank you for the reply! Well, I guess in the end of the day the city doesn't matter as much. I just hope i won't be the only foreigner in Bristol :biggrin:.
Original post by Popstar
Thank you for the reply! Well, I guess in the end of the day the city doesn't matter as much. I just hope i won't be the only foreigner in Bristol :biggrin:.

Definitely, definitely, definitely (is that enough definitelies?) not the only foreigner in Bristol!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending